• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Harley HALTS PRODUCTION of its flagship LIVEWIRE electric motorcycle

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not only is it not attracting new customers to the brand, the motorcycle is now having problems with charging issues that are apparently bad enough to stop production.

The bikes are supposed to charge using an electric vehicle charger OR using standard 120volt current at home. Apparently its the home charging that is the problem, riders with easy access to a 'charging station' may not have issue. But those who rely on home charging are facing issues, issues serious enough to halt production of the new flagship bike.

https://advrider.com/breaking-harley-halts-production-of-the-livewire/

BREAKING: Harley Halts Production Of The LiveWire
Harley pulls the plug on its LiveWire.

Reuters is reporting that Harley-Davidson (Harley) has stopped the production of its LiveWire electric motorcycle. Harley reportedly said that it had stopped production after discovering a “non-standard” condition”. According to Harley, final quality checks identified the problem.

Harley released a statement which said:

“We recently discovered a non-standard condition during a final quality check; stopped production and deliveries; and began additional testing and analysis, which is progressing well.”

“We are in close contact with our LiveWire dealers and customers and have assured them they can continue to ride LiveWire motorcycles. As usual, we’re keeping high quality as our top priority.”

According to the Wall Street Journal, the problem is related to the electric motorcycle’s charging equipment. Harley said that testing is progressing “well”. No timeline was offered as to when the LiveWire’s production will resume.

Could the LiveWire be losing its glow?

The LiveWire has been available for pre-order since January 2019 and began shipping last month. A substantial delivery delay or perception of poor product quality could hurt the company as it struggles to rekindle is flagging sales.

Harley is betting that the LiveWire can act as a high-end concept type motorcycle that can bring new riders to the brand. Harley is facing multiple problems as baby boomer buyers age out of motorcycling and the belief that Millenials apparently have little interest in motorcycling or do not have the money to purchase Harley’s machines.

With these new headwinds, Harley faces a tough road ahead.

Attachments

• h-d-115-livewire-2_750xx1000-565-0-103.jpg
    h-d-115-livewire-2_750xx1000-565-0-103.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 181
  • harley-livewire-header-750x375.jpg
    harley-livewire-header-750x375.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 156

Bannedjoe

An electric motorcycle?
Just stop.

Until electricity can be generated cleanly, and for free, the whole idea of electric vehicles is just stupid to me.
How can you justify driving a "Clean" operating car or bike and not think about the coal plant miles away creating that electricity?

But an electric motorcycle?
Talk about sucking the romance right out of riding a bike.

Then again, an electric horse with the clippity clop removed might be a good idea to some too.:idea:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
An electric motorcycle?
Just stop.

Until electricity can be generated cleanly, and for free, the whole idea of electric vehicles is just stupid to me.
How can you justify driving a "Clean" operating car or bike and not think about the coal plant miles away creating that electricity?

But an electric motorcycle?
Talk about sucking the romance right out of riding a bike.

Couldn't agree with you more. The disconnect between plugging in your electric car/motorcycle and where that electricity comes from is amazing.

For Harley, the whole concept of an electric motorcycle is flawed. It is supposed to bring new riders into the Harley fold but at over $20K, new younger riders can't afford it. Older riders possibly could but they'd be changing over from conventional Harleys and most of them ride Harleys for a reason other than sitting on a silent machine with very limited range. It's a no win situation for them. I'd halt production permanently before they lose the company again.

Besides, there are better and cheaper alternatives out there already and sans the Harley name, the Livewire isn't good enough to sweep them aside.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Couldn't agree with you more. The disconnect between plugging in your electric car/motorcycle and where that electricity comes from is amazing.

For Harley, the whole concept of an electric motorcycle is flawed. It is supposed to bring new riders into the Harley fold but at over $20K, new younger riders can't afford it. Older riders possibly could but they'd be changing over from conventional Harleys and most of them ride Harleys for a reason other than sitting on a silent machine with very limited range. It's a no win situation for them. I'd halt production permanently before they lose the company again.

Besides, there are better and cheaper alternatives out there already and sans the Harley name, the Livewire isn't good enough to sweep them aside.
Actually those things are pushing $30,000 :hammer:

And with a 100 mile range there are probably a few HD riders that can't make it all the way to Starbucks and then back home before the battery dies.

Seems to me an electric motorcycle is a great COMMUTER bike for urban dwellers. Short rides to from work, certainly more efficient than a car. But outside of uses like commenting and short recreational use, I just don't see them as practical. And never at the price point at which they all sell. Even the "cheap" electric motorcycles I've found are in the $15,000 range. Heck there are plenty of Hondas, Suzukis, etc that can be purchased for under $7500 and you'd have $7500 to spend on fuel to take you a lot farther than an electric bike will ever take you.

Bamby

Seems to me an electric motorcycle is a great COMMUTER bike for urban dwellers. Short rides to from work, certainly more efficient than a car. But outside of uses like commenting and short recreational use, I just don't see them as practical. And never at the price point at which they all sell. Even the "cheap" electric motorcycles I've found are in the $15,000 range. Heck there are plenty of Hondas, Suzukis, etc that can be purchased for under $7500 and you'd have $7500 to spend on fuel to take you a lot farther than an electric bike will ever take you.

I'm thinking that a electric bicycle or electric assisted bicycle would prove out as being pretty handy to have around you uses as you stated above and could be sold at a far more economical price point.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems that the $29,750 electric H-D LIVEWIRE is back in production!

The 'non-standard' issue, which halted production of the entire line, turned out to exist in ONLY ONE of the motorcycles examined and production and delivery of pre-ordered motorcycles has resumed.