• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 1450 s/n D1C-1501 - Custom Build - by Nikson

tomelroy

your project has inspired me to build an all aluminum cab and deck for my lmc 1500. I will keep it the same shape, but rid it of all the steel and factory bondo that is rusting and flaking. Hopefully shave off some weight in the process.

Any pics of the doors?

jask

Wow! I was originally looking at these pics on my phone and missed that roll bar... on the desktop monitor it looks STOUT! well done!

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like you are going all the way this time. I can't believe how much you have got done already. Fabulous job as always. It will be one of the coolest cats around!
Are you going to Leavenworth?

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
your project has inspired me to build an all aluminum cab and deck for my lmc 1500. I will keep it the same shape, but rid it of all the steel and factory bondo that is rusting and flaking. Hopefully shave off some weight in the process.

Any pics of the doors?

Glad that I could be of help to someone else!

So far i'm happy with the weight difference, as well as "less corrosion" issues overall...

Door pictures are coming soon, still working in the garage on this...

As far as bondo & rust - those were the reasons I didnt keep the original cab, although its still in good shape.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you are going all the way this time. I can't believe how much you have got done already. Fabulous job as always. It will be one of the coolest cats around!
Are you going to Leavenworth?

Yeah, lots of work already behind, and feels like everyday its never going to end... although must say I have great hopes to be done around the end of January.

Leavenworth - without a cat & plenty of snow, I figured it wouldnt be right thing to do - come there 2nd year in the row without a cat... :)

At this point, I dont plan to sell the 1450 anytime soon, and I sure hope we'll have another gathering next year in 2016 - than I'll be ready for it...

Sno-Surfer

Great looking work Nikson. I like to see such good work happening in small places. I'm usually working on mine in the driveway.

Side note, have you taken any of your cats to the Dutchman flat area? Every time I go to Bachelor I always want to bring the cat and mess around in that area. Looks like it could be fun.
Hope to see you at the Timberline event if you don't make the Leavenworth one.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great looking work Nikson. I like to see such good work happening in small places. I'm usually working on mine in the driveway.

Side note, have you taken any of your cats to the Dutchman flat area? Every time I go to Bachelor I always want to bring the cat and mess around in that area. Looks like it could be fun.
Hope to see you at the Timberline event if you don't make the Leavenworth one.

Thanks Bud,

Havent had a chance or a real need to go any farther than Mt.Hood/Willamette NF area... I usually play around Elk Lake (near Detroit) and Olallie Lake area... Thats been sufficient as far as snowpack and just overall "playing around"

Still hoping for Leavenworth, and it would be impossible not to attend Timberline... just too darn close of a drive...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
pictures are coming... just havent gotten to upload them to my PicasaWeb album.

At this point, as of today

Front cab & extenda-cab (rear) section are done, skinned and even got to paint the inside today. Overall pretty happy with the result of the aluminum top being as light as it came out to be at this point.

Hoping to get the glass guy next week to install, once the hardware arrives from CRL. Figured out the sliding window hardware, so door glass will get that option as well.

Welded the seams where skins meet at the exterior edge (went with 16ga skin thickness), thus having an aluminum frame & skin - was able to sand the edges & weld the seams up nicely... finish sanded them to nice round edge...

Came out SEXY as Vlad put it (who remembers him from last year's Leavenworth) :)

Stay tuned, more info to come...

Manlig

Good work! Im amazed how your alu welding is going with the spoolgun! Are you pree heating the parts before you weld them? Looking forward to se how you will make the sliding windows,thats something i would like to add to my bombi.

That is very exciting!! I feel like you are teasing me though!! I need to see the pictures ha I just keep checking back to see if they are up yet

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good work! Im amazed how your alu welding is going with the spoolgun! Are you pree heating the parts before you weld them? Looking forward to se how you will make the sliding windows,thats something i would like to add to my bombi.

CRLaurence been the place to get the stuff, waiting for them to approve our online account.

