• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrack restauration project

louis

snowtrac GM ECOTEC 2.4 engine
INSANE POWER
..[ame="http:://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nN-KMVKOlQ"]http:://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nN-KMVKOlQ[/ame]

jask

très bien!!

That looks great Louis congratulations. I have a few questions for you- did you retain the OBD2 when you made your engine harness? is the exhaust header homebuilt or a commercial product? is there a reason you chose the AFI adapter kit over the Kennedy product? have you measured the temp drop in the cooling system return line? do you have any pics of your cabin heater/ defrost system?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that thing is revving so high it sounds like it's going to explode. It does however look to be getting with the program. next question is when is he going to set up a krusty with one of those engines.

louis

ECOTEC 2.4 SOME ANSWERS
. JASK
..-i keep the OBD2 for hight speed "GMLAN" communication with the ECM
( engine control module )
..-the exhaust header from soloperfornance.com used on SOLTICE/SKY sport car
..-i find bad comments over KENNEDY product in the internet

DON
..in the video i was revving at 4500 RPM
the ECOTEC is safe to 6500 RPM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sno-Surfer

Holy smokes that thing goes fast!! I'd be afraid of mine falling apart at those speeds! This is good to see one going so fast when everything is dialed in. Very inspiring work you're doing.:wow:

louis

CAB HEATER
from " princessauto.com " auxilary heater # 4240028
24700 BTU 17" X 8"
VERY HOT !!!

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 786

akimp

I took the max speed with a GPS on mine and it does 13 mph. It was converted to a vw 8v liquid cooled motor and the RPMS maybe less. Holy cow this one would be able to pass me in second gear. I love speed good job.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you have to remember Louis also has custom speed sprockets. mine can achieve 22 mph at 5 k at 4500 I can do 20 and at 4 k I can cruise at 18 mph. the big difference in louises engine his max rpm is 6 k and the longer stroke of his inline 4 will generate more torque.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
At what point in KW/HP will the VW transmission / variator give up? Is there any research on that?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
dune buggy and race guys put 300 hp plus into the little bug trannys . again with the snow trac one has to be aware that it's going to hook up a lot better than a dune buggy. I would say 150 hp is on the high side of idiot proof Lyndon recommends 100 hp in a snow trac application, which is the target I try to use.

louis

HI GUYS
I AM STILL DOING SOME FINE TUNING ON THE SNOWTRAC ECOTEC CONVERSION
CONCERNING THE TOP SPEED;
IN THE VIDEO I WAS REVVING AT 4500 RPM IN 3th GEAR
AND DONT FORGET I STILL HAVE THE 4th GEAR !!!!!!!!!!
THE GM ECOTEC ENGINE IS SAFE UP TO 6500 RPM AND THE ECM (COMPUTER) RPM CUT OFF IS SET AT 7000 RPM
IN 4th GEAR AT 6500 RPM I WILL REACH A PEAK OF 48 TO 50 MPH

I WILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE

LOUIS

Sno-Surfer

Wow, that is just amazing. I'm sure the engine and transmission can handle it but I do wonder about the variator, track, axles and sprockets? I'm sure at these speeds alignment and track tension play a much bigger role.
That thing is beautiful. The paint looks amazing, the whole thing is amazing.
I'm really looking forward to watching how this all goes.
I come from more of a vw background and generally like to keep things stock, but the snow trac really lends itself to experimentation with the engines etc.

How about the suspension, just stock?

On mine I had to get longer front springs made for the front large wheels so I would have more clearance between the large front wheel and the drive sprockets. Mine is a two band model with the large front wheel.
It worked and it also gives it a little front end "lift". Maybe just an inch or so. I don't see any downsides to it and it made me think about suspension. Not really needed on a stock unit but something like this might benefit with a bit more travel.

Even if my engine could go that fast I imagine the rest of my snow trac would explode over 20mph! :w00t2:
When does balancing the track come into play? (Can you even do that?)

Keep up the great work, that thing is awesome.

jask

I was thinking the axle tubes were in trouble with a 30MPH machine!! I tried to do a load calculation on the belts but the tables I found only cover up to 8 Meters per second... 50 MPH would put them up around 22 Meters per second, or 73 feet per second.. try to imagine those tracks spinning all those grousers at 3 times a second!!! that is some serious kinetic energy.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking the axle tubes were in trouble with a 30MPH machine!! I tried to do a load calculation on the belts but the tables I found only cover up to 8 Meters per second... 50 MPH would put them up around 22 Meters per second, or 73 feet per second.. try to imagine those tracks spinning all those grousers at 3 times a second!!! that is some serious kinetic energy.

