• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cutting down wide tracks

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
I've read where folks talk about cutting down 10'6" tracks to 8'. "It's easy, just whack them off and you're ready for the hwy". I can see it as a temporary measure but I'm not real comfortable without knowing more. I'm thinking its complex when considering the condition of all the track components. Anyone have experience, sage advice, or previous thread?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
what kind of tracks are you cutting, you will loose flotation, and some performance you could also gain some else where like my full s sized 2100 not a good choice for being around trees at 14 feet.

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
I apologize for being vague. This is a Spryte question with no specific width in mind. I'm still a little confused when I see WT - does this always mean the same thing on 1200's? I'm still new and looking for an 8' 6" max width cat this spring/summer. Thanks very much.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if you were intending to use the cat for winter use with the intention of being able to transport it from site to site than I would say remove the out side belt. as you are saying summer remove both out side belts, the extreme twisting of the track on un even summer conditions will throw a track quick in the summer been there and done that if you have j grousers you might plan on taking a plasma cutter and knocking off the tall side a bit you don't need 4 inches of bite in the summer.

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Don. Winter use only for me. I'll get better at having my questions together. I really appreciate all your knowledge. I'm sure it came with a whole lot of skinned knuckles. I'm thinking you'd unbolt and remove the outside belt and plasma cut the grousers. I just want to make I don't hurt a cool old Spryte.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
at 9 k my 2100 would suffera real performance drop by removing some track on a sprite a symmetric tracks will work fine I believe a plasma cutter will work fine no need to remove the outer belt unless you want to save it for a spare.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
As your cutting watch the dollar signs fly away. Those grousers are unobtanium for those in need. If your 1200 has the wide axles you will not like the performance. Local gent has detracked his 3 times this winter after narrowing a set. He is looking for wide grousers now. I would do carefully measuring before firing up the plasma.

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reality check. Looking at a couple of 8' machines right now - and will definitely stay on that course.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bear Gap. Not an expert just a rookie
to me in my world,
The images are of a Standard old normal track.

If someone says Wide Track or WT all the machines that i looked at in my search's had another belt in and out side.
to accomplish this extra belt, the rear diff has its axle width set a bit wider.

So Like the general consensus that is growing above.

I will weigh in on the don't cut it side, hold the course machines are out there that fit your needs.

$.02

Attachments

• DSC03106 (Small).JPG
    DSC03106 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC02494 (Small).JPG
    DSC02494 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 270

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Great information and pics. Sweet cat!!I will never cut a track down as grousers are a finite resource. I would think about reconfiguring a cat and buying a pair of 8 footers (like when my rich first wife sends me 10k). I wonder how realistic/expensive it is to change axles to go from WT to ST? I'll bet there's more to it than meets the eye. There's some sweet 1201 10'ers in foster care out there....

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my shopping stops on the east coast (mass) the seller of a 601, had a thiokol Spryte A model (which has the OC 4 as a OEM diff) and a model 2100 very wide machine like snow tracn nome, merged into one cat.
He cut all the axles and narrowed them to Spryte C model width.
He installed the 2100 diff and sourced the outer axles accordingly.

I was inexperienced and was not catching all of the modifications, but his project was cool and did not seem that technical.
I have come to the realization that I can build a machine to what I want and need.

Although if I won the lottery, I would be the first person bankrupt due to unfinished projects...... I would be sober and tired, but dead from exhaustion just the same.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
one that caught my eye was listed here for sale was adjustable hydraulic tracks that moved in for transport. it was described like the way the small excavators tracks adjust in.
this was mine in the beginning of my project .I cut it to 8.5 wide

DSC01583.jpg

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
What a cool machine. Is that the Litefoot design? What's the drivetrain? How did you configure it for 8'6" - custom fab or PB parts? Are the tracks similar to 1200 series? Hope you don't mind all the questions.

ive cut lots of sets of tracks----go for it-----something to check out is having the same belting on each side of your wheels-------also here in the north east when all the clubs started buying worn out pb cats off ski hills and had to cut tracks ---after cutting outside belt off it left one belt on outside of wheels and 2 on the inside----so the tracks would droop---on the inside making the track guides always rub on tires----so I would build a bracket on inside frame with a six inch foam filled tire-----and when cutting tracks if side slip is not a big deal for you ----cut grousers edges at a 45 degree angle on the inside and outside this will help you not walk out of your tracks ----and always remember this about your tracks-----they stop on the bottom-----lol