Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Open Forum

Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,674 Times in 2,909 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Smile College saga continues . . .

Melen was just accepted to Wake Forest University (#27) in Winston-Salem, NC

Its the highest ranked school to which she has gotten an acceptance. She was "wait listed" at U of C (#4) and at Washington U (#14), which is sort of an acceptance. (EDIT):She was also "wait listed" at Boston College. Basically it says we want you but we don't have a spot for you, if a spot opens we will call you.

Oh, and on the down side she was rejected by Northwestern (#12). She's waiting to hear from Boston College (#31) but I believe she may have been rejected and am simply waiting for the formal letter.

She still waiting to hear from Harvard (#1), Johns-Hopkins (#13), William & Mary (#33) and Lehigh (#37). Even if accepted to Lehigh I do not believe she will attend. My best guess is that her first choice may be Johns-Hopkins. One of her other top choices is William & Mary, but they only accept 1/3 of their freshman class from "out of state" so its very tough to get into that school if you don't have a Virginia address.

She has already been accepted by Xavier (Regional #4) and Fordham (#58).

Her criteria for picking a school caused her to bypass many other choices. She wanted a school that was roughly 5000 to 7500 students. So that knocked out many quality small and large schools. She wanted a school that was NOT in a rural area, again, knocking out many quality schools. She wanted a suburban or urban campus, again knocking out many other schools. She also wanted a school that was a 'research' university.
Attached Images

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
nullius in verba

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,429 Posts
Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: College saga continues . . .

If she makes it into Washington U Franc could be a "surrogate Dad" as needed. He's just down the street after all!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Well we shall see what happens.

We are sort of taking all this one step at a time and hoping she gets to college in the fall.

She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back. At which point the surgeons tell us that she should be recovered enough to attend school in the fall. It may put halt on her fencing career. Fencing season for college is wintertime, even if she makes it to school she may not be released for sports.

We've got our fingers crossed that all will go well and that she will attend school in the fall (75% probability) but there may be a deferred admittance to have her start up a semester late ... depending on the recovery from surgery.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,440 Times in 1,966 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danang Sailor View Post
If she makes it into Washington U Franc could be a "surrogate Dad" as needed. He's just down the street after all!
I'm sure the girl has enough challenges with which to deal. But,,,I'll be glad to step in if needed.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I'm sure the girl has enough challenges with which to deal. But,,,I'll be glad to step in if needed.
Well she does need a swift kick every once in a while

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Well Melen was NOT rejected by Boston College.

She got "wait listed" at Boston College.

There were over 33,000 applications for 1325 openings. Its not my favorite school, very urban. Not ranked as high as Wake Forest either. But I think it might be a more fun place to go than Wake Forest.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Racial discrimination hits home

Melen attends a school that is about 49% white, 51% various minorities. Among her best friends are bi-racial, black and hispanic kids. Her best friend is a hispanic-asian. Her prom date this year is a nice black boy on the fencing team. She (and we) have been very open to all races, religions, etc in her circle of friends.

But today things seemed to boil over on several fronts. Several minority students were "accepted" to places like Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc and they have grade point averages that are well below Melen's and several of her friends. In some cases the minority students have GPAs that are a full point below the top of the class kids.

Melen and several of her friends at the 'top of the class' have GPAs in the 4.5 to 4.7 range (out of a possible 4). They achieve these averages by taking college classes in high school and getting A's in those classes. So now as pressure builds to get into the nation's elite schools she is seeing racial profiling and racial favoritism. Minority kids with GPAs of 3.5 (B+) and minimal extracurricular activities are getting acceptance letters while white kids with GPAs of 4.0 to 4.7 (A+ to A+++) and who are presidents/captains of clubs/teams are getting "wait listed" at the very same schools.

Ahhh my child, welcome to the culture of "fairness."

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,440 Times in 1,966 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post

Melen attends a school that is about 49% white, 51% various minorities. Among her best friends are bi-racial, black and hispanic kids. Her best friend is a hispanic-asian. Her prom date this year is a nice black boy on the fencing team. She (and we) have been very open to all races, religions, etc in her circle of friends.

But today things seemed to boil over on several fronts. Several minority students were "accepted" to places like Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc and they have grade point averages that are well below Melen's and several of her friends. In some cases the minority students have GPAs that are a full point below the top of the class kids.

Melen and several of her friends at the 'top of the class' have GPAs in the 4.5 to 4.7 range (out of a possible 4). They achieve these averages by taking college classes in high school and getting A's in those classes. So now as pressure builds to get into the nation's elite schools she is seeing racial profiling and racial favoritism. Minority kids with GPAs of 3.5 (B+) and minimal extracurricular activities are getting acceptance letters while white kids with GPAs of 4.0 to 4.7 (A+ to A+++) and who are presidents/captains of clubs/teams are getting "wait listed" at the very same schools.

Being honest, forthright and fair is a virtue. But, being virtuos isn't a gaurrenttee of being treated with honest forthright fairness.

We live in a nation that not only tolerates those who butt up in line but actually seems to promote it. am reminded of the liberal daughter who's conservative father aske her to give up some of her high grades to a friend who, instead of dutiful study, partied in school and was failing. Affirmative actin has it's place but anymore, it is just another form of wealth redistribution.

Except now we are redistributing the acheivement of excellence.

We are not leveling the playing field anymore. We are leveling the acheivements of all to mediocre. Sadly Melen is a victim. But, I sense she will refuse to be a causualty.

Last edited by FrancSevin; 03-25-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
. . .

Except now we are redistributing the acheivement of excellence.

We are not leveling the playing field anymore. We are leveling the acheivments of all to mediocre. Sadly Melen is a victim. Bt I sense she will refuse to be a causualty.
The more she sees of the 'culture of fairness' the more conservative she becomes

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Supported Ben Carson

squerly will become famous soon enoughsquerly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back.
Yipes!

Quote:

This is so horribly wrong, the best man (or woman) should get the job. Affirmative action sucks, just no way to justify this kind of garbage.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
Yipes!
She is actually looking forward to it. As parents, Mrs Bob and I are pretty freaked out. Recover will take all summer. Physical therapy will be pretty intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
This is so horribly wrong, the best man (or woman) should get the job. Affirmative action sucks, just no way to justify this kind of garbage.
Yup. Not sure what else to say. Its a sad reality when the obvious achievers/performers are passed over in the name of "fairness" and "tolerance." I've never cared what race or sex an employee was, I always cared how the job was done and how much work was accomplished. In my career I had many blacks, hispanics, men and women in positions of importance, not because I tried to meet any quota but becasue they EXCELLED in their jobs. I've tried to be honest with Melen about life. Her mother and I have done our best to lead by example. But sometimes the ugly parts of life rear up and raise their demonic heads. So now we see many of Melen's top achieving friends being passed over by elite schools and ended up at 'state' schools. Melen has clearly been passed over by some of the elite schools to which she has applied, but because she applied to so many the odds were in her favor of getting into at least a couple elite schools. Many of her friends applied to a couple elite schools but could not afford to apply to a dozen of them, like Melen did, and consequently they will end up at a school that they should be able to walk through without any real effort. Its sad that kids who could be challenged, and who will rise to meet those challenges will now be stars at an average school, while students who were artificially raised to elite schools will probably perform at only average levels . . . like they did in a college prep high school.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

loboloco will become famous soon enough

Good luck on her surgery. Tell Melen that Wake is not that bad. Besides, she probably needs exposure to some southern charm.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
Good luck on her surgery. Tell Melen that Wake is not that bad. Besides, she probably needs exposure to some southern charm.
Wake Forest has a beautiful campus, all the stuff she needs/wants. But my wife is biased against it. My wife says that Wake Forest is where fun goes to die.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts
Kane will become famous soon enoughKane will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yes, welcome to the Progressive's race to mediocrity. And if Hussein get's his way, once she's out of school she can look forward to more "fairness" in the job market.

Hussein with his bigoted Secretary of Labor.

Everywhere we look we can find another one of Hussein's commie appointees, fighting for affirmative action and so-called civil rights.

Like Hussein said about the Constitution: "It is inherently flawed, and I intend to 'fix' it with a series of legislative reparations and wealth redistribution."

Someday, under the Progressive's rule, we will all become medioc ... oops, 'equal'.

Last edited by Kane; 03-26-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Yes, welcome to the Progressive's race to mediocrity.
Truth there!

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
nullius in verba

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,429 Posts
Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Yes, welcome to the Progressive's race to mediocrity. And if Hussein get's his way, once she's out of school she can look forward to more "fairness" in the job market.

It's actually worse out in the so-called "real world" these days. But I have a gut feeling she's going to make it anyway!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Well chalk up a minor victory for Wake Forest University.

They have a fencing club. That may cause Melen to lean toward picking Wake Forest as her school of choice. She seems to have Fordham as one of her perennial favorites, but it doesn't seem to really have an active fencing club. I don't think she really wants to compete too much in fencing anymore, she's been doing it for 5+ years, but I think she actually likes the social aspects of fencing teams/clubs so that may be swaying some of her opinion.

Oh, and we found out she was denied by WILLIAM & MARY yesterday. That was a shock to me. Her grades and test scores are well above their acceptance averages and standards. But then again, Wm & Mary is a state school that is required to accept 2/3rds of its students from Virginia so out of state students are at a serious disadvantage.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well we shall see what happens.

We are sort of taking all this one step at a time and hoping she gets to college in the fall.

She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back. At which point the surgeons tell us that she should be recovered enough to attend school in the fall. It may put halt on her fencing career. Fencing season for college is wintertime, even if she makes it to school she may not be released for sports.

We've got our fingers crossed that all will go well and that she will attend school in the fall (75% probability) but there may be a deferred admittance to have her start up a semester late ... depending on the recovery from surgery.
Bob, I truly wish your daughter the very best. I can't say "been there, done that", but my daughter's brain tumor issues showed their first symptoms the 2nd day of college for her. She had to miss her entire first year of college with the two brain surgeries she's had. Even though she is still not "fixed", Mel (what my daughter, Melanie, goes by) has already made up that lost year with extremely heavy class loads and not coming home during the summers and has kept up her 4.0 GPA all the while having to go to the IU Med Center on average about once a week due to severe migraines. We feel blessed that she has great roommates who have 'adopted' her as their sister.

From what I've read, our daughters seem to share the same motivation and drive for success. Even though I just don't make bets, I'd be willing to bet that your daughter will attend a very good undergrad school and be very successful and then, more importantly, have her choice of post-grad schools to continue her education. Here's to all the best for her
Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Brent, thanks for the good wishes.

Melen has been accepted to several schools now and each is a well ranked school. She'll probably do well wherever she goes, its just about the time for her to start to make final choices.

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,342 Times in 682 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
its just about the time for her to start to make final choices.
Can my daughter have her left-overs?