• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Walking HADRIAN'S WALL from North Sea to Irish Sea

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOOL UPDATE ~ the multi-day 'stink' test:

Well I've not gone totally caveman, but I have worn the Wool baselayer tops for 2 days each and there is no "funk" or "stench" smell from the shirts, they seem to be naturally anti-stink.

On the other hand the Polyester shirts tend to smell with a nasty funk almost immediately after any exercise or work.

But then I got an Anti-Microbial Treated Polyester shirt and tried that out for 2 days. No stench from that either. The Anti-Microbial is a Columbia brand shirt. It cost about $40 for the anti-stink Polyester. So a regular/untreated polyester shirt is less expensive, those run $20 to $30. The Merino Wool shirts are still a lot more expensive, running $50 to $85 each.

I'm not sure what shirts I like the best. Honestly I think the Polyester shirts are a bit more comfortable to wear than the Wool shirts. There is no 'itch' factor with the Poly. The Merino Wool is NOT itchy like regular wool, but there is still a little bit of itch to it. You don't notice the itch when you are active, but its probably not the type of shirt to wear if you want to 'cuddle' and watch a movie with your sweetie. As for durability I honestly can't say which shirt is the best option, there is a long history of Merino Wool being stink-free for the life of the shirt, I don't know if that is true for the Anti-Microbial Polyester shirts???

This is the new Columbia shirt:
image_zps8cdace54.jpg

image_zpsbf8f84c3.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In my never ending search for safe water and ultra-light weight water carriers I stumbled across this website from a link on the National Geographic gear page. Its similar to the Sawyer Mini, but its in the shape of a long straw that actually fits inside the pouch. The pouch looks much more robust than the Sawyer pouch, which is prone to bursting at the seam.

http://vapur.us/outdoor/microfilter
The Vapur® MicroFilter is a lightweight, chemical-free water filtration system that utilizes the most advanced hollow fiber membrane technology. The Vapur MicroFilter safely removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (such as Salmonella, Cholera and E. coli) and 99.9% of protozoa (including Cryptosporidium and Giardia).

Together, the bottle and MicroFilter weigh just 2.7 ounces, and the filter is capable of purifying up to 500 liters of safe drinking water from lakes, rivers, streams and tap water.

Price is cheap enough that you could easily have 1 of these for every hiker.

Combined weight of filter + pouch/anti-bottle = 2.7 ounces. Cost about $14.00

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn Bob !!! By the time you actually do make this trip , you will look like the Poster Child for a Cabela's ad. How in the hell are you going to use all this crap????
Remember 1 pair of underwear is good for 4 days . Front , back , inside out front , inside out back . Simple but effective

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, not Cabela's. They actually don't sell any real hiking gear. They sell camping gear, its bigger, heavier and less portable.

As for this trip, my plan is to keep my backpack weight under 25# with all this gear . . . and remember, I'm carrying rain gear for my wife too. And first aid for the group. And cooking stove for the group.

But water is HEAVY so if I can carry a small filter that weighs a couple ounces I may be able to eliminate the need to carry a full water bottle or two and save 3 to 5 pounds.

The other thing to remember is that I am TESTING this stuff, but not necessarily TAKING all this stuff. I can pretty well tell you that the regular polyester 'wicking/performance' shirts are NOT going. But the wool shirts will go, and possibly a 'treated/anti-microbial' polyester shirt. ONLY the stuff that performs well is going. So 1 stove, not several. The best (no stink/no shoulder seams/comfortable) shirts, not all. The best socks (Darn Tough), not all. With equipment weight the LIGHTEST is likely to be in my pack.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Anything you need researched from this side of the pond feel free to ask me and i will sort it for you Bob.

I can say the North of the UK you will find a hell of a lot cheaper than the south,hiking supplies will also be easy to come by so don't stress if you forget to pack anything.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Galvy, I do have a fuel question for you. The stove that I will take needs fuel. Fuel is not allowed to be flown on passenger flights. So that leaves me with fuel questions. Are "Esbit" fuel tablets common over there? What about "denatured alcohol/mentholated spirits"? Or the small iso-butane canisters?

