• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That makes a whole lot of sense.
The use of drug combinations intended for other ailments are what often leads to successful treatment if not cure for others.

Honey and whiskey. With a twist of lemon!
Mother nature's remedy?

Fixed it for you :thumbup:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Wifey fixed me up early in our relationship before we got married. Was sick, sick, sick.

First a little "spiritus" (probably spelled wrong - melted sugar mixed with polish grain alky), and then followed with a glass of of honey in lemon juice.

I was fine the next morning.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
18% increase overnight.

More from ZeroHedge, which has been spot on with their reporting while the rest of the media has been a week behind.

Update (1720ET): It's early Tuesday morning and China, which means we're getting another batch of statistics about the coronavirus outbreak - statistics that likely underplay the severity of the outbreak.

According to Chinese health authorities, 2,345 were confirmed on Monday, while another 64 died (including 48 in Wuhan alone).

Hubei Province is now reporting 13,522 cases of coronavirus infection (including 6384 in Wuhan), while 58,544 are under observation across China.

For those who are keeping score at home, that's a 18% rise in deaths overnight.

Clearly this is not contained.

Clearly it was never contained.

Clearly the Chinese were lying about this.

Clearly the WHO sat on its hands for a week longer than it should have simply because they trusted China (and publicly praised the Chinese response)

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...atients-swarm-wuhan-hospital-hong-kong-closes

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And yet another update, this from a surprise source: NPR

While NPR has been reporting on the story, it has been one of the slowest to update. It's now jumping on the updated numbers. Finally.

Coronavirus Cases Have More Than Tripled In Past Week; 17,000 Sickened In China
Bill ChappellFebruary 3, 202011:10 AM ET

China Daily CDIC/Reuters
Updated at 5:40 p.m. ET, Feb 3

China says it has more than 17,000 confirmed cases of the Wuhan coronavirus, representing a huge leap from the 4,400 cases reported as of last week. Chinese health officials said Monday morning that 2,829 new cases had been diagnosed in the past 24 hours alone.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Honey and whiskey.
Mother nature's remedy?

I don't know about mother nature but it was certainly my mother's and grandmother's remedy. A hot toddy made with blended Scotch whisky, honey, sugar and hot water was the cure for anything from a hangnail to a broken bone but was mainly used for colds during the winter. I must have spent the winters during my younger years drunker than sh*t. My grandmother, the woman from hell, used to have a toddy almost every night before bed to "help her sleep". I bet! However she did live until she was 94-years old. If that's the case and the way I drink Scotch, I should be good until I'm at least 136-years old. :1062:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know about mother nature but it was certainly my mother's and grandmother's remedy. A hot toddy made with blended Scotch whisky, honey, sugar and hot water was the cure for anything from a hangnail to a broken bone but was mainly used for colds during the winter. I must have spent the winters during my younger years drunker than sh*t. My grandmother, the woman from hell, used to have a toddy almost every night before bed to "help her sleep". I bet! However she did live until she was 94-years old. If that's the case and the way I drink Scotch, I should be good until I'm at least 136-years old. :1062:

Steven's Grandma Durkin used to hit it nightly.
She always said it was strictly for medicinal purposes.
His Dad used to put away the Bell's whisky.
Good Lord, it's true what they say about the Irish.
It helped him come up with some of his witticisms.
:yum:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think it is a lot worse than the Chinese government is reporting. The big tell tale is the Government response with locked down cities and mandatory Quarantine inside your home. With the 2% mortality rate reported they would not do that. They did not do that with SARS and that had a mortality rate in the 30% range. The military has taken over all of the hospitals and are patrolling the streets. Also I am now seeing reports on the news here that suggest that. You don't do that for the common cold. I think people here should start prepping for it now. I am, if you can get your hands on antiviral medicine I would be doing that., if not colloidal silver is known to kill viruses. My wife is Chinese and has family there. They live in the northern part of China where it is mostly un effected right now, they had to close there printing business until further notice from the government under threat of 10 years in prison along with all the other businesses the post offices are even closed. The streets look like a ghost town. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First off, that was the Scots and there is no "e" in whisky. Apart from that that, you got everything kinda right. :moon::moon::moon:

Scots were too drunk to spell and forgot the 'e'

Americans remembered the 'e' but then got all drunk and started fighting about how charred the barrel needed to be to age it in and renamed it bourbon, which also has no 'e' at all.

Then Jack Daniels came along and decided that Tennessee needed to set everyone straight so he distilled his "Tennessee Whiskey" in a county that prohibits drinking and the 'e' returned :bolt:

I think it is a lot worse than the Chinese government is reporting. The big tell tale is the Government response with locked down cities and mandatory Quarantine inside your home. ...

I think people here should start prepping for it now. I am...

Marty

Agreed on these points.

I've been watching this since before it was on the mainstream news. It was actually reported by financial news sources that I watch. The financial sources indicated that factory work and the economy could be impacted because the growth rate was so high.

Mainstream news didn't really pick up on the story until mid-January but this actually started in early December, so its been spreading for 2 full months, just just a couple weeks like most American's seem to believe.

Latest numbers posted below from Johns Hopkins:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.14.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.14.44 AM.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 215

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
m1west thinks it's time to start prepping for the epidemic to come in this country. I'm not quite at that point yet but I am monitoring the situation. Besides, I wouldn't have to do very much to get ready. I'd need to stock up some on gas and diesel but really that's about it.

As an aside, I can remember the Asian flu and the Hong Kong flu pandemics as a kid and young adult in the UK. One was in 1957 and the other was in the late 60s.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love in the age of a pandemic :smile:

Attachments

• A4D652BC-59E1-43C3-ABB5-FB7A092B1DCE.jpeg
    A4D652BC-59E1-43C3-ABB5-FB7A092B1DCE.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 227

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A more optimistic viewpoint:

Full story at link — https://www.foxnews.com/health/past-outbreaks-shaped-coronavirus-response-us

How past outbreaks shaped coronavirus response in US

Alexandria Hein

The number of coronavirus cases has nearly tripled those of the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak, but the illness remains far less deadly. And while there is concern that there may be an eventual second wave of the virus that sickens thousands more, Fox News’ Dr. Marc Siegel, who has spent years studying the public and scientific community’s responses to viral outbreaks, said that we are not yet at the stage of labeling the coronavirus a pandemic.

“If we see pockets of sustained spread, that’s when we’ll call it a pandemic,” Siegel said. ...

About 99 percent of the coronavirus cases have been diagnosed in China, where inadequate health services and overwhelmed medical facilities are grappling to keep up with the influx of cases. Siegel also noted that the regional quarantines put in place on several cities – including Wuhan which is considered the virus epicenter – may not be helping to contain the overall outbreak.

“I – and every other public health official – am concerned about how China has gone about this,” he said.

He also said China’s actions – or inactions – may be playing a role in the coronavirus fears that have spilled over to the U.S., where there have been 11 confirmed cases and no deaths. Comparatively, the flu has infected more than 20 million people and has been linked to more than 10,000 deaths.

“The coronavirus fears in the U.S. are bringing out the bad in people,” he said. “They’re over-personalizing the risk. We don’t have control over what is happening in China — China is a mess in terms of how they’re handing it.”

Siegel said Americans should be impressed and reassured by how the U.S. health agencies have been handling the outbreak and are supportive of the current travel restrictions and research going into fast-tracking potential vaccines.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
This corona virus causes pneumonia, I looked up mortality rate of pumonia. Depending on what strain of pumonia the mortality rate can be as high as 18% and thats not factoring in age or weakened immune system. To me that number more closely matches the response we are seeing in China. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder what the Anti-Vax moms will say about this?