Already know which ones I'll need, glass guy dropped by, glass is on order.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is very exciting!! I feel like you are teasing me though!! I need to see the pictures ha I just keep checking back to see if they are up yet

I'll get there, I promise... Might be after this weekend thou - so no rush on checking back... LOL

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So... lets get some pictures on this thread...

Just in time for the Jamboree (sorry I couldnt make it in time fellas, hopefully we'll see most of you at the one on Mt.Hood's Timberline).

this is where I'm right now...

leftover stuff to do:

Glass install
Finish wiring
Finish insulation/inside panels
Lights/Wipers
Tracks
Grill
Exhaust

More or less, its the fun stuff to finish up, almost at finish line.

2015-01-20%2520001.JPG

2015-01-20%2520002.JPG

2015-01-20%2520003.JPG

2015-01-20%2520004.JPG

2015-01-20%2520005.JPG

2015-01-20%2520006.JPG

2015-01-20%2520007.JPG

I was surprised to find out that there was never a skid plate in the mid section, right before rearend.

2015-01-20%2520013.JPG

2015-01-20%2520014.JPG

2015-01-20%2520%25282%2529.jpg

2015-01-20%2520%25286%2529.jpg

So, we'll see how it goes from here, I'm hoping to have it out on the first test run in about 2 weeks. Paint had slowed me down, since its been not exactly warm & dry, along with window seals on order.

Cheers...

Nikson that thing is looking awesome!! really impressive how far you have come!! How did you like that herculiner? I need to paint bottom of the sprite with some form of bedliner... Cant wait to see it come together!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
huculiner is cheep I would however recommend the 2 part stuff brad uses it's much more durable .I use hucuraliner up here it's what is available if I had my way I would use the 2 part product.

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Totally impressed with quality and speed of your work! You must have a secret crew helping! Can't wait to see more.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Totally impressed with quality and speed of your work! You must have a secret crew helping! Can't wait to see more.

A secret crew and a large warm shop... oh and I'm a millionaire that got nothing more fun to do than to restore snowcats... :)

If only... :) :) :)

No, just really like the machine and really LOVE snow, of which we havent had enough this year as you probably know as well.

p.s. my problem is that if I dont do something right away, i get bored with it, and might never finish it... thus I better get it done so to speak! :)

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
are you going to be at the jamboree?
we enjoyed your company last year.
jim

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
are you going to be at the jamboree?
we enjoyed your company last year.
jim

Thanks Jim,

I enjoyed everyone's company as well, but this year I have to pass, as I'm trying to wrap up this project. Hoping to get it done and tested prior to the Mt.Hood event, guessing lots of folks are going to come that way as well.

Nikson

Could you tell me what part number you used for quadco shifter? I would like to order one for my C4 conversion. Also could you tell me where you ordered yours from?

Thanks

Also anxiously awaiting more photos!!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson

Could you tell me what part number you used for quadco shifter? I would like to order one for my C4 conversion. Also could you tell me where you ordered yours from?

Thanks

I'll have to look up on the receipt...

Called a company that resells their product in California, they had it at my door in 72hrs pretty much, real good guys.

I bought the handle from them along with the rubber boot itself, but have found that its a bad idea to use the same boot, since that thing gets badly pinched when in park, thus is the main reason for it getting ripped on most of these machines.

They do offer a "slot" type rubber cover for the shifter to slide within, thus I believe it would be a better option.

I'll keep all this on the record and in the blog.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson

Thanks

Anthony,

so this is what I've got on the receipt for them

Control Cables, Inc.
Santa Fe Springs, CA
562-949-0455

I spoke with Kyle.

Boot part number is DZ678-1 (Quadco Top Boot T7000)

T7000 i believe was the actual shifter assembly's part number or model number.

As i've mentioned earlier - see if you can get them to send you the slotted version of the cover, vs the actual boot, since it will ware out and rip as the old one did.

I'm planning to get them to send me the slot version as well.

Regards,

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter