• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stainless Steel Grilles.....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Treated myself to a new stainless steel grill, and after one use, the insides look worse than my 10 year old cast aluminum grill that it replaced. How do you keep these grilles looking nice. I took the burner covers off along with the grates, and neither came clean after soaking and attempting to clean them with normal household cleaners. The grime came off, but they were terribly discolored from the heat, and stained also. What do you do to keep your grille looking nice. :confused:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't keep it looking nice. Just heat the crud up before the next use and consider it extra flavoring! ;)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
What do you do to keep your grille looking nice. :confused:

I send the lovely Mrs_B to the store to get some EasyOff oven cleaner. Then while I sit in a lounge chair drinking a cold brew, I supervise her while she cleans it. After my nap I inspect the job she did and point out any problem spots that need to be cleaned.:beer:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
B_Skurka said:
I send the lovely Mrs_B to the store to get some EasyOff oven cleaner. Then while I sit in a lounge chair drinking a cold brew, I supervise her while she cleans it. After my nap I inspect the job she did and point out any problem spots that need to be cleaned.:beer:
Great minds think alike !! That's the same method I use, with one exception; She cooks the food also ! I always say: Clean up your own mess ! (right ?) :beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You are one lucky man............ Today, it is very difficult to find domestic help that does what they are told by their masters. :yum: :yum: Do you require that she wear a French Maids Outfit???:weneedpic

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

Something tells me you are lying like a dog here Bob. Either that or she used the cleaner on you and you are still high as a kite.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
Great minds think alike !! That's the same method I use, with one exception; She cooks the food also ! I always say: Clean up your own mess ! (right ?) :beer:

You guys getting a home together? Something tells me your wives wont be reading this for a long time.............or you best hope not!

DAP

Junkman said:
Treated myself to a new stainless steel grill, and after one use, the insides look worse than my 10 year old cast aluminum grill that it replaced. How do you keep these grilles looking nice. I took the burner covers off along with the grates, and neither came clean after soaking and attempting to clean them with normal household cleaners. The grime came off, but they were terribly discolored from the heat, and stained also. What do you do to keep your grille looking nice. :confused:

I find having dinner at someone else's place usually does the trick.

:weneedpic

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
This has worked for me for years. Put the dirty grill in a garbage bag put in half a cup ot amonia tie up the bag and go back in 24 hrs. Your grill is clean

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I don't keep it looking nice. Just heat the crud up before the next use and consider it extra flavoring! ;)

In all seriousness, I really don't see the need to clean the inside of the grill. My grill is a Phoenix brand. The inside top of the grill is constantly coated with a black layer of smoke/suet? The grill itself gets scraped or wire brushed. And about once a year it gets soaked with Easy Off or some other commercial oven cleaner. My grill does not have briquettes, it has a diffuser plate and that collects drippings which turn to ash, that diffuser plate has to be scraped from time to time, probably every 10-th or maybe 20-th time we use the grill. But I guess I generally agree with PB. Heat it up and burn it off.

daedong

B_Skurka said:
In all seriousness, I really don't see the need to clean the inside of the grill. My grill is a Phoenix brand. The inside top of the grill is constantly coated with a black layer of smoke/suet? The grill itself gets scraped or wire brushed. And about once a year it gets soaked with Easy Off or some other commercial oven cleaner. My grill does not have briquettes, it has a diffuser plate and that collects drippings which turn to ash, that diffuser plate has to be scraped from time to time, probably every 10-th or maybe 20-th time we use the grill. But I guess I generally agree with PB. Heat it up and burn it off.
[FONT=&quot]Bob, I agree, I do exactly the same, what I don’t understand is why have stainless steel if it does not stay clean with little care? Folks buy stainless steel with the understanding or expectation that it is easy to clean. It is misleading if it doesn’t.[/FONT]

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, I never considered it an "easy to clean" grill. I considered it a "rustproof" grill. That was my sole reason for choosing the upgrade to Stainless Steel when I bought mine because the Phoenix grill I have is available in either a painted finish or in all Stainless Steel. Not having to worry about covering it up was the big factor for me. Our grill is permanently mounted to a post and tied into the household gas line, we use are grill year round so it is never covered or protected from the weather.

The only other option I would consider is a cast aluminum grill, but most of those use mild steel burners and other steel interior parts. I had just had one of those rust out after only 2 winter and the replacement parts to fix the insides of that grill were so damn expensive that I figured it was not worth the effort or the cost every 2 years. The grill I got rid of was a Ducane. Supposedly a good brand, but I couldn't recommend it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Bob,

I'm planning on hooking my grill into the house propane line. Can you post a picture(s) of the connection between the main pipe and the grill? I'm thinking that the regulator part is not needed because there is already one on the main tanks.

No rush but it would be a great help.

Thanks,

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Hey Bob,

I'm planning on hooking my grill into the house propane line. Can you post a picture(s) of the connection between the main pipe and the grill?
No. The main connection is underground! I have a black iron pipe underground that goes to the base of the grill. It connects to a flex line about 24" below the surface at the base of the grill pedistal and runs up behind the grill. There is another connection at the grill itself where the flex line terminates. There is no pressure regulator underground.

You can see the grill in the back of this photo. It is probably the only photo of it that I have. The gas line runs up the rear of the pedistal.

If you want a photo of the connection I can take one tonight and post it.

I can check to see if there is a small regulator back there. Maybe there is and I just don't recall? We've been using this particular grill for probably 7 years?

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 98

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
PBinWA said:
Hey Bob,

I'm planning on hooking my grill into the house propane line. Can you post a picture(s) of the connection between the main pipe and the grill? I'm thinking that the regulator part is not needed because there is already one on the main tanks.

Thanks,

PB
PB..........Another picture from Bob's place...........Here's the connection..........There does appear to be a small regulator at the male end. (I think that's probably a GOOD thing !!):fart2:

Attachments

• Gas connection.JPG
    Gas connection.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 94

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I looked into a connection for my gas grille and the propane company has a device that you can quick connect the grille into. I believe that the regulator is still necessary. I have both high and low pressure regulators on my propane lines. I know that the inside stove is fed by a low pressure regulator and there is also another regulator just under the top cover where the gas connection is located. Where is OkeeDon when we need him?????

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Tom! That one's going to save me money!

Bob - if you can see if there's an additional regulator that would be great but I'm just curious. I can always call my propane guy and he'll tell me what I need to do (anything to help me burn more propane).

Thanks again,

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Hey Bob,

Thanks,

PB

OK I just checked. There is no reason for a photo because there is no gas regulator there.

The flex line terminates at a standard gas cut-off valve and then connects to the gas line that comes out of the grill. So I can turn the gas off at the grill with the gas cut-off valve, but there is no pressure regulation.

By the way, there is another gas cut-off valve in the house to turn off the gas to the black iron pipe that runs out to the grill.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
OK I just checked. There is no reason for a photo because there is no gas regulator there.

The flex line terminates at a standard gas cut-off valve and then connects to the gas line that comes out of the grill. So I can turn the gas off at the grill with the gas cut-off valve, but there is no pressure regulation.

By the way, there is another gas cut-off valve in the house to turn off the gas to the black iron pipe that runs out to the grill.

Same here !
Allen

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Woo Hoo! Thanks Bob! You're the man! BigAl your hot stuff too!

If this was in person I might even give you guys a big wet kiss!

;)