LINK=>> https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/02/...otential-vaccine-breakthrough-squawk-box.html

UK scientist makes coronavirus vaccine breakthrough, reports Sky News

Sky News reported Wednesday morning that a British scientist has made a breakthrough in the race for a coronavirus vaccine. Dr. Scott Gottlieb, Pfizer board member and former FDA commissioner, joins “Squawk Box” by phone to discuss. James McGregor, chairman of APCO Worldwide’s greater China region, joins to break down the potential impact of the virus on businesses in China. makes coronavirus vaccine breakthrough, reports Sky News

Sky News reported Wednesday morning that a British scientist has made a breakthrough in the race for a coronavirus vaccine. Dr. Scott Gottlieb, Pfizer board member and former FDA commissioner, joins “Squawk Box” by phone to discuss. James McGregor, chairman of APCO Worldwide’s greater China region, joins to break down the potential impact of the virus on businesses in China.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
China may have accidentally posted actual data?

It’s dramatically different, and far worse, than the official numbers. See the images at the bottom of this post

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/di...y-leak-true-terrifying-coronavirus-statistics

This was not the first time Tencent has done this: as Taiwan Times notes, Chinese netizens have noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

This is where it gets even more bizarre: contrary to claiming that this was just a "fat finger" mistyping of data, observant Chinese netizens also noticed that each time the screen with the large numbers appears, it shows a comparison with the previous day's data which demonstrates a "reasonable" incremental increase, much like comparisons of official numbers.

This led many in the mainland to speculate that Tencent has two sets of data, the real data and "processed" data.

In short, two camps have emerged: one, the more optimistic, speculates that a coding problem could be causing the real "internal" data to accidentally appear. The other, far more pessimistically inclined, believes that someone behind the scenes is trying to leak the real numbers, as "the "internal" data held by Beijing may not reflect the true extent of the epidemic."

ZeroHedge Summary:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...us-under-control-nearly-2000-quarantined-hong

Wisconsin confirms first case of coronavirus, bringing US total to 12

First babies born infected with coronavirus

Hong Kong closes borders with mainland

Doctors say death rate exaggerated by Wuhan fatalities

24,628 cases, 492 deaths

President Xi says China 'capable of suppressing outbreak

Cruise ship quarantined in Hong Kong

WHO asks for more money as it 'confirms' China's numbers

2 planeloads of Americans evacuated from Wuhan landed in California early Wednesday

CDC says a total of 4 evacuations flights from Wuhan either have returned, or will return, to the US this week.

US Coast Guard checking ships arriving in US.

Update (1415ET): It hasn't even been two hours since the CDC affirmed that no new cases of the virus had been confirmed since the weekend, and Wisconsin Health Authorities have just confirmed the first case in their state - bringing the national total to 12.

Attachments

• 719BACC1-3E2F-4A73-A5BE-36BBD3748D50.jpeg
    719BACC1-3E2F-4A73-A5BE-36BBD3748D50.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 206
  • ACBC4551-18CB-469A-9ADB-F5209264FE19.jpeg
    ACBC4551-18CB-469A-9ADB-F5209264FE19.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 199

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
China may have accidentally posted actual data?

It’s dramatically different, and far worse, than the official numbers. See the images at the bottom of this post

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/di...y-leak-true-terrifying-coronavirus-statistics

ZeroHedge Summary:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...us-under-control-nearly-2000-quarantined-hong

Now those numbers correlate with the response we are seeing also citizen reports coming out of China have been saying that. ( China is lying! )

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just saw a news blip about a nightmare situation going on near Japan. A cruise ship with 4000 passengers has found 10 of them have the corona virus. So now all are confined to their cabins. Some of the worst are the interior cabins with no outside light or air. What a nightmare.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John Hopkins has upped the official numbers.

The infected number is still 150,000 shy of what is suspected in China!

Attachments

• 8AF70CA2-E2D6-4775-AB84-D9482AB53590.png
    8AF70CA2-E2D6-4775-AB84-D9482AB53590.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 216

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
American citizens evacuated from China are quarantine for 14 days.

