• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cool Video of a custom 80-foot Tipping Tower in action!

DoctorZ

Check out this video of a Ham Radio Antenna Tip-Tower:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-7VgZNypk"]Custom Built 80-Foot Tall Free Standing Ham Radio Tip-Tower in Action! This is COOL! - YouTube[/ame]

73's.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to FF DoctorZ. I'm KD8PFB. Is this YOUR tilt mast or someone else's? I don't have enough room on my lot for a mast that high, so I just have a 30' tower that hinges from the base.

Attachments

• Tower Dec 2011.jpg
    Tower Dec 2011.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 208

DoctorZ

Yea, it's mine, but after becoming a member of this site, I noticed it was exclusively Ham Radio, so I was more careful about what information I posted. I've got 5-acres of land here, so I got "room to play." :)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well that was a well thaught out system most people who do tip over towers have them tip at the base which makes for a lot of ladder work, with the big radials from hf antennas. welcome to the site. what kind of antenna is that one I've been looking for an hf antenna to hook my ts 140 up to. as it's at work right now I have to keep it close to the roof of my 30 foot shop a vertical makes good sense here some day I will get my 60 foot rohn up in my back yard but that one has to be able to stand up to 100 mph winds we get out here in western Alaska

DoctorZ

well that was a well thaught out system most people who do tip over towers have them tip at the base which makes for a lot of ladder work, with the big radials from hf antennas. welcome to the site. what kind of antenna is that one I've been looking for an hf antenna to hook my ts 140 up to. as it's at work right now I have to keep it close to the roof of my 30 foot shop a vertical makes good sense here some day I will get my 60 foot rohn up in my back yard but that one has to be able to stand up to 100 mph winds we get out here in western Alaska

The antenna on my tower is a Sirio 827. It should stand up to your 100 MPH winds if you reinforce it with radiator clips at the joints, but I only use it for 10-Meters and formerly on 11-Meters CB. The tower would also be excellent for a Repeater or anything in the higher VHF and UHF bands. The best thing you can do for HF is a dipole. Then you only have to go up about 35 feet at the apex, and you'll make a ton more contacts. Of course you need to have a little bit of space. An 80M dipole will need about 120 feet of space unless you go with a Delta Loop or something similar, but they're a little harder to put up.

Check out these web sites:

http://dk5ec.de/deltaloop-eng.htm

http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti...IRIO+827&idc=1008171241&idg=1008171169&idp=61

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
right now I'm only worried about 40 to 10 the reality is this far north there won't be any dx until the sun starts setting again.I just kind of only want to listen in. I normally use IRLP as its been a stable reliable platform to use. i'm kind of thinking about a repeater on a hill top to expand coverage right now at 40 feet I get about a 30 mile radius.

DoctorZ

right now I'm only worried about 40 to 10 the reality is this far north there won't be any dx until the sun starts setting again.I just kind of only want to listen in. I normally use IRLP as its been a stable reliable platform to use. i'm kind of thinking about a repeater on a hill top to expand coverage right now at 40 feet I get about a 30 mile radius.

After reading your response, I had to look you up on QRZ. You need to upgrade to your General. There is ALWAYS DX, 24/7. You just need to switch Bands. Daytime DX is usually found on the 40, 20, 17, 15 and 10-Meter Bands. Nighttime is 40 and below for DX. 80-Meters is still good for about 300 miles local communications. I also noticed those cool snow cats you drive around in. What you need is an Outbacker mobile HF Antenna on one of them!

http://www.outbackerantennas.com/index.html

73's.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you are right i'm trying to get ready for the test out here the bands are pretty dead except for the use of winlink it seems to work pretty good yes you are right about some of the longer wave bands working well for longer distance communications but even my 2 buddy's who are extras are having challenges during the summer checking into nets, we seem to be in some kind of dx dead zone out here on the Seward peninsula. I have always wanted to take the snow trac to the top of one of these hills and set up a nvis antenna system and try some dx out of it.