• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Career Change

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
My daughter recently changed her job career from insurance agent to truck driver. She is now working in an open pit coal mine in WY, driving a Caterpillar 797 400 ton capacity haul truck which is one of the largest trucks used in the mining industry. It is powered by two Cat V12 engines and can run almost 40 mph when unloaded. She was just tired of sitting behind a desk pushing paper around. Now her desk is a moving truck of over a million pounds when fully loaded. Mine pay runs 70K to 100K+ a year in WY.

My son is a mobile equipment operator along with being a certified blaster and large drill operator in another coal mine. He is certified to operate haul trucks, heavy transport for broken down equipment movement, dozer, motor grader, drill and any other piece of mobile mine equipment at the mine site.

The son in law is a mobile equipment and plant operator at another mine site which also has a power plant on site. It has the latest technology for clean burning of coal and is owned by about a dozen electric utility companies.

The mine shifts are 12 hours long. The miners work 14 to 16 days a month with about 14 to 16 days off each month. Benefits are very good with health, dental, vision and some mines even have profit sharing/bonus pay programs for the employees.

2012_0731-Cat797_01.jpg

0dc57d505c99f9edbd8815cef3b65b98--mining-equipment-heavy-equipment.jpg

2ba4c85d47c49ee93557cf3438a32791_f830.jpg

The Cat 797 Mining Truck – I’ll See Your V12 and Raise You Twelve

2012_0731-Cat797_02.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd love to see photos of the INSIDE of that truck.

Wow.

As for the job change, I keep telling my high school fencing students that there are many ways to achieve success in life. Congrats to her for escaping the grind of sitting behind a desk and starring at 4 walls.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
For Waybomb

4d8806e7f3482bcc4d9e90df9cb83b77--mining-equipment-heavy-equipment.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ip0L0aoqE"]P&H Mining Equipment 4100 AC Mining Shovel Walkthrough - YouTube[/ame]

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
They make the tires for these trucks here in Topeka. They look huge ... until you see what they're mounted on!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The camera is obviously zoomed in. When I was there last year,they have a lookout and souvenir shop place on the edge. From there they look like matchbox cars in the hole. I believe it's around 2 miles across and a mile down.

https://youtu.be/KUHI5D_uwd0