• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

High School Fencing ~ a lesson in humility

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We took our brand new fencing club from the local high school to a very large midwest fencing tournament yesterday.

The Culver Fencing tournament, at the Culver Military Academy, is probably the hardest event for high school fencers in the midwest, other than the junior olympic trials. Schools and fencing clubs from all over the midwest come to the event and it had some of the finest fencing I've seen in quite a while on display.

Then there was the Lowell Red Devils team. We didn't do so well.

I think I mentally prepared the kids for this event, it is just not where they should have been fencing, but it is a great event to experience even if you get slaughtered, eviseratetd and vivisected on the strip. And they did. We had a couple highlights. Jodie, my freshman girl saber fencer was in her direct elimination round, came back from behind, still lost the bout, but the final score was 14-15. She did great, and she was fencing a much more experienced fencer so there was no shame in that loss.

Some of my saber boys took home "victories" in the fact that they didn't get ''shut out" with '0' scores. The boys fencing at this event is astounding. I felt badly for one of my saber boys, Forest, as he faced one of the top competitors in the tournament and lost 1-15. It was good that he got the 1. In fact I think that surprised everyone who watched. The guy who bent, spindled and mutilated him went on to take an award at the end, not sure if he finished 1st or 2nd place as we didn't stay to watch the awards at the end, but that kid would have easily beaten my coach, who taught me. So Forest had no chance against him.

Of my other 3 boy Saber fencers, Max, Alex and Cameron, all faired a bit better. Alex was in the toughest pool of the event and considered any score to be a victory. He had fun, probably learned some things. Max and Cameron both were pummeled too, but both here happy with their little victories when they scored a touch against a superior opponent.

The Lowell Foil fencers didn't really fare any better. One of our girls, Bailey, made it up to the second round of the direct elimination bouts. Two others, faced each other in the first round, so we had 1 of our girls defeat another and knock her out. Oh well.

On the bright side, one of our club fencers from the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club in St John took home a 3rd place medal from the event. :clap:

Charlie is a senior at a high school a couple towns north of Lowell, he is sort of adopted by our team as he has helped our saber fencers many times, and probably the best fencer at the local fencing club. It was great to see him take home a medal from such a tough event with so many other very accomplished competitors.

Photo below is Charlie taking the 3rd place spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 143

baldy347

Thanks for being a leader for these kids! my eyesight no longer can follow the "action" ,but i appreciate the skill and coordination required. Wish the entire team well.

wayne

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I am trying. I'm one of 3 coaches. All 3 of us are volunteers. The other 2 are teachers at the school (one of those is my wife).

We are the only club or sport at the school where the teachers don't receive any sort of stipend for showing up. So it truly is a full volunteer staff, and we get ZERO $ funding from the school. My wife and I are actually out some start up money that will probably take another season or two of fund raising to get back. Its clearly a challenge for us, and honestly a lot of fun too. But it makes for some very long days and quite a bit of frustration.

Saturday one of our boys broke a blade in half. It happens. About 1 broken blade per year per fencer is pretty normal. No big deal at any other school, but we literally don't have the $25 that it will take to replace that broken blade. My work bench is littered with other weapons that are broken too that we don't have funds to fix. So we have our challenges!

One of the farm fencing companies just outside of town is sponsoring our team with a $500 donation (a big help!) and that has been a blessing. We are the only sport fencing team I know of that is sponsored by a farm fencing company!

But we've also got some very supportive parents that are volunteering time and working on fund raising so we don't have to. And the kids are getting permission from the school for fund raising inside the building.

And this coming weekend is a JUNIOR VARSITY tournament and our kids should do pretty well at that event. We have a couple kids, who, if they are on their game that day, could bring home a medal. Most of the others will get knocked out earlier in the elimination rounds, but will have been competitive during the event, winning some of their bouts and hopefully learning some new skills. The downside is the JV tournament is 2.5 long hours away in an uncomfortable school bus . . . with seats my body is not made to use!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I rowed crew against Culver military academy decades ago. It was always an overnight event since we traveled 6 or so hours to get there. Had a ball using the gymnasium and all the athletic facilities there. What a kool place to visit.

Good luck to your team in the upcoming event and good luck to you on the school bus ride.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Congrats to your team! Thank YOU for taking the time to become a part of their lives! Closest I ever came to fencing was with wooden slats from my mom's picket fence with my brother! Dang,,,,, THAT HURT!! Courage isn't being fearless, it is facing one's fears and going forward. No matter the "odds" or obstacles, your team showed great courage! Thanks again for helping them learn that!
God bless,
Tony

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Tony!

We have another tournament this weekend, its up in Woodstock, IL about an hour northwest of Chicago. This weekend is the Junior Varsity Championships. I'm not sure if we will get a medal this weekend, but we have a couple kids who are capable of winning medals at this level of fencing. . . if they have a good day.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WE WON A FREAKIN MEDAL :clap:

One of our Lowell High School kids who fences Foil took 2nd Place in the men's division for Foil :wow:

He is technically not one of 'my' fencers, because I coach "Saber" fencing and he fences "Foil" fencing. 2 totally different blades, different styles, but he's one of 'my' kids as he's on the new team. I helped him get started and have been working with him on his weapon, and I customized some weapons just for him. But I don't train him.

I had 3 of my 6 "saber" fencers at the tournament yesterday. My 2 best boys were off sick and could not compete, one of my girls was off sick. So I had my two lowest ranking boys and 1 girl competing yesterday. Given each of their abilities they did very well for themselves, but none worked their way up into the top 16 competitors. That's OK with me. Each of them learned a few things at the competition, about themselves and about fencing.

One of my boys, who tends to do well in bouts at the school against people he knows, but badly in competition against strangers, lost his Direct Elimination battle but had the longest 'come back' streak of consecutive touches in a bout that I have ever seen at that level of fencing. He was behind something like 11 to 3 in a match that goes to 15. He scored 7 touches in a row against his competitor before losing the bout. Talk about cheering on the sidelines for an underdog:biggrin:

. . . . . .

I also work with the Marian Catholic High School team and they brought home 4 or 5 medals. One of those was a 2nd Place in Girls Saber.

Megan, the girl who took home that medal is one of the kids I help coach. I'm assist at Marian, her head Saber coach is my friend Dale, and he coached my daughter. Megan fenced a year with my daughter and was considered to be one who might follow my daughter's path to multiple medals for the team. Guess we were right in our assessment. There were TEXT messages going back and forth between Megan at the tournament and Melen in college.

. . .

But damn it was a long freaking day. We left our house at 5:15am. Didn't get home until 11:45pm last night.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Congrats! Does the metal go to the "team" or to the individual? Do they get to keep it? Glad to see that all sports aren't handing out medals to everyone! That you still have to EARN them! Sometimes, long days are worth the effort!

God bless,
Tony

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Individual medal and the winner of the medal gets to keep it.

He earned in, its his, not the teams. As it should be.