Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Bronze Member

loggah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Lombard" oldest snow machine

Heres a pretty good steam lombard video ,that was sent to me a few weeks ago. There is a gas lombard toward the end working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSq7...ature=youtu.be
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loggah For This Useful Post:
3512b (12-23-2014), Kristi Kt-4 (12-22-2014), torovision (12-22-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

DAVENET is on a distinguished road

Wow. I have to say I never imagined something with a contact patch that small would be able to get that much weight moving. Keeping it going is one thing, but from a dead stop is mighty impressive.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

Its all in the leverage!!! The hitch is up fairly high on the machines and as you pull the sleds the track is forced down,with the log haulers being long machines this lets them pull more. A 10 ton gas lombard would pull as much as two regular 10 ton crawlers,holt 10 ton ,or cat 60. They also had 40 more horsepower then the competitors.The steamers were impressive machines weighing about 20 tons with water and fuel,and the higher the safety valve was set the more H.P. Back in the early 1980's i actually talked to the engineer of that steamer,Ashley Leighton he was pretty old then but lived a few miles from the steamer ran. Don
Old 12-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

I'm guessing the season for getting your wood out with a Lombard in the winter would have been pretty tight. Right there between waiting for the ground to freeze solid and getting out before mud season!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

that's neat I would love a picture of the hitch position .leatrac built little crawlers for towing around b29's on turf fields in ww2.they had a hitch that was suspended in the rear extending to the front of the cat for the same reason ,the geometry would pull the tractor down for more tractive force when under load .
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 12-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member

The hitch is probably 30" or so above the ground,i'll have to measure one of mine to be sure,and there pulling at about 10" where it connects on the sleds with about a 6' reach drawbar. All the lombard sled irons were made to be loose jointed with play in the sled runner ends ,sort of like a railroad coupler.when a machine came to a stop with loaded or empty sleds the operator would back the sleds up a bit.That would give him slack so he would never have to start all the sleds at once. Heres a link to the other machine im putting together its on another forum im on,theres a lot of pictures to the mechanics of the machine. Don

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c,78827.0.html
The Following User Says Thank You to loggah For This Useful Post:
Sno-Surfer (01-14-2015)
Old 12-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Bronze Member

nikos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVENET View Post
Wow. I have to say I never imagined something with a contact patch that small would be able to get that much weight moving. Keeping it going is one thing, but from a dead stop is mighty impressive.
The best snow grooming equipment - drags for cross country trails

Nikos
Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

Those Tuckers have a pretty high hitch ,they pulled rollers,powder makers and a tucker mogul planer pretty well.I used to work on all kinds of snow grooming equipment at the ski area,tuckers, bombardiers, thiokols,and pisten bullies, 13 years of it,probably 20 different tractors.I'm not new to this stuff by any means.They had a bunch of "snowmasters" there but got sick of rebuilding VW engines so down the road they went. That was in the late 60's. They were good little machines but they were not made to go straight up and down mountains !! Don
Old 12-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,886 Times in 872 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

I think there is a Lombard at the Colorado mining museum... Looks familiar anyway. Could they have been used in the mining industry back in the day?

And yes Snow Tracs are good little machines on their own. But pulling grooming equiptment regularly wouldn't be high on the list of what they were made for. I believe the main intentions of the inventer were to move people, not snow... That came later, and I question how succesfull they really were at that task.

Thanks, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Kirk, What was at the museum was probably a "LINN" truck or "LINN" log hauler .They were similar to the Lombard and a lot of them were made and used in the mining industry. If i remember correctly the S Donnowmasters had a small roll that was in front of the engine and a small roll that folded down on each side of the track. They were just used for packing,the mountain had some really steep grades and it was pretty hard on those little machines. I know toward the end one of the mechanics could swap out an engine in about 1 hour.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

nikos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
The best snow grooming equipment - drags for cross country trails

Nikos
I have to apologize for my laughing.
I usually when i do something by my hand or by my self, i try to find the best way to solve the problems.
At this days i am trying to construct a extra light drag equipment (parts of wood and iron) for my ST4. (I will send the photos later) Not something particular, mechanic and heavy, but something simple only to play with it, and not to groom. (I am not groomer)
So i am laughing as a way, for my project, for what i do. Sometimes i need to sarcasm myself, in what i do. So my thoughts and my writes, are not necessary ironic.
When i saw the video with the steam Lombard, to pull a half dozen of sleighs with those heavy trees, i realize the forces, not only the horse power of these impressive machines, but the (vertical) forces from the heavyweight of the sleighs on the ground (snow). On those snow flat country trails, these heavy machines with the extra equipment (Sleighs and carries), were the best snow grooming drags.

