• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama has got his own Vietnam:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I suppose I would have to agree that during the Vietnam years as well as now Americans are at war with themselves, I don't see this as Obama's Vietnam. Vietnam has such a negative connotation I hate to tie anything going on today to that time frame. Back then it was the younger generation against the older for the most part. And today, well it's much the same. Some of that younger generation from the Vietnam days have stayed with the liberal point of view and they are siding with the younger generation of today so this is seen more as a Republican vs Democrat disagreement. Big government vs Small government.

It does surprise me that any liberals from the Vietnam era would be in favor of big government.

My favorite quote from the link is:

It was Washington telling us, “Government knows best,” and if there’s anything we know for sure, regardless of which party holds office, it’s that government can screw up a two-car funeral.

That’s why, in his first inaugural address, Ronald Reagan drew thunderous applause in proclaiming, “Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.”

I more or less agree with the quote and I'm surprised at those who believe more government is the solution to any problem we face today. Sure we need rules and regulations to control some businesses but we have to be careful as those same rules and regulations can be the cause of the problem. Such as the banking / home loan problems. Barney Frank thought everyone should be able to afford their dream home and he made sure banks gave them loans whether they could qualify or not. Mr. Frank's plan made a lot of people rich, but now it's time to pay the piper as things are never free and the belt tightening is affecting home sales nationwide. Had things been left to run their natural course with bankers deciding who would qualify for home loans there would be no housing crisis today. The cheap loans falsely increased the 'value' of real estate and now that the cheap loans are gone real estate values are dropping as they should.