This seems to make sense to me. Arrive here on an evacuation flight from one of the Chinese hot zones and you get to be a guest of the US Military on an isolated base while the doctors check you daily for signs of any infection. Common sense caution.

FULL STORY => https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...licksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

The United States has evacuated a number of its citizens from China amid the health crisis.

Two charter flights from Wuhan, with a total of approximately 350 passengers, landed at the Travis Air Force Base in Northern California on Wednesday. One of the planes refueled at the base before continuing on to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, according to a statement from U.S. Army Lt. Col. Christian Mitchell.

Upon arrival at the final destination, all travelers will be screened by CDC medical personnel and placed under a federally mandated 14-day quarantine. The U.S. Department of Defense "will work closely with our interagency partners and continue to provide support to the situation as requested," Mitchell said.

Two more evacuation flights from Wuhan are expected to arrive in the United States later this week. Passengers will go through a similar screening and quarantine process when they land at military bases in San Antonio, Texas, and Omaha, Nebraska.

Wisconsin now has a case of the Kung Flu.

NYPost is reporting it here => https://nypost.com/2020/02/05/wisconsin-coronavirus-case-brings-total-infected-in-us-to-12/

Wisconsin coronavirus case brings total infected in US to 12
By Tamar Lapin

A case of the new coronavirus was confirmed in Wisconsin on Wednesday — bringing the number of people infected with the deadly disease in the US to 12.

The adult patient traveled to Beijing before falling ill, and was exposed to people with the virus while traveling in China, officials with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services said.

The unidentified person’s condition is reported to be mild, and did not require hospitalization, officials said. They are in self-quarantine at home.

“The risk of getting sick from 2019 novel coronavirus in Wisconsin is very low,” said State Health Officer Jeanne Ayers. “We are responding aggressively to the situation and monitoring all developments.

There are 11 other confirmed cases in the US, including six in California, two in Illinois, and one each in Washington State, Arizona and Massachusetts.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday said all known patients are “doing well.”

“The ones who were sicker have improved,”
said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

China now faking their numbers?

Compare yesterday's chart with the one posted here.

ZeroHedge was quoted in a prior post (yesterday morning) indicating the fact that China's illnesses have been growing by THOUSANDS students every day. But not the current report. Today China is only reporting UNDER one hundred.

No new cures have been reported. No new treatments have been reported. But in one day the number of cases reported has dropped exponentially in the hot zone? :ermm:

I just don't think it can be true :hammer:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 6.29.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 6.29.14 AM.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 192

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
China is dispatching journalists to tell the coronavirus story it wants its people to hear

https://qz.com/1798070/china-seeks-to-create-positive-media-coverage-about-coronavirus/

China’s central propaganda department said on Tuesday (Feb. 4) that it would dispatch more than 300 journalists to report on the disease, which has led to more than 28,000 infections and 563 deaths in the country. Zhang Xiaoguo, a top official of the department, said in a news program that it would treat propaganda regarding the control and prevention measures of the virus as its top priority.

The decision to send the journalists came on the heels of a meeting chaired by Chinese leader Xi Jinping held earlier this week, amid mounting public anger at the government’s handling of the crisis. During the meeting, Xi and some senior government officials emphasized the importance of enhancing the regime’s control over online media. The goals include “telling the moving stories of how [people] on the front line are preventing and fighting the virus, telling the story of how China is combating the virus, and showcasing the unity of the Chinese people in the face of the virus,” said the officials, according to the Xinhua news agency (link in Chinese).

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

I just read the report. The doctor was 34 years old got infected on January 30 and now dead 6 days later. Personally I think the mortality rate is north of 20% along with being contagious, reports say you can get it 6 feet away from an infected host from breath. if you get it on your face you have it. Also the dead bodies are contagious for a period of time and it is present and infectious in poo. It will blow up in places like Africa, India and South America then who knows where ( sanctuary cities). Can still be actively spreading until April. Marty