I am thinking to put some trees on my snow drag.

I am watching with a lot of interesting these unique stories with those historical "mechanical dinosaurs". We can understud how they dissapeared in the early years of 20th century, but i need to know HOW they lived in the past years, when they used to work.
Who says that the dinosaurs disappeared. They survived thanks to Don Loggah, and also there are few out of the museums, there are free in mother nature.

My respect and my appreciation to Mr "Iron Man"

Nikos
Old 12-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

Nikos, No apologies necessary ! i took no offense to anything you said ,all good people here. a steam log hauler sled by themselves weighs tons,i think if you throw a few pieces of logs or lumber on your drag it will work fine!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:03 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have to apologize for my laughing.
I usually when i do something by my hand or by my self, i try to find the best way to solve the problems.
At this days i am trying to construct a extra light drag equipment (parts of wood and iron) for my ST4. (I will send the photos later) Not something particular, mechanic and heavy, but something simple only to play with it, and not to groom. (I am not groomer)
So i am laughing as a way, for my project, for what i do. Sometimes i need to sarcasm myself, in what i do. So my thoughts and my writes, are not necessary ironic.
When i saw the video with the steam Lombard, to pull a half dozen of sleighs with those heavy trees, i realize the forces, not only the horse power of these impressive machines, but the (vertical) forces from the heavyweight of the sleighs on the ground (snow). On those snow flat country trails, these heavy machines with the extra equipment (Sleighs and carries), were the best snow grooming drags.

I am thinking to put some trees on my snow drag.

I am watching with a lot of interesting these unique stories with those historical "mechanical dinosaurs". We can understud how they dissapeared in the early years of 20th century, but i need to know HOW they lived in the past years, when they used to work.
Who says that the dinosaurs disappeared. They survived thanks to Don Loggah, and also there are few out of the museums, there are free in mother nature.

My respect and my appreciation to Mr "Iron Man"

Nikos
if you are interested I have built one that works pretty good it was simple and in expensive I can e-mail you some pics .
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/show...1&postcount=35
Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Bronze Member

Dave, That link you posted is of a Steam Log hauler that i helped restore. It is machine number 70 that was made in 1914,there were 83 steamers made the last one in 1917. The man steering the machine is a good friend of mine Leon Noel. The machine is located in Lincoln N.H. at clarks trading post,White mountain Central R.R.,Where they have a tourist railroad,and museums of early Americana.There are parts of 5 different machines scrounged out of the Maine woods and 12 years before the restored machine was finished. heres a picture of me steering the same machine in 1989 when we first fired it.

heres me again steering the old beast a few years ago,the machine dont look any older ,but i do !!!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loggah For This Useful Post:
3512b (02-16-2015), DAVENET (01-04-2015), Northcoast (12-30-2014), sno-drifter (12-30-2014), Sno-Surfer (01-14-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,524 Times in 636 Posts
Track Addict is on a distinguished road

Seen that Lombard up at clarks today. Doesn't look the same without you on it.
loggah (07-10-2015), sno-drifter (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

Been a few years since i have set on the stearsman seat!!! I been working on the diesel lombard pretty steady,should have it runnng sometime next week "MAYBE"!!!! You should have stopped by!!
The Following User Says Thank You to loggah For This Useful Post:
3512b (07-11-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,415 Times in 2,822 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggah View Post
Been a few years since i have set on the stearsman seat!!! I been working on the diesel lombard pretty steady,should have it runnng sometime next week "MAYBE"!!!! You should have stopped by!!
Please post a VIDEO

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,524 Times in 636 Posts
Track Addict is on a distinguished road

Had the troops today family time. . I plan to get there somehow before snow flies. Lots of great stuff up your way.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM

steeltrackmind is on a distinguished road

Beauties!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk