• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker steering power booster

1955tucker443

I have a 1955 Tucker 443 sedan. It has a Vickers "steering power booster" model: S6-279-S28. Does anyone have any technical data on it and, more specifically, does anyone know how to adjust it (neutral the booster)?

Thanks

Catless

Tom:

Do you have any pictures of that dude? It's the hydraulic cylinder but I believe it is more complex than a simple push pull cylinder that came along on newer Tucker Sno-Cats. Is this right? Does it have some sort of adjustment that is internal to it's operation? There must be someone out there that knows this unit!

I wish I could help!

grd

Mtn-Track

Is this what you are talking about?

It has the integrated power valve that is actuated by the steering link that comes from the steering box. Not sure exactly what the question is here....are you trying to find the 'center' position of the steering components?

Attachments

• snocyl.jpg
    snocyl.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 935

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm guessing he has the old style reaction valve in his drag link like the old ford's they wee a pain to adjust for smooth steering responce

1955tucker443

Yes, Mtn track, that is the booster I have. I had a hydraulic shop rebuild mine and afterwards the cat would slowly turn to the left with the engine ideling. Also, if you shut the cat off for 5 minuites or so ,and then restarted it, the tracks would suddenly jerk to the left about 6 inches (at the end of the pontoons). I took it back to the hydraulic shop and they found an adjustment screw inside the unit. They put it on a test bench and went through a trail and error process where they would turn the screw 1/8 turn, reasemble it, and test it until it appeared to work right. I took it out last Tuesday and it worked good. I still don't know exactly what the adjustment does (setting a neutral or straight position?) but it works now. If anyone knows what that adjustment is (and how to properly adjust it), I would love to know. Thanks for everyones input.

Mtn-Track

The screw centers the spool valve. On mine, I have to turn the steering wheel a little to get the valve to the neutral position when I'm just sitting there or else it trys to keep turning the tracks in what ever direction I last turned. The springs in the power valve are not strong enough to take it to center (neutral) if the steering box is holding any kind of pressure on it.

muley180

I understand you have a hydraulic issue but I learned the hard way, clean and lubricate your 5th wheel assemblies. Also, in the end, my steering issue was more than anything a broken trunion pin. On your machine it is probably in the front. Mine is in the rear. This is a common and overlooked problem. I hope this helps. Best regards.

muskeg1

Mtn- Track and others...

I just got a 56 Tucker 443 with blown flathead six. I am installing Toyota 2H 6cyl diesel with gm th350 tranny and np203 low range box. I have the stock steering vain pump but am wondering if my 2H's power steering pump (allready nicely installed) has adequate flow and pressure to run the steering cyl.

Thanks