I've eliminated one of my stoves because of size/weight. The other 3 are tiny little stoves that will still make coffee or heat up a lunch. Each requires a very specific fuel. But I'm not really sure how easy it is to buy any of the fuel types in the UK.

ESBIT FUEL CUBES => http://www.campmor.com/esbit-solid-fuel-tablets.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=81292WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

DENATURED ALCOHOL => http://www.essentialhardware.com/product_detail.php?pid=157963&gclid=CKHn4JCc2roCFSgSMwodkkUAtg

ISO BUTANE CANISTERS (sold under many different brands, all look the same) => http://www.outdoorsinc.com/products...582&gpla=pla&gclid=CP2Q686c2roCFfA7MgodDx0Asw

Galvatron

Alcohol and cubes are new to me but the canisters are easy to get your hands on....

Halfords are a nationwide chain in nearly every town so this link should give you a good idea on what i use for camping but i will look in to the fluid and tablets for you.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165650_langId_-1

This link for argos a store again in most towns shows what i think you want and how cheap they are to purchase...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9278534.htm

Esbit are here in the UK but not sure where you will be located but they are on Amazon UK [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aloe-Gator-Esbit-Solid-Cubes/dp/B004BTWC6G"]Aloe Gator - Esbit Solid Fuel Cubes: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

mentholated spirits can be purchased from all hardware stores so i think you are ok on all your options.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
THANKS . . . As long as its all available I can have my sister go buy it and I can pick it up from her!

Now I can make my decisions based on weight/size/performance of each in my testing here, then I know it will work for me there.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Bob just remember i am here in the UK so if there is anything i could purchase or have you buy and send to me to save export costs and excess luggage charges i am happy to help...could post to your UK destination for when you arrive ect.

Happy to help out in any way.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvy thanks, but my sister also lives there, just west of London, I'm going to stay with her for a few days before we start our walk and my plan is to have her get whatever I need that is not possible to ship.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
125 miles round trip to Eddie Bauer store...for nothing!

For the walk across England I want to get a new 'soft shell' jacket, its basically a light fleece layer with a nylon or similar light layer over the top for a bit of wind/rain resistance. Eddie Bauer has a line of clothing favored by hikers and climbers called their FIRST ASCENT line. Its only sold in specific stores that are authorized to carry this stuff. Those stores are few and far between, the closest on is roughly 62 miles away.

But, my sister came into town from the UK and wanted to go shopping as prices in the US are roughly 50% lower than prices in the UK due to things like the VAT Tax.

So knowing of the closest FIRST ASCENT store, and knowing its in a mall that will make the women folk of the group happy, I suggest the Oakbrook mall. I can split off, go see what I want, meet up with the ladies later.

Good theory. First, I checked to see that the Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT store carries the specific item. Can't say 100% for sure based on their website, but it appears they do. So great, I'm good to go to the mall (something I hate).

90 minutes, 4 toll booths on the Illinois Tollway later, higher gas and sales taxes later we arrive at the mall. I depart the girls, who seem to be fascinated by all things shiny in Nordstrom, and head off on my trek to check out the holy grail of soft shell jackets, winner of multiple awards for 2013 from both the climbing and the hiking media. Finding the Eddie Bauer store was easy enough, walk in and the first 1/4 of the store is all FIRST ASCENT clothing. Wow, could this get any better? I'm just starting to look around when clueless salesboy BIFF show us with his oh-so-styled hair to ask if I need some help.
Why yes Biff, I do. I'm looking for a FIRST ASCENT Accelerant Soft Shell Jacket.

hmmm..... is it one of those, over there?

Uh, no, its a technical soft shell for hiking and climbing.

hmmm..... what colors are you looking for?

Uh, not really sure, just want to see the construction and try it on for size. Its the ACCELERANT style, won several awards, I need it for a long distance hike.
About this time Biff's sales buddy Bevis(?) shows up to help resolve the quandary
May I haalp you fiiind something (I spelled it like it sounded :hammer: )

Uh, yes, I was asking your boy Biff over there if someone could show me one of the FIRST ASCENT Accelerant Soft Shell Jackets.

hmmm..... is it one of thoooose over therrrre behind youuuuu???

