• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Will Obama show up for the Presidential Debate?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting question? Well I can't take credit for it, it is the headline of the following article. Given that Obama is now in the lead again in all the polls, he has the most to lose.

Which Obama will show up for presidential debates?
By CHRISTOPHER WILLS, Associated Press Writer
Sat Sep 20, 2:47 PM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920...a&printer=1;_ylt=AkAtkBaI9o4ZtKNwU35iG95h24cA

Which Barack Obama will show up for the first presidential debate?

It could be the tone-deaf debater who condescendingly told Hillary Rodham Clinton during a Democratic debate that she was "likable enough."

Or perhaps the confident candidate who absorbed a jab from Clinton about using her husband's former advisers and responded with a devastating one-liner of his own: "Hillary, I'm looking forward to you advising me as well."

For a man known as a powerful speaker, Obama has rarely wowed people in political debates. He can come across as lifeless, aloof and windy.

But Obama didn't make any serious mistakes in the many debates during the Democratic primary, or when he was running for the U.S. Senate in Illinois. He sometimes showed flashes of wit and charm. And, with a couple of exceptions, he got better with time.

"A year ago, he was not nearly as polished," said Timothy O'Donnell, a professor at the University of Mary Washington and chairman of the collegiate National Debate Tournament. "He equivocates less. He's quicker with examples."

O'Donnell says staying on offense will be key if Obama wants to shape the discussion and reach undecided voters.

The Illinois senator failed to do that in what is often mentioned as his worst performance in a major debate, an April 16 confrontation with Clinton in Philadelphia.

With Obama on the verge of wrapping up the nomination, the moderators focused on his potential weaknesses, asking questions about Obama's former minister, his policy on flag lapel pins and his comments about rural people clinging to guns and religion.

Obama seemed deflated by the questioning and failed to steer the debate toward his theme of change. His performance did little to reassure nervous supporters.

In another debate, Obama was asked how he'd respond militarily if terrorists attacked two American cities simultaneously. Rather than display any passion, Obama discussed emergency response procedures and intelligence-gathering.

A flat performance is one thing; the big worry is a single thoughtless remark that sticks in voters' minds. Obama still catches flak for a few remarks from the primary debates.

In last year's YouTube debate, Obama said he would be willing to meet the leaders of nations such as Cuba, Iran and North Korea without preconditions.

His Democratic rivals pounced, calling the stance naive and dangerous. Obama adviser David Axelrod insisted Obama was talking only about midlevel diplomatic discussions, not summit meetings involving the president.

But Obama decided to stand by his statement, using it to draw a distinction between himself and candidates with more conventional approaches to diplomacy. Opponents have used it ever since to argue that Obama would be soft in dealing with dangerous nations.

Another memorable moment came just before the New Hampshire primary, when Clinton was being quizzed about whether voters liked her less than Obama. She deflected the question by joking that her feelings were hurt and admitting that Obama was very likable.

Barely looking up from his notes, Obama broke in to say, "You're likable enough, Hillary. No doubt about it." It may have been a dry attempt at humor, but it fell flat.

Obama has used humor effectively in other debates.

When asked how he felt about Bill Clinton being described as the first African-American president, Obama gave a serious answer about civil rights and overcoming racism. Then he added, "I have to say that, you know, I would have to investigate more of Bill's dancing abilities and some of this other stuff before I accurately judged whether he was, in fact, a brother."

The audience roared.

O'Donnell said Obama has displayed "small glimpses" of the ability to steer a damaging debate toward a more favorable tone and message. In one debate, he took a question about declaring English the country's official language and turned it into a discussion about dividing Americans rather than bringing them together.

Obama also can cut his opponents with a single icy remark.

In 2004, Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes suggested Obama couldn't follow his rival's logic on a convoluted point about gay rights.

"Your logic wasn't that complicated," Obama shot back. "It was just wrong."​

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
take away his teleprompter and he is speechless. He can not function without it. I have heard a couple of his attempts without it and he sounds like an advertisement for speech therapy. He is lacking in experience and has no clue as to what he is talking about without prompts. What a joke. He doesnt have enough time in grade to even be a manager at McDonalds. Have a goodun!!!!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Howdy,
take away his teleprompter and he is speechless. He can not function without it. I have heard a couple of his attempts without it and he sounds like an advertisement for speech therapy. He is lacking in experience and has no clue as to what he is talking about without prompts. What a joke. He doesnt have enough time in grade to even be a manager at McDonalds. Have a goodun!!!!

That is why he doesn't want to do a "Town Style" debate with McCain, he wouldn't know the questions before they were asked. I would assume that this debate, they will have the questions before hand and he will have the answers to them before the show starts...

Maybe his teleprompter will break like Palin's did..... She did just fine, nobody even knew there was a problem until after that speach was over.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
I agree with you there Ross.
Something about his speaking is rather odd, it sounds hesitant.
His voice flows down at the end of each sentence.
Sounds way too rehearsed.
It's going to be interesting to hear him debate John McCain.
I expect we're going to hear a lot of McCain's words delightfully flowing, while Obama's words will be carefully selected in order to please his supporters,peppered with a lot of Kennedy-esque-Democrat type of Uhhh's and whatever else he can think to throw in there.
I also expect there to be a few "race" related goodies thrown in for good measure.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Something about his speaking is rather odd, it sounds hesitant.
His voice flows down at the end of each sentence.

Its similar to black folks in Chicago trying to sound more white. Im not kidding.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Its similar to black folks in Chicago trying to sound more white. Im not kidding.
No, it's not quite that Sushi.
I can't put my finger on what it is about the way he speaks.
It's like he's trying to make a strong point, then his voice slows down at the end of a sentence like he's come to some sort of resolve, if that makes sense.:mellow: does it?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It's like he's trying to make a strong point, then his voice slows down at the end of a sentence like he's come to some sort of resolve, if that makes sense.:mellow: does it?

It sure DOES! It sounds like a black person from Chicago trying to speak properly. :poke: