• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hard for me to believe but: Poll: Obama Leads Head-to-Head Match-Ups with Republican

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shocking :eek:

Polls
TIME Poll: Obama Leads Head-to-Head Match-Ups with Republican Rivals
By Alex Altman

Despite sweeping pessimism about the nation’s fortunes and his own sliding approval ratings, President Obama leads potential Republican rivals Mitt Romney and Rick Perry in hypothetical general-election match-ups, according to a new TIME poll.

Obama leads Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who sits atop the GOP presidential field, 46% to 43% among likely voters. The President has opened a double-digit lead over Perry, 50% to 38%, highlighting concerns percolating through the GOP that the Texas governor would face a steep uphill climb should he capture the nomination. Obama also boasts a 49% to 37% edge over businessman Herman Cain, whose strong Tea Party support has propelled him toward the top of Republican ranks in recent weeks.

In each case, the President was buoyed by his performance among female voters. Women prefer Obama over Romney by eight percentage points (49% to 41%), by 17 points over Perry (53% to 36%) and by 21 points over Cain (53% to 32%).

Obama’s strength in head-to-head match-ups with potential Republican rivals belies his own shaky footing with a weary electorate. Just 44% of voters approve of the President’s performance, a slip of four points since a similar poll was conducted in June. Four out of five respondents say the U.S. has veered off track, and 71% think the country’s clout in the world is waning. A scant 5% report feeling positive or unconcerned about the state of the nation.

The President’s positive personal qualities have cushioned voters’ frustration with the sagging U.S. economy, the exodus of capital to overseas markets and the declining value of the dollar. Most voters see Obama as tough enough to shepherd the U.S. through this rough patch (50% to 44%), and empathetic (59% to 37%) to the concerns of Americans like themselves. By a 48% to 37% margin, respondents consider him a better President than his predecessor, George W. Bush, who won a hard-fought battle for a second term amid falling approval ratings and an opposition galvanized by the war in Iraq.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/10/1...tch-ups-with-republican-rivals/#ixzz1afekPdt5

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't find it surprising based on all the polls I seen lately. Also look at the demographics of registered voters. Democrats are at 30%, Republicans 26% with the rest like me independent which is the majority. I might add as bad as the personal number are for the democrats the republican do worse especially when it comes to the economy. The only place I've seen Obama get anything above 50% rating is fighting terrorism which I saw last night.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For me these early polls are meaningless since you are pitting one ticket against several. When it gets down to two candidates, the polls start to mean something.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
For me these early polls are meaningless since you are pitting one ticket against several. When it gets down to two candidates, the polls start to mean something.

I have to agree with you Jim. Any one of these candidates can melt down at any time.