Well I looked there, I don't see it.

hmmm..... I don't think we selllll that one in thiiiisssss store.

You don't think or you don't know?​
Can you figure out where this is going?

Need I go on?

WTF!?!

I'm not really a fan of Eddie Bauer, at least not for the past 30 years since they got bought out and turned into a fashion company from a real outdoors clothing company. But their FIRST ASCENT line of products seem to be well trusted, well designed, well made and worthy of consideration. Figured I'd give them another try.

I still want to see the specific item, I still will consider it. But I will not suffer fools to try it on.

Kane

Pardon me for asking, but just how much is all of this new-fangled gear going to cost? Seems like it's gonna be one expensive walk.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno. The soft shell jackets are roughly $150.

The other stuff???

But as we walk/hike a lot, most of the things in this thread are not specific to only this trek.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
But as we walk/hike a lot, most of the things in this thread are not specific to only this trek.

I'm glad you told me that. With all the gear and testing I was starting to think that the 8-day amble across the north of England was just the precursor to a one month trek across the Gobi Desert. :yum::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not the Gobi Desert, but I may make a 40+ day hike from Southern France across Northern Spain in a year or two?

BY THE WAY, if anyone wants any clothing from the Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT line of technical clothing, its on sale at 30% off now to Dec 2, with FREE SHIPPING if you use the promotional code ICY when you place an on-line order.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not the Gobi Desert, but I may make a 40+ day hike from Southern France across Northern Spain in a year or two?

Now, that would be a trip to remember. You better keep up the training because they have some real "hills" there. I believe they're called the Pyrenees.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now, that would be a trip to remember. You better keep up the training because they have some real "hills" there. I believe they're called the Pyrenees.
Yes, the Pyrenees.

But I've been assured that the part from southern France to Spain is all downhill. :wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took my own advice, went on-line shopping at Eddie Bauer/First Ascent. Bought a HANGFIRE jacket and an ACCELERANT jacket. Both have great reputations in the hiking and climbing communities with the user reviews. Figured that one of them would end up being returned. But as I couldn't try them on, feel the fabric weight, etc, and as the sale ends today with both free shipping and 30% off, I just bought them both and will decide at home.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd do a bit of a gear follow-up.

Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT "Hangfire"

This is a technical fleece jacket (also available as a hoodie, but I got the jacket style) that is made of two different fabrics. On the bottom side of the arm, around the cuff, up to the armpit and then down the side of your body is a somewhat stretchy fabric that is designed to flex and breathe and allow excess heat to dissipate. The front and back panels are the fleece fabric, but not the fuzzy type that kids wear. The fleece also has some stretch to it but not as much as the side/arm panels. The outer face is somewhat smooth, the inner face of the fabric is very lightly napped. The combination of the two fabrics work very well together as the HANGFIRE fits over baselayers without becoming cumbersome. It also fits under shell layers without bunching up because the outer layer of the fabric won't grab your other layers but it still stays put so the sleeve don't ride up, the body doesn't twist over/under other layers, etc. So its sort of that middle layer that can be worn over an undershirt, or even a button down dress shirt to keep you a bit warmer in a cool house, and it can stay on under your other layers or even under a parka for extra warmth.

This is neither a wind-proof nor water-resistant outer shell type jacket. Its more like a modern day light weight sweater that zips up, but also, due to the two different stretching fabrics, it tends to stay where you want it to stay, never bunches or becomes a hinderance, and it provides an extra bit of insulation if you need it.

Its been too cold to really wear it for what I intend to use it for, that is an added bit of insulation in the spring, summer or fall on those days, or during those cooler parts of days, when a baselayer is just not enough. But I will also say that the HANGFIRE has become a near constant companion of mine (OK, I don't sleep in it).

Just like MR. RODGERS had his cardigan sweaters to wear around his 'neighborhood,' so I have my HANGFIRE jacket.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR REVIEW: Koppen Base-Layer Shirts:

I like these shirts for casual wear, but they are NOT going to be making the 'cut' and going to England with me. For a real trip like that I want the odor control of merino wool or a treated polyester. These shirts stink when you sweat and there is no way you can hike across an island, even a small one like England, without working up a good sweat.​

Koppen appears to be the 'store brand' from Dick's Sporting Goods. So since Dick's has taken down all their BLACK GUNS its a strike against the brand right off the get go.
image_zps95722084.jpg

I have 3 of these shirts, been wearing them for nearly a year. All 3 are very similar. 2 identical except for the iron-on logo and color, the last one has a 3 button neckline in the "Henley" shirt style.