Exactly! One little thing snaps at that speed and there's going to be some real damage done real quick!:doh::shitHitFan:

louis

SNOWTRAC ECOTEC 2.4 LOW SPEED
.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xY89AsOsr4"]snowtrac ecotec 4 - YouTube[/ame]

louis

GM ECOTEC 2.4 ENGINE SWAP

Ive been getting a few people asking me for more info on the ecotec engine swap. So I wrote this little faq sheet up for everyone

t's time to move on from that tired air-cooled VW motor! No longer are the days of expensive and complicated fuel injection motor systems! OEM reliable fuel injection systems are in REACH. Did you know that GM built over 4 million 2.4L LE5 Ecotec's from 2006 to 2009? That's right - over 4 MILLION.

The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in)—version of the Ecotec. Both the 88 mm (3.5 in) bore and 98 mm (3.9 in) stroke are larger, and Variable Valve Timing [VVT] on the intake and exhaust improve low-end torque. Compression is 10.4:1. Power is 164-177 hp (123-132 kW) and torque is 159-170 lb•ft (215-230 N•m). The engine uses a reinforced "Gen II" block. The LE5 is a true 175 HP out-of-the-box solution.
* The 2.4L LE5 offers more displacement
* The 2.4L LE5 supports VVT
* The 2.4L LE5 supports Electronic Throttle Body
* The 2.4L LE5 uses the 'reinforced' GM GEN II block [the same block as the LSJ/LNF]
* The early production [2006-2007] 2.4L LE5's are BOOST READY w/ forged pistons, rods, & crankshafts
* The 2.4L LE5 has targeted oil jets to cool pistons
* The 2.4L LE5 has a higher flowing intake manifold [than the L61]
* The 2.4L LE5 uses 58X crankshaft position sensing
* The 2.4L LE5 uses digital crankshaft & camshaft position sensors
* The 2.4L LE5 uses an individual coil on plug ignition system
* The 2.4L LE5 uses the vastly superior 32-bit E67 ECM

The engine. The one in my snowtrac I found out of a 2008 SATURN AURA with only 12,000 miles with the wiring harness and ECM for $600

The wiring harness and ECM you have a few options. "Turnkey" $1100, These come with fan relays and have a few wires all labeled to where to plug in and fire up the engine. Also they have there own tune which gives you around 170 hp.

I used the stock harness and ECM from the 2008 SATURN AURA. I custom made the harness with fan relays ,fuel pump relay, ignition relays , and also flashed the ECM ( to remove the anti theft ) so it would work in my snowtrac. I also set my fan temp to 206 deg. and the rev limiter to 7000 rpm. It cost me $495 for the HP TUNER program to unlocks the ECM and convert the ECM to stand-alone configuration . Now I have the 175 hp since Im running a custom tune. But its really make that difference.

The adapter plate I bought from ALPHAFAB industries. I got the adapter plate to fit the vw transmission and it comes with the flywheel and I also order the stage 2 clutch and pressure plate from CIP1.COM . The pressure plate is very strong.
The exhaust ; I use a header manifold for SOLTICE / SKY from SOLO-PERFORMANCE with WALKER 51025 exhaust flexible and fabed up the rest from there.
I bought a walbro GSL-392 “255 lpg” EFI fuel pump with a WIX 33737 in-line fuel filter and regulator used for " 1999 corvette " which worked great . So now i have a return less fuel system.

My front engine mounts I made with 2 MG B transmission mount right off the original mounting place , Thats the only engine mount I use and it works great with no problems.

The cooling system i use a GRIFFIN radiator #1-25271-X CLASSIC COOL , 2 electric slim fan BXCC - 00002 and 4 gallons MIX/PRESTONE

