• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dec 17, 1862 ~ the day Gen. Ulysse S Grant EXPELLED all the Jews

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
General Ulysses S Grant expelled Jews from his military district. With the following letter and orders.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] I have long since believed that in spite of all the vigilance that can be infused into Post Commanders, that the Specie regulations of the Treasury Dept. have been violated, and that mostly by Jews and other unprincipled traders. So well satisfied of this have I been at this that I instructed the Commanding Officer at Columbus [Kentucky] to refuse all permits to Jews to come south, and frequently have had them expelled from the Dept. [of the Tennessee]. But they come in with their Carpet sacks in spite of all that can be done to prevent it. The Jews seem to be a privileged class that can travel any where. They will land at any wood yard or landing on the river and make their way through the country. If not permitted to buy Cotton themselves they will act as agents for someone else who will be at a Military post, with a Treasury permit to receive Cotton and pay for it in Treasury notes which the Jew will buy up at an agreed rate, paying gold.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] There is but one way that I know of to reach this case. That is for Government to buy all the Cotton at a fixed rate and send it to Cairo, St Louis, or some other point to be sold. Then all traders, they are a curse to the Army, might be expelled..[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]His orders.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] General Order Number 11, December 17, 1862[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 1. The Jews, as a class, violating every regulation of trade established by the Treasury Department, and also Department orders, are hereby expelled from the Department.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2. Within twenty-four hours from the receipt of this order by Post Commanders, they will see that all of this class of people are furnished with passes and required to leave, and anyone returning after such notification, will be arrested and held in confinement until an opportunity occurs of sending them out as prisoners, unless furnished with permits from these headquarters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 3. No permits will be given these people to visit headquarters for the purpose of making personal application for trade permits.[/FONT]
The order went into immediate effect; Army officers ordered Jewish traders and their families in Holly Springs, Oxford, Mississippi, and Paducah, Kentucky to leave the territory. Grant may not have intended such results; his headquarters expressed no objection to the continued presence of Jewish sutlers, as opposed to cotton traders. But, the wording of the order addressed all Jews, regardless of occupation, and it was implemented accordingly.​
There were about 150,000 Jews in the United States.

More at the source,and a fascinating bit of history I had never heard about.The Day General Grant Expelled the Jews by Gary North

The Day General Grant Expelled the Jews

Did anyone read about this in a history book?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope! but as late as the 1950's anti semitism was fairly common in the USA. So was a disdain for catholics by many protestants.

We tend to forget such fears, prejudices and hatred existe here because Jews and Catholics allowed the time worn wounds to heal. I truly wish we could say the same about other prejudices. But respect is a two way street.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Nope! but as late as the 1950's anti semitism was fairly common in the USA. So was a disdain for catholics by many protestants.

We tend to forget such fears, prejudices and hatred existe here because Jews and Catholics allowed the time worn wounds to heal. I truly wish we could say the same about other prejudices. But respect is a two way street.

I started watching a show on Showtime last week that is going to run only 6 weeks called Untold Facts of United States History on Monday nights at 8 I think (I record it). At any rate it is from WWII to current times and as a documentary with real video, news reports and updates on those still alive that lived it. Pretty interesting to say the least.