• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hagglunds joining the fleet

Moose Guy

Alaska Moose Federation was donated 2 Hagglund BV206s which are former Navy SEAL units from Kodiak. Once the donation went through, ATA sent Walt Hitesman (aka ATA's 'Big Toe' because we can't live without him) over to Kodiak to see what shape the units were in. One of the missions these rigs will help perform is to create diversionary snow trails for moose to help keep them away from highways. Here's the 2 units that were donated.
Trip from Kodiak #01.jpg
Trip from Kodiak #01b.jpg
A big THANK YOU goes out to Retired SSG Jay Baldwin and CSM Pam Harrington who helped facilitate this generous donation!!! :clap:
Rat's nest.jpg
Walt had his work cut out for him with some loose wires. Since the other unit was running, he was able to trace the wires and reattach where they belonged.
Missing hoses.jpg
Walt also had a leaking fuel line in the engine compartment, some missing hoses and, after installing 2 new batteries, he got the second one running as well! :applause:
Ready for the ferry #01a.jpg
Here's ATA's 'Big Toe' (reference the movie 'Stripes' if you don't know how important your Big Toe is) after he got both units running!

They are arriving tonight (July 6, 2015) in Whittier on the MV Kennicott which is a ferry in the Alaska Marine Highway System. We will have more photos of their unloading and transport from Whittier to Palmer soon. Stay tuned as 2 more snow cats join the growing fleet!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty nice!

But free doesn't mean cheap either... Lets hope these units run a long time. From what I hear, they are a ball buster on your wallet to keep them running. I hope I am wrong, and Good luck.

Regards, Kirk

Tarek

I am in new owner of a bv206, and those things are built very tough, while being extremely simple . The expensive parts are the tracks and the drivetrain. Everything else is Mercedes parts . I would not put it into the most expensive category, especially for the value and functionality they bring

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I will admit they do have some good points, after of 15 years in the national guard working on them simple and in expensive I would argue that point buy a starter if you can get one or an alternator. as much as I don't like hacking them up Bill fraley might be on to something with his power train conversions, and 12 volt conversions. at least the wear parts are now available. the wiring diagram is hell to follow and like most European products way over engineered. the one that gets me is the alternator must be charging to run the shutoff solenoid to shut down. otherwise congratulation's on your new project. just because its not my first choice doesn't mean it isn't the best rig for you