All 3 use the same 100% polyester fabric. Its a waffle weave fabric that adds a bit of insulating air space when teamed up with a mid-layer shirt over it. But in the heat the waffle weave works very effectively to pull moisture away from your skin during active hikes. They also act to effectively protect your skin from sunburn in the summer with an SPF rating that I seem to recall is 50. So while these are long sleeve shirts, they are light weight and can be used as summer shirts for hikes. They are attractive enough that you don't appear to be wearing an 'undershirt' while hiking. Logo designs vary from shirt to shirt and they seem to offer about a half dozen, or more colors.

All seams are sewn flat so your backpack straps won't cause you additional pressure/wear spots when they push against the seams. The shoulder construction is a caped design so there is NO seam running across the top of your shoulder, its moved forward several inches and the shoulder strap of your backpack does not directly press down on the seam. Sleeves are long enough and fitted well enough that they don't bunch or ride up your arm. The fabric, despite its waffle weave design, is fairly slick so your mid-layer shirts will not snag or pull on these when worn as base layers.

My wife thought I was crazy for wearing them when we went on our daily summer 5 mile hikes, but the wicking of moisture is effective with this waffle weave and the slightest breezes went through the fabric, the combination helped keep me cool.

Annoying laundry tag. I'd prefer it was a decal that was printed on the inside of the shirt, but being a "waffle weave" style of fabric a decal style tag probably wouldn't work well? You can also see the seam detail, which is well done and non-rubbing against your skin.
image_zps9b52c60a.jpg

Couple of downsides to these shirts. First, there is an interior laundry tag that is annoying. Remove it or learn to live with it. Second, its polyester so when you sweat it will get a funky smell. Polyester shirts just do that, I don't know why. But there is no hiding the odor of a sweating man in a polyester shirt because the fabric, unlike wool which kills order, seems to magnify the odor! SOME polyester shirts have an "anti-microbial" odor blocker, others use Silver, or Charcoal or similar additives to help kill odor, but these are budget priced shirts, often found on sale for about $15 each, and offer zero odor control.

On the bright side there is a small KOPPEN loop style tag on the bottom seam of the shirt. If you want to rinse the shirt in a stream or other water source, the loop tag on the bottom seam is a great place to hang the shirt from. Nice feature.

Close up view of the waffle weave fabric + loop tag that allows you to hang the shirt from a string, branch, etc:
image_zpse8e677a5.jpg

Consider these as cheap 'workout' shirts that will go into the laundry after you finish your local hike, run, training, etc. For the price (when on sale) they are a good value. But, as with all other untreated polyester shirts, you need to be able to toss them in the laundry when you strip them off. Wearing one of these on a multi-day 'thru-hike' would be torture to your nose and the noses of your hiking companions unless you could wash/rinse it daily. But even then, by lunch you will be the 'smelly' guy in the group.

As DICK'S SPORTING GOODS turned its back on the Pro-Gun community, consider a different brand of similar design.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmm, one of my old high school classmates would have a short trip taking that route; probably just over a half a day. I got word from him that he had completed his 30th consecutive 100 mile run between Christmas and New Years. He said that this year was his slowest (understandable) at just under 18 hours. I assume he probably wouldn't have to pack very much at all, huh?

On a similar note; why in the heck would any human ever want to run 100 miles?! I ran some 5k and even a couple of 10k races with him back in college but anymore, I'm not sure my back would be very happy if I ran 1k now. A 100 mile run would be out of the question even at gunpoint. :sad:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmm, one of my old high school classmates would have a short trip taking that route; probably just over a half a day. I got word from him that he had completed his 30th consecutive 100 mile run between Christmas and New Years. He said that this year was his slowest (understandable) at just under 18 hours. I assume he probably wouldn't have to pack very much at all, huh?
Brent, that is a sport unto itself. Not sure I'd ever want to do that, but some speed hikers also do long distance running. I'm more of a meandering window-shopper sort of hiker who strolls along at about 3 miles per hour on pavement, or about half that pace through fields, on trails, etc. For roadway day hikes, if the lovely Mrs_Bob is not with me, I'll push up to 4mph and work up a nice sweat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Impressions ~ FIRST ASCENT Accelerant Jacket by Eddie Bauer

I've had this odd jacket for less than a month, and I call it odd because I'm not really sure what it is supposed to be. But it seems to do a lot of different stuff. It is like a cameleon in that it seems to take on the characteristics needed for the task.

Despite the nylon (?) facing and the Priimaloft insulation, this is NOT a 'hardshell' jacket. It is NOT windproof. It is NOT waterproof.
image_zps9c559ba8.jpg

First off this is a LIGHTWEIGHT jacket. About half the weight of a typical cotton/khaki spring windbreaker. But it has Primaloft insulation in the front and back panels for warmth. Then it has stretch vent panels down the sides, and up through the underarm and then back down the underside of the arms to keep you cool. But then it has a stretch hood as well as extendable cuffs with thumb-holes for warmth. So it keeps you cool and it keeps you warm?

Like I said, its an odd jacket. But I'm really beginning to appreciate it for all it offers and I can see why a couple different outdoor/adventure magazines named it an Editor's Choice.

If the temps are above 30-degrees-F and you are out and about and active (X-country skiing, hiking, etc), this little jacket will keep you warm without overheating assuming you have a baselayer and a shirt or sweater over your baselayer. If the temps are above 40-degrees-F and you are sitting on the sidelines at a football game and the wind is blowing, even just a little bit, you will probably be pretty darn cold by the end of the game. This is clearly a jacket for ACTIVE wear, not for casual wear.

The side stretch vents keep you from over heating when being active but do little to keep you warm if you are just sitting, standing or strolling along window-shopping downtown with your spouse. You can see the fabric detail below, the bright green (it is available in more subdued colors) 'shell' covers the insulation and adds a bit of wind resistance but the softer gray/blue stretch material offers no block for the winds and minimal insulation. Being a stretch material they also help to keep the jacket from moving around too much, this is designed to fit you, not necessary be stuck to you, but clearly you don't want it moving around under your backpack or riding up on your while you are climbing, hiking, or skiing.
image_zps6afba93d.jpg

You can see the hood in the photo below, which is a different type of stretch material. The extendable cuffs with thumb holes are the same material as the hood. The hood fits well and moves with you, rather than one of those hoods where your head rotates inside the hood. This is a well designed hood! Its also thin enough that its not obtrusive, you can wear it under a hat, it doesn't prevent you from hearing, and as I stated, but cannot understate, it actually moves with you! The photo also lets you see the areas where there is insulation in the jacket. Those areas have the shiny inner fabric and include the whole back panel and the whole front, plus the tops and sides of each arm. I should point out that if you wear a mid-layer shirt/sweater you will be holding your cuffs when you insert your arms into the jacket sleeves as some fabrics will 'stick' to the stretch fabric along the underside of the sleeves. But once your arms are in the jacket the sleeves don't ride up or bunch. Further, the extendable cuffs are a nice feature for a bit of added warmth, but area also easily folded into the arms and thin enough not to become obtrusive.
image_zpsa5d62620.jpg

The zippers are water resistant, but the jacket clearly is NOT designed for the rain. Snow may shed off it, but this is still a 'softshell' design and works as both a MID-LAYER and a LIGHT OUTER LAYER.
image_zps8b0147f4.jpg

Insulation is Primaloft 100.
image_zps7221cde4.jpg

My FIRST IMPRESSIONS of this jacket are VERY FAVORABLE. They are only available at selected Eddie Bauer stores that sell their FIRST ASCENT line of clothing, or on-line.

GEAR UPDATE: First Ascent ACCELERANT jacket:

Been using the First Ascent ACCELERANT jacket more lately and it really impresses me.

