Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 AM

3512b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BIG FIX ALASKA...Thiokol 601

Like Red Green said
" if you can't be handsome. . Be handy!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3512b For This Useful Post:
DAVENET (03-08-2016), loggah (03-08-2016), pixie (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrac Nome View Post
as far as bush mechanics I think they should find a real bush mechanic who lives in the bush not some one who travels from the road system.
Isn't a bush mechanic up north the same as a landscaper in the lower 48
jim slagle  (03-08-2016), Pontoon Princess (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:36 AM

Trackrig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldonia View Post
Earlier this year an episode featured a field repair of a big ass Nowell. Had a bad foam filled tire. The guy tried all kinds of ways to create slack in the track to get the wheel off. Ended up just using a come a long to lift the track above the wheel. Huh! Just what I have been doing on my tiny ass Nodwell.
Love the show. Stuff breaks and there are many ways to make a repair.
It's really rather simple if he had the experience and went prepared - just use two Handy Man jacks, one either side of the tire to lift the track up. It also works if you run a com-a-long across from the other side of the deck and hook it to the track right above the tire.

Then you need a small 2-ton hydraulic jack. Put it under the wheel hub which is controlled by the torsion spring suspension putting pressure downwards. You might get the tire off without the jack, but it's about impossible to get the tire back on once the hub falls down.

Bill
Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 AM

Trackrig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidertom View Post
So, is there anyone in Alaska that hasn't been on one of these 'reality shows'? I can't hardly turn on the TV without seeing some sort of alaska TV program. "guys in the bush", 'bush babes', whats next, 'guys in the bush babes"? Poaching in alaska? " Martha Stewart's: Decorating the survival hut?

CSI Pipeline: While inspecting a third party electrical contractor, the owners electrical supervisor is mysteriously run over by a snow-cat operated by a contractor for Dis^^^&%$ Channel. The only clue was a scrawled note by the dead electrician " Et-tu Brutis"?
I can't say I know anyone who's been on one. I know even less people up here that watch them. They're filmed for people Stateside to watch that have never been here.

Anyone seen the movie On Frozen Ground? They wanted to film it at our house where the Hansen lived when he was killing the girls. We told them no and they couldn't believe we refused them.

Bill

Bill
Old 03-10-2016, 02:11 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrig View Post
It's really rather simple if he had the experience and went prepared - just use two Handy Man jacks, one either side of the tire to lift the track up. It also works if you run a com-a-long across from the other side of the deck and hook it to the track right above the tire.

Then you need a small 2-ton hydraulic jack. Put it under the wheel hub which is controlled by the torsion spring suspension putting pressure downwards. You might get the tire off without the jack, but it's about impossible to get the tire back on once the hub falls down.

Bill
this is likely why you all never see me unless I'm in the background as I go prepared and nothing gets dicked up
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool