• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

African Grey Parrot

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody here have any experience with an African Grey Parrot? A local pet shop has a 13 week old one that seems to be pretty cool. I have some friends who have other parrots and they seem to like them. I just don't know anything about them. Thoughts?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I understand they live about as long as turtles. Other than that no clue. I've had a couple Cockatiels when we were in college, the small version of a Cockatoo. They were kind of dirty and I'm happy I don't have a bird now for that reason. Parrots might be cleaner?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMO...........great first choice for a parrot. Probably out live you so you'll be willing it to one of the kids. Very mild mannered with the highest vocabulary of any parrot. When obtained young it needs to be handled by as many family members as posssible without abuse. Parrots have a high bonding level and if only one or two people handle it it will isolate themselves to those only and be difficult to handle by strangers, you want to avoid that. NO SWEAR WORDS, they pick up vocabulary VERY easy! They're not the prettiest parrot but one of the funnest! Wish I had room for one but I took in a second blue and gold macaw as a favor to a friend so Mrs_BD says no more.............:rolleyes:

I highly recommend the african grey...............:thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have no experience with African Greys, but my family did have a Nanday Conure for about 15 years when I was a kid.

Never.

Ever.

Again.

Parrots have got to be the most annoying pets ever. Once they get started screeching, it is pretty much unbearable. I can still hear that bird's squaking echoing in my head.

Plus they are messy. The cage almost always has small feathers in it, and they are guaranteed to flap their wings and send feathers, gravel and seed everywhere.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I have no experience with African Greys, but my family did have a Nanday Conure for about 15 years when I was a kid.

Never.

Ever.

Again.

Parrots have got to be the most annoying pets ever. Once they get started screeching, it is pretty much unbearable. I can still hear that bird's squaking echoing in my head.

Plus they are messy. The cage almost always has small feathers in it, and they are guaranteed to flap their wings and send feathers, gravel and seed everywhere.

Avoid the above by purchasing a large cage, can't deny they're a little messy and the reason for the large cage............... Screeching is not a huge issue with the grey. Typically they do it in the evening at dusk and is known as "calling the flock". Adequate attention will keep this in check!

We have a inside perch that is in the loft that looks over the living room, they like the dominate heighth and appreciate the socializing. I clip our macaws wings and we perch them outside as much as weather allows, they LOVE IT!

dzalphakilo

Banned
DaveNay said:

Never.

Ever.

Again.

Try having a parrot on you as you lay on the couch watching T.V "oblivious" to what the bird is doing because your so used to him. Wearing jeans "commando" style, forget that you have your zipper down from taking a quick pee some time before. Having said bird sitting on you, he gets interested in whats "beneath" the zipper and decide to go and "investigate" with his beak. Luckily no pysical damage, but I'll never forget that yell and pain.

Crackers and Keegan. Keegan was the culprit, but miss them both.

BD gave some great advice, if you get the Grey, follow it (advice) to the "T" and you most likely won't have issues.

Forgot to mention, if you only keep him inside and don't clip his wings, DO NOT leave the cage the bird is in outside unattended if the bird is in the cage, even if its locked. Best buddy up in W.V went home to Ohio to visit family with his wife. He was broke at the time, wife spent some major money on a Cockatoo, they had it for a good year at the time. Well, put the bird in the "locked" cage out on the porch on the parents house in Ohio. Well, bird managed to unlock the cage and fly up a tree. After a couple of hours with the fire department up in the tree trying to get that bird, bird "flew away" never to be seen again. Buddy was seriously bummed about that bird cost him:pat:

Last edited:

Cityboy

Banned
BD is right about NO SWEAR WORDS! I know nothing about birds overall, but my oldest brother was a mega-plex theater manager once and had one of these talking birds in his office. Theater employees were constantly in and out of the office. The bird was constantly listening to what was said. At the worst times, like when my brother had a visitor, or maybe his boss in his office, this bird would cut loose with a string of expleteives that would make a sailor blush. :eek: I guess the bird picked up these words because the people who spoke them inflected strong emphasis on the cuss words. I was amazed at what the bird would repeat.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies so far. One of my concerns is what DaveNay said; the thing constantly screeching. A friend has a parrot, not an African Grey, and he can't even talk on the phone around the bird due to it's extremely loud screeching. Most everything I've read say that the African Grey is "mild" in that area.

If I do get it (if), I will buy it with the large cage it has been in all it's life. My concern also would be it wanting to take off the fingers of my kids. Right now it comes to you and bends it's head towards you wanting you to scratch the back of it's neck and rub it. The pet store owner said that some of them want affection and others couldn't care less. This one seems to love everyone to rub on it and is very mild mannered. But, will it stay that way??

They must grow fast, because I'm told that this bird is nearly fully grown. They have several 'play things' in it's cage that seem to keep it occupied when you don't pay attention to it. Right now I can't say if I'm leaning against getting it or towards getting it. I'm still trying to research it. Fortunately it does seem that the African Grey isn't as noisey as some of the more colorful parrots.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The more you handle it the less likely it will get into the biting mode. The grey is a much calmer bird. If your going to consider it now is the time!! A mature bird will be harder to mold. Like all parrots they need lots of attention because they are VERY intelligent and need to be mentally stimulated. Getting the bird to lay on it's back is one of the goals you strive for! This eases them out of the dominance mode an makes them more docile. I have macaws and they have a much harder bite ............. don't ask me how I know. Eventually someones going to piss it off or do something out of the norm and get it. I don't know a parrot owner who has never been bit.

What you might take as a attempt to bite is often misunderstood. The "UP" (hand perch) command should be natural. Parrots often "test" their perch first to see if it will support them requiring a firmer test and it is ALWAYS done with their beak, thus the "it tried to bite be" or "it bit me".

The more you get to know the bird, the more you'll enjoy and appreciate your new pet!

beds

Big Dog said:
Like all parrots they need lots of attention because they are VERY intelligent and need to be mentally stimulated.
I've only had smaller birds but agree with this. If the house is empty all day and you don't give the bird much attention at night, it will lead to the screeches and a generally unhappy pet.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had an African Grey (Timney sp?). Never again.

My cousin bought it as a baby and worked and worked with it. Couldn't take the screeching. She gave it to me - I had it for 2 years before I gave up. Screeching at 3:00 a.m. gets a little annoying when you have to go to work at 5:00. Oh yeah, they bite also. Had to handle him with thick leather welders gloves, and even at that he could (and did) leave a mark.

People we gave it to 15 years ago still have it, though I don't know why...
It has mutilated a new leather couch, a recliner, a new mattress.
I'm surprised it hasn't become someone's dinner yet.

We have lots of pets, including a couple cockatiels (and llamas and goats and horses, dogs, pigs, etc.) so I understand working with their different personalities.
I would have to call that bird "The Bird From Hell"!

Then again, that's probably what my Father thinks of me!:D