• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How not to get rid of a fifth wheel camper.

Bannedjoe

A friend of mine decided to sell his property out here in the middle of nowhere.
He hasn't lived here in almost 10 years since he bought a house in a small town about 80 miles away.
The prospective new owner said he'd pay cash, but first wants the place cleaned up and decluttered, so they set out to do such.

One of his larger obstacles was a large 5th wheel travel trailer.
He's tried for years to get rid of it.
No one wanted to buy it.
No one wanted it for free, and he couldn't even find someone to haul it off.
It was also infested with rodents.

His brainstorm?
I'll just rent a small excavator, a 40 yard dumpster, and crush the thing.

Let's just say, it didn't go nearly as smooth or as cleanly as he envisioned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.43.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.43.07 PM.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 126

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Biggest mistake was renting one w/o a thumb!! With a thumb he could rip off chunks and drop them in the dumpster.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the same problem at the moment. And I don't have a thumb either.

But I also know that the appliances are valuable and if I try to cram it in a dumpster, there are lots of things I would go to the trouble of removing before trying to crush it.

Bannedjoe

He has the track hoe. Dig a hole, crush it and bury it. What's the problem?
There's a lot of crap he did bury, mostly old wood that of course will decompose.
He does have a bit of a conscience about stuffing crap into a hole that isn't biodegradable.
The other thing is that he's a neighbor, and we're on the same water table.
I have the same problem at the moment. And I don't have a thumb either.

But I also know that the appliances are valuable and if I try to cram it in a dumpster, there are lots of things I would go to the trouble of removing before trying to crush it.
Nothing in the trailer worked or was worth salvaging.
I told him he should have hauled it down to I-40 in the middle of the night, set the tires on fire, and left it. :wink:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Biggest mistake was renting one w/o a thumb!! With a thumb he could rip off chunks and drop them in the dumpster.
In the bottom right corner of the 2nd picture, there appears to be a thumb. Was it used?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wish it was closer. We would've snatched it up just for the frame. Dad wants one to mount his truck camper on the gooseneck and have a flat bed on the back to load a couple quads then have a ball hitch at the rear for a boat trailer.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
In the bottom right corner of the 2nd picture, there appears to be a thumb. Was it used?

If that's a thumb then I can only attribute that mess to operator stupidity!! Well, to be kind I guess I could say operator ignorance.

Bannedjoe

If that's a thumb then I can only attribute that mess to operator stupidity!! Well, to be kind I guess I could say operator ignorance.

Must be an optical illusion.
There wasn't a thumb or he would have used it.
My friend is a mechanic who works on this machine and others for the owner of the rental company.
He has many hours on this unit, both using it and maintaining it.

The body and its contents all fit into the dumpster.
The frame is now well below ground level.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
You can still pinch demo mt'l like that w/o a thumb between the bucket and stick w/o scattering stuff from hell to breakfast.

Bannedjoe

You can still pinch demo mt'l like that w/o a thumb between the bucket and stick w/o scattering stuff from hell to breakfast.

Yup.
As I said, it didn't go nearly as smooth or as neatly as he envisioned.:th_lmao:

In hindsight, he said he should have probably just dug a hole and crushed it in it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same problem. A rat infested 32 foot camper that I cannot get rid of. It was a really nice unit with a 16 ft bump out. The TV antennae tower fell on the roof and that let water and vermin in. I'm thinking the frame would be a good flat bed bumper pull. The rest goes in the dumpster.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I bet the metal would have been worth a few dollars (maybe not a lot) at a recycler. Or at least around here it is free to drop off in the metal recycling area at the local dump

Strip the wood out and burn it. Then you have decently small pile for the dumpster.

Bannedjoe

I bet the metal would have been worth a few dollars (maybe not a lot) at a recycler. Or at least around here it is free to drop off in the metal recycling area at the local dump

Strip the wood out and burn it. Then you have decently small pile for the dumpster.

Steel just isn't paying enough to have hauled the frame 70 miles.
The brush right now is very dry, and could probably be used as a suitable substitute for gunpowder.
Couple that with the winds we've had lately, and burning becomes a no go.
At this point, it's all said and done, and there's no trace of the camper except maybe a few small tufts of insulation blowing around.