• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How long does it take a snowflake to fall ?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I admitt it . I have been drinkin and I am watching it snow and I am bored . Big flakes and small flakes . I just asked the wife how long a snowflake is airboure before it hits the ground and she had no idea . A Minute? An Hour ?

This really has me wondering ??:unsure:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
How about you go up and follow one down and time it!!!!!!!!:brows:....and then let us know
See if you can check out this no two alike thing.......looks like sooner or later he would run out of patterns!!!!!!!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
How about you go up and follow one down and time it!!!!!!!!:brows:....and then let us know
See if you can check out this no two alike thing.......looks like sooner or later he would run out of patterns!!!!!!!!!

Great ! I try to be serious and you guys blow me off !!! Man I need to know this . I will not sleep tonight without a serious answer . :unsure::w00t2:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
They haven't moved NASA to East Texas but I'll give you the answer ... to many variables to come to a definite or definitive answer.

Have another couple of Dr Rums and it won't seem all that importany any more. :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
They haven't moved NASA to East Texas but I'll give you the answer ... to many variables to come to a definite or definitive answer.

Have another couple of Dr Rums and it won't seem all that importany any more. :yum:

Ok .... Since all I have gotten is smart ass replies I decided to do my own experiment . I got out my 7mm with my 3-9 Nikon scope and zeroed in on one fat snowflake . It came floating down ...... but then I saw another that peeked my interest . Now I am dizzy and still do not have my answer .

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I got out my 7mm with my 3-9 Nikon scope and zeroed in on one fat snowflake . It came floating down ...... but then I saw another that peeked my interest.

There's your problem. Unless the caliber matches the snowflake you won't get a valid number. In Idaho most snowflakes are 35 Remington sized. Also, you need to set the scope at 4X.

Jim

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
What an absolute waste of your time and money.. STOP IT!:hammer:

There are government grants for this sort of thing.

Get busy fillin' out forms.:brows:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Now there's a thought. It could be worth millions in research grants. Oh shit, that's my tax dollars. Piss off Al, go to Panama and don't even trouble your mind with such nonsense.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, after careful thought there are numerous factors that will all effect the time needed. First and foremost from what altitude are the flakes coming from? If it is a low hanging dense cloud like your farts it will obviously require less time. All the wetness will accelerate the rate of decent much the same as your wet sharts do when they soil your undies. Third, just like the girls all say "size does matter". A large light weight flake falling from a higher altitude could easily take minutes to reach the ground. Give us a better idea of the factors influencing these vital calculations.:whistling: