• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GMC all mountain snow truck

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Small foot print on hard snow. Trucks are not light weight either. All rubber tracks with no steel grousers, worthless on ice.

In deep and steep, or icy conditions, worthless is my bet for the $42K... :unsure:

I be pissed if I were stuck on a mountain side with this rig. $80K total for.... worthless?

Way to much of a compromise to be very effective.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Small foot print on hard snow. Trucks are not light weight either. All rubber tracks with no steel grousers, worthless on ice.

In deep and steep, or icy conditions, worthless is my bet for the $42K... :unsure:

I be pissed if I were stuck on a mountain side with this rig. $80K total for.... worthless?

Regards, Kirk

and for $42K, you could own one of the nicest Snow Tracs in the world or 2 or 3 good Snow Tracs

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

Agree...Totally. Except I'd bet that fancy new truck was a lot more than $42K. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $100K to duplicate that setup.

From watching part of the video I believe it was filmed at the Canyons Ski Resort. The ski season is over and driving on trails that have been packed and groomed all season long you don't need much flotation. And this year we've had a terrible snow year, so there's a lot less base. (I live about ten miles from the resort. Less than two as the crow flies.)

As far as I'm concerned it's a PR stunt that's very misleading as to actual capabilities.

I realize there are some on this forum who are enthused by tracked 4x4s, and this isn't meant as an insult, but in my opinion these vehicles are a far cry from having real off road, deep snow performance as provided by a snowcat.

A few years ago I bought a used Polaris Ranger with DuraTracks, probably the most expensive track system for the Ranger. My snowcat buddy, Scott and I took it to one of the places we do our Tucker testing. Totally underwhelming. If you left a semi-packed trail it wasn't so much an "over-snow" vehicle, as a through-the-snow vehicle; meaning it kind of chewed it's way along. It was so disappointing I literally never used it again in snow, and sold the machine. But I'm sure it would have done just fine in the conditions the GMC truck faced.

I'm a skeptic: I have a very hard time believing the different Mattracks style systems work any better.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw this very truck at the top of Park City Mountain mid March. Very cool but they only drove it on the packed trails. Looking at the setup I think if you got into the powder you would want to walk down and get you snowcat of choice off the trailer to get it out. Track footprint was not nearly big enough. If you stay on trail probably a fun but what fun is that?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
A guy i know up in northern manitoba has been using tracks on his chevy pickup for a bit,altho he did have to modify them a bit. Joey Barnes better known as the "KING OF OBSOLETE" some of you might have seen him on "ICE ROAD TRUCKERS" ha also has a B18 bombardier ,and a Linn logger which is a early snowmobile. Heres the link to his site ,and his KoO tracks.

http://kingofobsolete.ca/KoO-Tracks_WEBPAGE.html

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
and for $42K, you could own one of the nicest Snow Tracs in the world or 2 or 3 good Snow Tracs

Since I already own a nice Snow Trac, I would probably go and find a Nodwell, or maybe a Tucker if the right one came along.

Never had anything with Matt Tracks ever try and go were I can with a Snow Trac. I knew there had to be a reason. :thumbup:

Regards, Kirk

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the link loggah. I have followed KoO for some time and you got to love his real world approach to all things mechanical. I was approached thirty plus years ago by folks making these kind of tracks, looked last them and decided that even if the tracks worked, front axles on a 4X4 will not live with the added stress. Being broke down way the heck out there is not my idea of a "Good time".

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya, Hes a get it dont type of guy, most all the old sleds he has use lombard sled irons.The Linn people even used lombard sleds. take care. Don

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
personal experience with chevy trucks and pod tracks is that the tierods aren't heave enough some where I posted where I was 30 miles out of town fixing one.

willd

I think these are targeted toward the same people who would love that "Bro" truck to start with. You know, the ones who have 6 figure jobs and have to prove their superiority with their payment plans..

We go snow wheeling with some pretty good rigs and I have never seen a set of tracks up here yet.