• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yahoo reads your emails

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, they're not actually sitting there personally reading each and every one, but they have a program that scans the documents for key words and then uses that info to target you with advertising.

But you probably already know that, right? And it's not just Yahoo, the rest of the "free" email services do it as well. If you read their policy they make it sound like they're doing us the favor by making sure the advertising that they send is useful to us. Of course this is all BS and I doubt any of us knows anyone, anywhere in the world that has agreed that this is helpful to them in any way, shape or form.

And to make matters worse, if someone sends an email to you from their own secure server, Yahoo reads that email as well. They don't have that persons permission but they can do this because their privacy policy (that you clicked on and agreed to) says that you will notify the other party that this is happening so by default, that person is giving Yahoo permission to read their emails as well.

So here's what I'd like to see everyone do. Create a useless email address at gmail.com, call it something like useless@gmail.com. Then create another useless email address at Yahoo.com, call it useless@yahoo.com. Then take all the SPAM that arrives in your real email and send it to both of your useless email addresses. If your email is anything like mine it won't take long before there are thousands of junk SPAM emails in both useless email addresses.

Then on a daily basis, go to one of the useless email addresses, select all of the messages and forward them to the other useless email address. And then go to the other useless email address and send them all back to the other. Back and forth, back and forth, etc, etc, repeat... :brows:

If everyone did this on a daily basis, well you get the idea. These guy's like to read emails, I suggest we give them some to read...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, they're not actually sitting there personally reading each and every one, but they have a program that scans the documents for key words and then uses that info to target you with advertising.

But you probably already know that, right? And it's not just Yahoo, the rest of the "free" email services do it as well. If you read their policy they make it sound like they're doing us the favor by making sure the advertising that they send is useful to us. Of course this is all BS and I doubt any of us knows anyone, anywhere in the world that has agreed that this is helpful to them in any way, shape or form.

And to make matters worse, if someone sends an email to you from their own secure server, Yahoo reads that email as well. They don't have that persons permission but they can do this because their privacy policy (that you clicked on and agreed to) says that you will notify the other party that this is happening so by default, that person is giving Yahoo permission to read their emails as well.

So here's what I'd like to see everyone do. Create a useless email address at gmail.com, call it something like useless@gmail.com. Then create another useless email address at Yahoo.com, call it useless@yahoo.com. Then take all the SPAM that arrives in your real email and send it to both of your useless email addresses. If your email is anything like mine it won't take long before there are thousands of junk SPAM emails in both useless email addresses.

Then on a daily basis, go to one of the useless email addresses, select all of the messages and forward them to the other useless email address. And then go to the other useless email address and send them all back to the other. Back and forth, back and forth, etc, etc, repeat... :brows:

If everyone did this on a daily basis, well you get the idea. These guy's like to read emails, I suggest we give them some to read...

I still have yahoo mail, but rarely use it.
I do check in maybe once a week and it's nothing but Spam and crap from sources that I feel they are reading something I do or view online?
Seems like a lot of work for me, squerly.
Maybe I'll just ditch it once and for all.

I use Hushmail now as my main email.
I never get spam, just direct replies from friends, although for a while I felt like someone tried to hack it, even though it's supposed to be secure.
There is a drop down in Hushmail that shows recent activity on my account, with any IP who would happen to log in other than mine.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
No surprise here. Gmail does the same thing.

One article of many.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/15/gmail-ads_n_5149032.html

Well, maybe two.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2340003/google-admits-its-reading-your-
emails-because-advertising

Really, they all do. It helps to better serve you adds, which, of course, is all the Internet is really about. (Sarcasm mine).

Try looking at something on Amazon then go to facebook and see if you don't get adds for what you just looked at.

Amazon will probably email you telling you that you looked at something and should buy it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All true. NOTHING is for free. Ya know that 'FREE Storage' offer, much the same there I suspect, but I have not read the privacy notices so I can't be positive. I do not take advantage of any 'cloud' for that exact reason. I have storage devices and know how to back up my stuff on my own.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed Doc. I do use an online backup, but the data is scrambled around a private key before it leaves my PC. Oh Wait! I pay for that. Maybe that's the difference.

And Yup!!!!! Nothing is free.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I actually do this, I have a yahoo account and I flood it with junk mail. I use it when I have to sign up for something, and then once a week I go there and delete all the crap. It's worked pretty goo as I don't get the junk mail in my one private e-mail account.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually do this, I have a yahoo account and I flood it with junk mail. I use it when I have to sign up for something, and then once a week I go there and delete all the crap. It's worked pretty goo as I don't get the junk mail in my one private e-mail account.
I do the same and it works well. And as such, Yahoo is no serious privacy concern to me either.

But it's their blatant lack of concern for their clients and the in-your-face obnoxiousness of intruding on peoples exchange of information that just pisses me off. Generally you don't expect this type of intrusion unless it's coming from your government. Now it's common place with everything Internet.

I'd just like to give a little of it back to them somehow. I'm funny that way. :glare: