• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windshield Pricing

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Toyota Solara with a cracked front windshield.
I priced Toyota and they wanted $1139.66 :eek:
Guess windshields went up since I last bought one.

...but then I called another local auto glass company.
They priced me out at $235.00. They said it would be identical but would not have the toyota logo in the bottom left corner of the windshield.
Such a price difference. Makes me wonder if they could possibly be the same?
Has anyone else ran into such a huge price discrepancy for auto glass?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well not quite that large, but still I have seen some wild swings in windshield prices. We just replaced one last week. The prices varied by about $400 from the high bid to the low bid.

HGM

I'm not familliar with the Toyotas in particular, but a few years back the Continental had a heated windsheild option.. You would notice by the color of the glass, the heated one was a gold color rather than just clear.. That option made about a $1000 difference if I remember corectly... So, it is possible that they arent identical, but would still work..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No insurance on the Solara?
Glass coverage is normally included and they cover most if not all of it.

Quick/funny related anecdode. My grandmother had a broken headlight. She got it repaired and sent the bill to the ins. co. under the glass coverage. They called and said that it doesn't cover headlights. She asked what the headlight was made of to which they replied "glass". She then replied "well, there you have it". They actually paid...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for grandma! :thumb: :D

Sure I have insurance on it ....but I hit a deer last fall and I hate to have another claim. If the windshields are the same I could buy the one for 235 for less than the cost of my deductable. I'm guessing there must be some difference that is not obvious to me. I'll have the mobile replacement guy stop by tomorrow and have a look at the broken one.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Just for kicks, call the glass company and ask what the "over the counter" price for the windshield is direct to the customer (usually installed). Then call back later and ask what they will charge your insurance company for the same windshield.

Wonder why insurance rates are so high?

(This same practice follows at the doctor's office if you offer to pay cash for their services verses what they charge your insurance.)

There oughta' be a law! :pat:

Kwiens

Doc,

Had about the same price spread on my Toyota Avalon windshield. A rock from a sand truck caused a small pit that almost instantly led to a short crack that got longer within a few days.

I went with the PPG unit for $250; I figure I can buy several for that price and still be ahead of the pricy Toyota unit. The installer recommended the PPG one over Toyota's; same comment about the Toyota logo. I didn't call for the over the counter price and I also get an additional 20% dealer discount. I haven't had any issues, just make sure the installer knows what he/she is doing!

Kevin

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Sure I have insurance on it ....but I hit a deer last fall and I hate to have another claim. If the windshields are the same I could buy the one for 235 for less than the cost of my deductable.
I would recommend you call your ins. co or agent.

#1 - Glass/windshields DO NOT count as a claim.
#2 - Glass deductible is not at the same amount as your collision. It's normally either $0 or $100.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. The mobile installer said Toyota and other dealers have him put in their replacement windshields. :eek: That could explain a big part of the price difference. They pay the installer but then mark it up so they still make their normal profit on it. .....or maybe they just do not really want to sell them. :confused:

Good info BC. :thumb: