• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

100% beef dog treats - $3.99 a pound.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve always bought jerky treats for Shep (my German Shepherd) and the price of them has always been high but lately they've gone out the roof. But we’ve spoiled him terribly so he doesn’t like the cheaper Milk Bone treats. Then there’s been this problem with jerky treats from China so we’ve been limited to what we can find that is made in the US, and Milo’s seems to have the market cornered in that area. Milo’s are about $10.00 per 12.5 oz bag which plays out to about $13.00 lb. Friggen outrageous but I took them anyway.

So fast forward to the meat section where I spot a nice 3 lb Angus boneless roast for $12.00 which I toss into the basket. It lands next to my $13.00 lb Milo’s dog treats. And in a moment of profound clarity I realize that my knife, my dehydrator and this roast are going to participate in a dog treat endeavor.

It’s simple enough and I’ll be damned if I can figure out why I didn’t do this before. Why buy store bought dog treats for $13.00 lb when you can buy very nice cut of beef for $3.99 lb and make your own? And a side benefit… I can eat the dog’s treats now. :wink:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I almost lost one cat to the Chinese protein supplements. $1,800in intensive care and now she has bad kidneys.

I understand these are "treats" however if you make a main diet of red meat,you'll need to add some nutritional supplements. If you don't have other feeds in the diet, they need taurine and vitamins A&C

Both of my cats eat mostly from the butcher. I get the supplements from my vet.

BTW, my wife and I seldom eat prepared lunch meats anymore. For exactly the same reasons. I buy those roast when on sale and smoke them with hickory, garlic onion and ginger rubs. Wrap them in foil and freeze. Later slice them for sandwiches. You'll save over the bologna and it tastes far better.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I understand these are "treats" however if you make a main diet of red meat,you'll need to add some nutritional supplements. If you don't have other feeds in the diet, they need taurine and vitamins A&C
These are just treats Franc, for when one or the other of them manages to do something right. :smile: Their normal diet consists of a few cups of 4Health dry food mixed with 1/2 a can of canned food (at 4:30) each evening.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Check these out, almost looks too good to give to a dog! Hard to believe I can make 3 lbs of this for less than 1 lb of Milo's. I went to Milo's Kitchen site and they list the ingredients of their treats as:
Milos Kitchen Ingredients said:
Chicken, Soy Grits, Beef, Sugar, Glycerine, Textured Vegetable Protein, Salt, Monoglyceride, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavor, Sorbic Acid (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative), Onion Extract

Yuck! :puke1: Mine are 100% beef... :w00t2:

Attachments

• tn_a 011.jpg
    tn_a 011.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 90
  • tn_a 012.jpg
    tn_a 012.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 91
  • tn_a 014.jpg
    tn_a 014.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey dont forget the garlic salt too!! Dogs love garlic at my house anyway....

Regards, Kirk

Leni

My understanding is that both garlic and onion are not good for cats or dogs. Kidney failure can result.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will need to refrigerate them to keep from spoiling. Without brining them they will sour on you.