The hight torque starter # ACC-C10-5767 from CIP1.COM

A new 110 AMP. ALTERNATOR need a sorter belts NAPA # 050345

MORE TO FOLLOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

louis

WHY I CHOSE CHEVY ECOTEC 2.4 ENGINE FOR MY SNOWTRAC:
-GM parts availability
- New high performance up to date engine design ( double overhead camshaft, 16 valves cylinder head, variable valve timing, direct injection to boost fuel efficiency ,forged steel connecting rods, oil spray cooling)
- Very low engine noise (no VW air cooling fan)
- Lots of cabin heat
- 110 AMP. High power alternator
- Very high quality GM electrical connector on wiring harness
- Electronic throttle pedal
- Disponibility of different suppliers for Standalone ECM ( computer )
- Easy cool weather start
- Very light all aluminium design (almost the same weight of a VW engine)
- No modifications to engine ( excellent fit in Snowtrack )
- Very light modifications to Snowtrack body; only mod. on hood
- Good fuel consumption ( way better than high power VW )
- High reving engine , safe up to 6500 RPM ( good for snow track )
- The exhaust is on the right side for use in the Snowtrack
- Highly popular choice for engine swap by the VW buggy community
- Excellent feedback in different forums by Ecotec engine buggy owners; ex: “if you try a Ecotec engine, you will never come back to a VW engine”
- So much power and torque ; it is unbelievable ; an excellent choice for Snowtrack use
I am still in performance testing program and I am amazed with the horsepower and the torque availability of the Ecotec engine!

MORE TO FOLLOW !!!!!!!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to belittle the excellent craftsmanship that went in to your conversion, but you will never sell me on electronics and bells and whistles like the ecccotech. when I'm in the back country I like simplicity I do regular oil changes and maintenance and little red always gets me home if things happen I can fix it with basic tools in the back country. where I live that is important to me if I lived in a more urban part of the world what you have done might make more since. I have a strong back ground in the electronic engines. and in the petrol engines it has worked out nice but in the diesel world it hasn't proved real reliable yet. there are a lot of class action suits over down time on the new electronic diesels.

SnowtracUSA

Don, I thought that the 2.4 ecotech engine was gas ? what are you trying to say about Diesels ? thanks

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 652

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
what I'm, saying the technology for the gas motors have got pretty reliable. remember gm was experimenting with efi all the way back to the late 60's before ,they fielded the first tbi 400 systems in the mid 80's. diesel efi first hit the market in the 90's with ddac ,the series 60 and electronic 2 strokes ddac was pretty reliable. with the introduction of low emission high pressure diesel injection systems, seeing injection pressures as high as 35k to 45k and multiple injection sequences I'm finding these systems not as reliable in the long term, even though you are able to squeeze a lot of hp out of them.

SnowtracUSA

So you are saying that in theory a 1.9 VW turbo Diesel with MECHANICAL INJECTION IN A SNOWTRAC WOULD BE MORE DESIREABLE than a 2.4 ecotech with all the fuel injection and mafs system ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
nope, I would how ever prefer a 1.9 tdi with a ve pump conversion, but in compairing the air cooled to the ecco tech there are some things to consider. with minimal tools you can make field repairs to the aircooled engine ,and with about any non computer engine you can just about diagnose and in most cases repair it in the field usually with what you have. the reliability factor on modern gas engines is pretty darned good they even have limp home modes . with out the software or the expensive electronic tools you could be dead in the water trying to fix something a long way from home or as we are in the bush a repair facility. usually it isn't a problem I have in the past needed a oscilloscope to troubleshoot sensors on these modern engines, just another example of in my mind an expensive un necessary piece of equipment. one has to make a choice, do a little extra preventative maintenance or pay the price when necessary to tool up, or pay some one who has the tools to do the repair if it becomes necessary
in most cases folks don't get regular tune ups and maintenance there for the newer engine makes more since to them . looking at louis's project I believe he has skills and the equipment to deal with any thing he may run in to. I do to also I just prefer a simpler way of life after a day of dealing with electronic vehicles. I also believe for the do it yourselfer that most of us are the simplicity of the aircooled engine is the preferred way to go even though the performance of the eccotech machine is damnd impressive.

Two Track Mind

Ditto!! I am a heavy equipment mechanic and the newer computer controlled stuff can be very fidgety over small problems.Most self diagnostic systems don't steer you in the right direction if they work at all. Very nice all systems up and running ,not dependable in the brush.That's why I like vintage motorsports and sailing ,simple and dependable. My .02.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was told carry a laptop in my pistenbully to plug in and reset/adjust stuff. it has a 1.9 vw diesel tdi
it doesn't do much good for me if you don't know how to use it.

louis

SNOWTRAC ECOTEC with snow drag

At the beginning of the video in 3 th gear 900 RPM down the slope

The second part of the video still in 3th gear , 1800 RPM up the slope and power/torque to spare

Last year with the VW engine in the same condition, I had to be in 2th gear to go up the slope

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7XtSNBmrc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7XtSNBmrc[/ame]