• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SPRYTE 1200 IGNITION

LEAD DOG

I just replaced the starter on a Ford 300 in my Spryte, and now the engine
starts but as soon as put the key back to the on position it dies. I checked
the input side of the coil with a test lamp and it bright when cranking but
gets dim when in the on position. It ran ok before also did any sprytes
come with 6 volt systems? and where could I get a copy of an owners manual?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
first question do you have points sounds like you have a bad primary ignition resistor

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As don said the start function bypasses the resistor for hotter spark in run it is in series with coil.
tom

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to this forum, Lead Dog !

It might be the ignition switch ? That's what I'd look at first.

Could you do me a favor and tell me your carburetor number ?? Pretty please :flowers:

LEAD DOG

first question do you have points sounds like you have a bad primary ignition resistor
yes it has points, I replaced them 2 weeks ago and it ran ok.After replacing the starter
when I first cranked it over it arced from the starter lead to the muffler due to some debris. What and where is the primary ignition resitor. thanks

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it should be a white ceramic part usualy mounted on the firewall for cooling or on the engine for your sprite but i would guess it to be mounted in proximmity to your starter solinoid some vehicles also use a resister wire most older fords have a resistor it should have 1 wire in and i wire out

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As Don said look for a white block about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. If you follow the wire from the coil it is usually in that circuit on Fords. They are known for going bad sitting still in Fords.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
better watch it you might offend rusty with ford banter and the old dodge electronic ignition was also pleuged with resister problems and for ease of service i just mounted 2 next to each other so i could unplug and plug the new one in and go again till i got home to fix it right the resisters must be bolted down to a good heat sink if you expect them to live so check and see if re mounting would a good idea for longevity

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
And the mopar Voltage regulators as well. I always carried a spare in my Challenger.

LEAD DOG

thank you both, I think my sc was built around 1975, and I believe now that I've
got a resistor wire not ceramic. my parts man thinks it is a bad starter solinoid,he
says thats where the normal electricity goes thru on way to points.I've gotten a
lot of different suggestions my understanding is that the points are designed to run
on 10 volts, which is provided by the resistor wire and only during cranking is 12 volts
delivered to the points, anyway I'll replace the solinoid and resisto wirw both.I've had
my sc about 6 yrs and am very happy with it, it has wide tracks and will out climb
most all cats. My only complaint is I wish i could go faster downhill or under no load,
any suggestions. I'm also new to forums and having a little problem navigating if it is
easier you can email me at STIGALLHOMES@hotmail.com or again thanks to all of you

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the points trigger the coil and there is also a condensor in there you should have replaced to get max life out of the points i would suggest you upgrade to a ford duraspark ignition to save you lots of future work duraspark was one of the most reliable ignition systems ever used.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
I just replaced the starter on a Ford 300 in my Spryte, and now the engine
starts but as soon as put the key back to the on position it dies. I checked
the input side of the coil with a test lamp and it bright when cranking but
gets dim when in the on position. It ran ok before also did any sprytes
come with 6 volt systems? and where could I get a copy of an owners manual?

I am getting a copy right now will let you know what its costing me if your still looking for one

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Random thought.....

Check the wiring on the starter. (Solenoid)

If you inadvertantly put the ignition wire on the wrong post (at the solenoid) it could act this way as well.
Remember (-) post of the coil only sees the pulsed voltage of the points opening and closing.
The + side sees full power all the time (be it 6, 10,12v - with regards to resistors) some ford type solenoids have two small post' and two large post. One of the small post may be flipped,
below is not for every one....
easy test is to put a full voltage jumper directly to the coil + roll it over and start it (don't dilly dally around while that jumper is on there.) once it is running meter the solenoid small post and see which is Hot.....

$.02

Mike

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
my cost to copy a manual not including shipping or handling $80.00 in a three ring binder