Today I had some errands to run, some work with my tractor outside, some tasks outdoors and I was dressed pretty lightly in a Koppen polyester baselayer, a button down shirt and then the First Ascent ACCELERANT jacket. 6" of snow on the ground, mid-20's temps, occasional wind gusts but not steady wind.

The First Ascent ACCELERANT kept me warm in the car, kept me warm while I was active and for the most part kept me warm when I was in the tractor seat too . . . but this jacket is clearly designed for ACTIVE wear and not for PASSIVE activities. Sitting in the tractor seat is NOT really active and when the wind caught me it cut right through the jacket (remember, this is NOT a wind breaker but it does have some wind resistent panels in addition to some very breathable panels). While I was more active, attaching a heavy implement to the tractor's 3pt hitch and moving around I had NO issues with keeping warm. The hood, while fairly light and thin, did an excellent job of keeping my ears, and neck, plus my head warm.

In my earlier review of this light weight jacket I called it a chameleon in that it was adaptable to a lot of different circumstances and I think that may be a very good description. Its light, and capable and adaptable and becoming a very handy jacket. Now I'm thinking that I need a new, lighter shell that will team up with the First Ascent ACCELERANT.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR UPDATE: First Ascent HANGFIRE Fleece Midlayer:

The HANGFIRE is available in a "jacket" style or in a full zip "hoodie" style midlayer garment. I picked up the jacket style. It is constructed of 2 main types of fabric. The blue fabric is a reversed fleece, with the inside being the napped side. The outer side is the smoother side of the fabric. The fleece is slightly stretchy. The gray panels are where the real stretch for the garment comes into play, they also offer greater ventilation.

Front view:
image_zps9042e06a.jpg

Front Detail view of fabric, front pocket, and stretch panel:
image_zps79632a55.jpg

Inside detail view of fabric. Notice the pocket has a hole for your ear buds/head phones. The inside of the pockets are a mesh style fabric. Not sure if you can see the light nap finish on the inside of the fleece panels?
image_zpsef560bf7.jpg

Back view of the HANGFIRE showing the gray stretch vent panels and the blue fleece panels.
image_zps1a4cf90e.jpg

Lower pocket detail, the metal zipper pulls are tiny, but the extension loops make it easy to use the zippers.
image_zps5c7d7ccc.jpg

In the various photos you can see that the seams are triple stitched and seams are a flat, non-chafing design. The shoulders are a raglan style so there is no seam on the top of the shoulder to get rubbed by your pack straps. The design of this jacket is a light fleece mid-layer and it it close fitting enough to wear under other layers but loose fitting enough to wear over a baselayer.

While this is called a "jacket" it really is very similar to a highly updated modern day cardigan sweater.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
"The Way" starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez.

If you and the missus haven't watched it yet, you should. We just did. It was a good movie. Watch it when you get a chance. Sounds similar to walking Hadrian's wall. Good movie.

MV5BMTU4MzM4NzkyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQwNjMzNg@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen it. Twice. Don't think the lovely Mrs_Bob has watched it.

I'd love to do that walk too, its 500 miles!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a STOIC ALPINE 150 weight Merino Wool/Synthetic 60/40 blend shirt that I liked so much I bought 2 more in other colors. Paid $34.95 from "SteepandCheap" but they are now all sold out. Same shirts are available from other souces, like Backcountry.com

Here is the shirt I got, but not from this supplier: => Stoic Alpine Merino 150 Crew Shirt - Long-Sleeve - Men's | Backcountry.com

image_zpsee6ec818.jpg

Being a blend with only 60% wool, its a very comfortable shirt to wear, not a body fit, but also not a loose fit shirt. Its somewhere in between in that it fights close to the body but not tight. I like the fact that it has 2 contrasting colors of fabric and a third color of stitching so while it clearly can perform the task of "baselayer" shirt, it also can be worn alone as a light weight long sleeve shirt.

The shirt is long enough to not pull out of your pants when you bend over if tucked in at your waist. It also has extra long sleeves with thumbholes. Nice touch.

One thing I wondered about was the anti-stick properties of a blended fabric with wool and polyester. Wool is great for anti-stink but polyester creates a nasty funk. The blend seems to be 'stink free' and the price was right so I'm happy I picked up 3 of these before they ran out of stock.