• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stupid Weather Reporting!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
WTF, why does the Weather Channel and the other MSM outlets feel the need to have reporters standing out in 100MPH wind and drenching rain? I friggin' get it Hurricane Matthew is bad. Why subject these guys to getting hurt from flying debris? God forbid one of these reporters gets hurt, maimed or killed from a piece of metal roofing or a stop sign and that will be that.

Must be me, but I would tell those assholes you go stand out in it. That would be the end of my job. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd rather deal with a few snowflakes than hurricanes any day. Stay safe down there

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
WTF, why does the Weather Channel and the other MSM outlets feel the need to have reporters standing out in 100MPH wind and drenching rain? I friggin' get it Hurricane Matthew is bad. Why subject these guys to getting hurt from flying debris? God forbid one of these reporters gets hurt, maimed or killed from a piece of metal roofing or a stop sign and that will be that.

Must be me, but I would tell those assholes you go stand out in it. That would be the end of my job. :yum:

Your not the only one who feels that way.
I saw a local disk jockey named Dave Pratt who also has a TV show here say the same thing He was commenting about Al Roker (who was wearing a yellow slicker) being in a Morton Salt (girl) costume.

Leni

Once someone is killed or seriously injured they'll stop as soon as the lawsuit is filed.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
That will be the ultimate ratings booster to see some dumbass weather reading bobble head swept out by the tide.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:biggrin:

Attachments

• jim_cantore.png
    jim_cantore.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 173

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
WTF, why does the Weather Channel and the other MSM outlets feel the need to have reporters standing out in 100MPH wind and drenching rain?

You're not the only one to have wondered about that. It's for dramatic effect I suppose but it serves absolutely no useful purpose what-so-ever. Having been out in weather like that many times I can assure you that it's not a pleasurable experience. Rain being driven by a 100 mph wind freekin' hurts.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I think it must be the "Look, we told you there was bad weather and here it is" effect caused by the 70% of weather predictions being WRONG !

:)

Leni

I think it must be the "Look, we told you there was bad weather and here it is" effect caused by the 70% of weather predictions being WRONG !

:)

Not my Dads forecasting. He was a weatherman for Trans World Airlines for 34 years. The safe arrival of the flight depended on an accurate forecast. It determined how much fuel the plane would carry. His forecast determined the route taken and which alternates they could land at. If he blew it the plane could run out of fuel with no airport nearby. There's nothing like running into an unpredicted headwind and you're low on fuel.

By the way he was forecasting before the satellites. All of the West Coasts weather comes off the Pacific. The only reports he had about what was going out there was from ships at sea.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
You're not the only one to have wondered about that. It's for dramatic effect I suppose but it serves absolutely no useful purpose what-so-ever. Having been out in weather like that many times I can assure you that it's not a pleasurable experience. Rain being driven by a 100 mph wind freekin' hurts.
That is the solemn truth. I've had to ride out one or two hurricanes on ships underway and it is not even vaguely
pleasant. [Military ships always take hurricanes underway; being tied up in port when they hit is a sure way to get a ship
beat to death, banging up against a pier. Better for the ship, but hard on the crew.]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That is the solemn truth. I've had to ride out one or two hurricanes on ships underway and it is not even vaguely
pleasant. [Military ships always take hurricanes underway; being tied up in port when they hit is a sure way to get a ship
beat to death, banging up against a pier. Better for the ship, but hard on the crew.]

True story. We had an emergency underway with a hurricane coming similar to Matthew. To say we left Norfolk in a hurry would be an understatement. It was rough, but the birdfarm weathered it well. No planes on board so that was a plus. The airdales were nice and comfy at NAS Oceania. :yum:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
True story. We had an emergency underway with a hurricane coming similar to Matthew. To say we left Norfolk in a hurry would be an understatement. It was rough, but the birdfarm weathered it well. No planes on board so that was a plus. The airdales were nice and comfy at NAS Oceania. :yum:
I never had the chance to ride out a storm on something that big but guess it must be a lot better than taking it on smaller
ships. On the other hand I rode out a typhoon on a gator freighter off Yankee Station and watched the USS America lift
her entire stern out of the water every other swell. I understand the vibration through the ship was tooth-rattling when
those props broke surface and started spinning in the air! :puke2:

Fun times. You couldn't pay me for those memories, but you also couldn't pay me enough to do it again! :w00t2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Hail hitting ones head also hurts, but this wasn't at 100 mph :yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Fun times. You couldn't pay me for those memories, but you also couldn't pay me enough to do it again! :w00t2:

Ain't that the truth!!!

All that was back in the days when I was young, immortal and invincible. Now I'm older, more vulnerable and a lot, lot smarter.

The 100-year storm in the North Sea entails 100mph winds and 100 foot seas. 100-year storm my ass. I went through 2 of them in one year. I was also offshore when a hurricane developed right in the Gulf. We got everybody off the platform except for the last 5, me included, who were responsible for the evacuation, shutting everything down and securing the platform. They canceled our evacuation flight and sent the helicopters inland for safety. It was a rough freekin' night, I can tell you.