• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It's tax time!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone else running behind? Besides doing my own, I need to do my FIL's, BIL's and daughters. Ours alone was over 50 pages.

Income taxes definitely need simplified. :(

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone else running behind? Besides doing my own, I need to do my FIL's, BIL's and daughters. Ours alone was over 50 pages.

Income taxes definitely need simplified. :(

Just finishing up. I know I owe so I never get in a rush. Not 50 pages but way too many. Farming, horse boarding, and a very small percentage of an oil lease.

Jim

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Wife closed her business and retired so now I do our own taxes and finished them up the middle of February or so with a small refund 3 weeks or so later. No more expensive accountants and no more quarterly taxes.

My life now is cashing SS and union pension checks. :yum:

jwstewar

Yep, definitely running behind. I took off a couple hours early yesterday so I could go home and work on them. They filled out now, but not filed. I will go home tonight and look through them again just to make sure I didn't screw them up royally.

A little trickier than normal. We sold out of the Boer goats, so we "shut the old farm" down that was under my name, formed a new farm for the dairy goats under Monica's name. So that was a bit tricky. Then also my oldest daughter started college. There are some things to learn there including how to handle her scholarships.

I've always like the HR Block software, but I've never needed help. Last night had a couple questions. Never did find out how to speak to a live person. I tried Turbo Tax a couple years ago, but didn't like it as well. I'll probably switch back to it next year. In the even of an issue, I know Intuit's support is top notch.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife handles all the tax stuff since she works for Canada revenue and has 3 yrs accounting. I struggle to count past 10 without taking off my socks.

Canadian eh!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took mine to the accountant last week.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I actually enjoy doing my own taxes. I know that is perverted. I just max out the HSA contributions and live as cheaply as I can. I drive a 14 year old truck so you can't get much more cheap than that. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the accountant just sent me 6 questions, asked for various bank statements that I apparently didn't provide, needs some property closing documents, etc.

Oy, I love this time of year.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Need advice. Should I trade now for one thats two years older or just wait a couple of years until mine is 14???:bolt:

Oh, you should wait two years, you truck will be 14 years old then. Of course, I will still have mine, it will then be 16 years old and I will still be accusing you of being a truck rook. :yum::yum:

Unless.....I submit to the dark side and buy that jet black 2019 Ranger XLT Lariat FX/4 the local dealer has for $44,000 out the door. :yum::yum::yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, you should wait two years, you truck will be 14 years old then. Of course, I will still have mine, it will then be 16 years old and I will still be accusing you of being a truck rook. :yum::yum:

Unless.....I submit to the dark side and buy that jet black 2019 Ranger XLT Lariat FX/4 the local dealer has for $44,000 out the door. :yum::yum::yum:

I would say buy it. That way I can get ahead of you in the old truck race! :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I would say buy it. That way I can get ahead of you in the old truck race! :yum:

I admit, I was tempted. A really nice truck, all the bells and whistles and then some but last year I poured some $$ into all new brakes, shocks, front end components and front wheel bearings and ABS sensors. This year new fog lights and door switch. Moral of the story, gotta get my money back on that investment so keeping it for a while longer. On the flip side, one does not live forever and you sure as hell cannot take it with you. LOL.

Maybe when they come out with the Ranger Raptor SVT with the 3.5L Eco boost Cyclone in a few years the temptation will be too hard to resist. :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the flip side, one does not live forever and you sure as hell cannot take it with you. LOL.
That's the decision I made a couple years back. I was driving a 12-year-old truck that was still nice but thought to myself that I get one more new truck in my life so I traded it in on a new Silverado.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sad but true.
c6e8d47a0998fe1fb049fe20d4ef922a.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

jwstewar

Finally finished ours last night. Got them and ours daughters filed. They were accepted by the IRS within 10-15 minutes. Still need to do my sister's, but hers will be quick and easy. Doesn't take long to do when you don't make anything, don't do anything, and don't own anything.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone's tax rate go down this year? Mine did - I may be one of the few people that Trump's tax changes benefited! Or TurboTax screwed up.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Doubling the standard deduction to 24 K was a big plus for us as we no longer are able to itemize deductions. i have no complaints. I will leave all that to the goofy liberals who love to complain about everything.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I paid less in tax, but I also didn't send in enough all along.
If things don't change in the confiscation rules, I'll be at near zero either way next time around.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doubling the standard deduction to 24 K was a big plus for us as we no longer are able to itemize deductions. i have no complaints. I will leave all that to the goofy liberals who love to complain about everything.

Yeah, I think that is what did it for us. Didn't really seem to affect the amount of taxes we paid but the rate did go down. Fun with numbers.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My accountant sent me an email.

I'm getting some of the over-extracted hard earned money I sent to the government back, without interest payments, from them. That is an unusual event.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the good news from my accountant on Sunday .......... I got a bunch back, I was paying quarterlies on the old rate. I got back enough to pay my first quarter for 2019, so nothing lost all the way around. CPA said drop quarterlies by 5%. Whooo Hooo.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was happy to see my refund applied to my account today. 9 days from when I e-filed until I got my refund. :)

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Wife closed her business and retired so now I do our own taxes and finished them up the middle of February or so with a small refund 3 weeks or so later. No more expensive accountants and no more quarterly taxes.

My life now is cashing SS and union pension checks. :yum:

thats what I am in the process of doing right now. I think I can pay my house off in a couple years and everything else already is. I was planning to go to 66 for my full s.s. I am 61 now. But after doing my taxes this year without a lot of write-off and a rental home I no longer have I am paying 50% between Fed. and State. I told my son today when the house is paid for I may go sooner than expected. I can't imagine taking all the B.S. that goes along with running a business then netting less than the help.