• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

89 Tucker repairs

waterman

Thought you might like to see my projest, It's a 1441 3 door, I purchased this Tucker thinking it was in good shape, Boy was I suprised, When it arived I had a hard time keeping it running, found out it had a damaged cylinder, so I had to rebuild the engine, along with new waterpump, hoses and belts. Then I foung the trunions were loose on the rear axle, so I ordered the parts from tucker to find out they were wrong (too small) Justin and Joe at Tucker made it right and updated the trunions (can't say enought good about Justin and Joe) I also had bad wheels in the rear (race damage) So I replaced 9 wheels and had them recovered, along with the 8 sprockets. after I got it running and all the fluids toped off the transfer case dumped oil out of the top seal, turns out the bolt holding the yoke was missing, Well I guess it's is good that we don't have any snow as it gives me time to work on it

Attachments

• Tucker 1-10-2011 001.jpg
    Tucker 1-10-2011 001.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Tucker 1-10-2011 002.jpg
    Tucker 1-10-2011 002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,602
  • Tucker wheel 002.jpg
    Tucker wheel 002.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • transfer 008.jpg
    transfer 008.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,611

Mtn-Track

Well, on the bright side you now know what you've got AND before it left you stranded on a mountain somewhere.

Hopefully you didn't get into it too deep on the original purchase. You've got some expensive parts being replaced there...:unsure:

RVR RNR

I see you replaced the journal brgs. on the axles. We took our axles to a macnine shop and had them turn down the old ones till they were clean, then they bored out the holes in the carriers and pressed in brass brg. inserts. This was cheaper than buying new journals from TUCKER and they shouldn't wear out as fast. 550hrs. and no wear so far! We also had them make all new wheel axles instead of using TUCKER ones; made them .005 larger so they fit snug in the carriers, then installed them w/NEVA-SEIZE so they will come out if needed. Alot of work but, well worth it!

waterman

Well my Journals were completly loose on the axles so I had to replace them. On the front journals they were worn and tucker had a materal to wrape them, worked great. I just finished replacing the transfer case seals and input yoke due to oil flowing out of the input shaft. I also had to build a catch can for the front dif. oil, seams to expand in 60 degree temps and go all over the axle. Hope I am finished for a while.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
You've been thru the wringer with this !

Sure hope you are almost done.
:clap: for keeping at it :thumb:

ScottMX68

Wow that is alot of pricy parts. I just went through mine and looked at replacing alot of those parts so I know how much they are. Looks beutiful. GREAT JOB.
Also on the journals did you say tucker had a material to fix them? Mine are worn and would like to find a fix someday.
Thank you

waterman

Scott, It was great talking to you !
Well I have replaced the 120 gallon gas tank with a 45 gallon tank and installed covers on the front frame. as soon as the temp warms up I will install the vinyl foam in the interor, I need to replace some grousers, but would like to get the Hans Hall Fishbone grousers (only the price stops me).

Attachments

• tucker 4-1-12 001.jpg
    tucker 4-1-12 001.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • tucker 4-1-12 003.jpg
    tucker 4-1-12 003.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,363
  • tucker 4-1-12 002.jpg
    tucker 4-1-12 002.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,350

waterman

Well I'm going to paint the outside, had two different colors of paint, still removing the first coat.

Attachments

• 5-19-12 001.jpg
    5-19-12 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 5-19-12 002.jpg
    5-19-12 002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 5-19-12 003.jpg
    5-19-12 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,221

waterman

Well after sanding for 4 days I have it primed, We have rain so the painting will go on hold for a while.

Attachments

• Tucker paint 001.jpg
    Tucker paint 001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Tucker paint 003.jpg
    Tucker paint 003.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,151

ScottMX68

Man that thing is going to be sweet. Are you going back with the same blue? It is going to be one clean rig when your done.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
what's the thing with baby blue tuckers was that a contrct requested color or just an option i have seen severak come through the port here on their way to the north slope

waterman

The Blue will be close to the origonal. I don't know why there are Blue Tuckers, Mine was original painted with ppg paint, Hawaiian Blue, a chrysler or chevy color. Also Thanks to Tucker I have the original decals to go on when finished.

nikos

What I had concluded about the colors, (especially in the case the paint of snow cats), is that we see - treated by a mood of owners, who wants to give in the Snow cats a different color impression from the traditional which has prevailed until today. (The impression has prevailed so far is that the snow cats are in red color).

The new color preferences indicate, sometimes the diversity, or recognition that may have a snow cat, compared with a similar Snow cat.

Sometimes, however, indicate the mood of the owner to escape from the standards and to display elements of his personality through color (yellow, green, light green, blue, light blue, orange, red, camouflage, etc.).
The color is a recognizable element of our personality.

89 Tucker repairs - It will become very nice.:smile:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My color was changed to green because it was parked next to DOT vehicles on their land. With the stock red color they got complaints.

aksnocat

I'd suggest that your Tucker is a model 1443, not a 1441.

It breaks down this way:

It's a 1400 series. That gives you the initial "14".

It's got 4 tracks. That's the third digit.

It's got 3 doors. That's the 4th digit.

A model 1441 would have only one door.

waterman

Well I don't type well and I missed the key, I realised my mistake, but didn't know how to correct it. It is a 1442C

waterman

I finaly had some good weather and painted the tucker, I still have to install new door rubber, and after the paint cures I will put on the decals. also installed a stainless dash.

Attachments

• tucket 6-23-12 009.jpg
    tucket 6-23-12 009.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 977
  • tucket 6-23-12 014.jpg
    tucket 6-23-12 014.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 960
  • tucket 6-23-12 013.jpg
    tucket 6-23-12 013.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 962
  • tucket 6-23-12 012.jpg
    tucket 6-23-12 012.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 976
  • tucket 6-23-12 011.jpg
    tucket 6-23-12 011.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 981

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
That is one great looking tucker ! Your time and money well spent. They are such great machines,love to see then returned to like new.

ScottMX68

Brett it looks great! Give me a call some time on what kind of grouser you are looking for. Do you have the color code? My 1344 is the same color or real similar and have thought about repaint some day.Looks awesome, now its time to put that thing on the white stuff

waterman

Well I am repairing my tracks, The grousers needed to be repaired and bolts replaced. Found I have 5 grousers that can't be repaired and found 4 belts that were torn at the inside bolts. Wating for new bolts to arive. Then I need to get grousers and belts, and some backings..

Attachments

• Track Repair 001.jpg
    Track Repair 001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 790
  • Track Repair 002.jpg
    Track Repair 002.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 781

waterman

I have repaired the grousers, Replaced the 4 belts, but I need 50 tube backings, Anyone have any ?

Attachments

• Tucker track new 001.jpg
    Tucker track new 001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 759
  • Tucker track new 002.jpg
    Tucker track new 002.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 748

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you wind up making the Tubes for the backing plates?

I just picked up a 89 2door. 2000 series there are multiple splices in the belting I am wondering if the tubes cut the belting?

On a scale of 1-10 how was the bearing job on the axles?
My backs seem OK
The fronts are definatly off center. are those bearings or bushings.

thanks for posting up your build It helped me dive in so to say.

Mike

waterman

I did not make the backings, Scottmx68 had some, I have not had any cut the belting. I think the new style is better but price is too much for me.
as far as the axle trunions, They are bushings, the hardest part was removing the axle, The new trunions have a nylon sleve that is replaceable, no steel to steel. as far as installing the new trunions, Tucker had all the measurements, just cleaning old metal from axle tubes and some welding. I think it was a great improvement.

Pm me with your phone # and we can talk.

Brent

waterman

Well I made my first trip in the Tucker. Went abour 7 miles in good packed snow, kept smelling gear oil, stopped and found that the transfer case was puking oil out the vent, case was so hot I could not touch it, let it cool down and headed back down hill, did not puke any oil or get hot going down hill.
So I will pull the transfer case and see what is going on.

Attachments

• 12-31-12 010.jpg
    12-31-12 010.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 567
  • 12-31-12 015.jpg
    12-31-12 015.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 571