• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

???? Our Cat and putting it to sleep?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our cat is now 11 years old. For two years now it has not been able to see real well and we have had a lot of problems with it using it's litter box. Well it won't use it at all now. So while at the VET for another one of it's checkups we asked about putting it to sleep. The VET would not put it to sleep without it going through psychiatric treatment first?:confused2: How much I ask? It is around $60 depending on how many visits it takes to cure it? (I never did like this VET place) And what if you can't cure the cat?? Then we will put it to sleep but you will have to have an official burial for it? How much is that? That is around $50 depending on what style box you want for it?? And the burial plot is more if you so wish to have one. Ok, we will just take the cat home with us.

Called all the other Vets in the yellow book in our area and not one of them would just put the thing to sleep without doing some type of evaluation first. We did find one 30 miles away that would just put it to sleep and we could do with it what we wanted. I am half tempted to take care of it myself but don't know if I could bring myself to shoot it. Is there something a guy can buy online or something that would be a humane way of putting this thing to sleep without costing an arm and a leg?

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Murph,

Sorry about your situation. It's never easy.

Do you have a good friend that could do it for you? I know I would do it for my good friends - even though I'd prefer not to.

It is strange how the pet industry has gone a little crazy. If you dumped off your 11 year old cat with all those problems at the Humane Shelter it would be dead in two weeks. But try to arrange it yourself and you are treated like you are a criminal.

I doubt you can buy anything online. All the effective stuff is pretty well controlled these days. I would try to find a small rural vet, typically a one man show, they usually aren't as PC as the city vets.

I hate this "official" burial stuff too. I understand they don't want dead animals improperly disposed of but that sort of requirement is crazy.

My best pets will be buried with respect in my back yard.

Good luck, with your decision. Not a fun one for sure.

PB

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Murph, do you or any of your neighbors have a horse? We have had a couple of our house cats put down by our equine vet. Granted, we have 18 horses they get for our business, and they are most likely doing a favor (they do charge $25 though), but there are certainly no questions asked, nor ridiculous psychiatric treatment (for the cat or us) or disposal fees. (Their "burial" is really just a P.C. term for a disposal fee).

As far as doing it yourself, I have shot a feral cat and that was tough enough, I could never shoot a house cat. And for the drugs, you really need to inject them directly into the heart, or it is not quick.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can't bring yourself to do it go with PB's suggestion and find a farmer friend. They usually understand and are willing. I put my dogs down myself. Yeah, it's tough but under the circumstances and once you think about it, you come to realize it's better for the animal. The morning is tougher but it's shorter when you've given the thought and do it yourself.

Thoughts are with you ............ BD

dzalphakilo

Banned
Murph, if you love the cat, I'd seriously suggest you don't put 'em down yourself. If you do it yourself, things may be ok afterwards, however, slight chance you could have it bug you for some time afterwards (which isn't a good feeling).

I'd call around, explain to the vet you've had the cat for 11 years, but it's time for the animal to be put down and you want it done in the most humane way possible. Normal procedure we take is the animal is sedated (knocked out) and then the lethal injection is given. Reduces any issues or problems for the animal if the "kill shot" isn't given correctly the first time.

A sincere good luck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And here is another sincere good luck wish. Nothing to add in the advice column ...
I've never put ours down myself. I've been with them when they got the lethal shot though, and even that is tough. Again ... Best wishes and Good luck.

elsmitro

floppy member
Around here our Humane Shelter's will do it for you. They don't ask many questions either. It's not that they are purposely cruel; they just understand I think.