• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tried a Go Foods sample today

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now this stuff is basically the same as Wise Foods in that most of the entries, breakfasts etc have a shelf life of 25 years. The meats, vegetables and fruits about 15 years.

So I figured I have about a years supply for 2 adults from Wise I decided to give the competition a go, being Go Foods. Now go also has drinks mixes as well as energy shooters which the sample pack also came with. The Wise is good tasting by the way and much better than the usual MRE in taste.

Now I tried one of the 3 food packs that came in the sample pack the Potato Chowder Soap. In all honesty it was a good as many brands of Clam Chowder I've eaten over the years. It was really good and I rate both Go and Wise as equal in taste. The selections are however somewhat different. Now my single rule about tasting these things is as it comes out of the bag and prepared following the instructions. No add ins at all but as their designers made it. It past my rather strong feelings about food quality too.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the review Joe.

I'll throw Mountain House in there at the same quality as well. Just avoid their Egg's with Bacon as it's pretty bad due to heavy smokey taste.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
So if you could only hvae one, which one woud you buy Joe?

Actually the quality is about the same. The sample pack I got from Wise didn't cost me anything other than waiting for a phone call to see if you are serious before they ship it to you. Go charged $10 for it and email you constantly (not a big deal for me at all).

I already have enough Wise for 2 adults, 2 meals a day for 6 months plus vegetables, fruits, and meats to kick up the entries which don't have meat. I'm considering about the same to take it up to a year.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the review Joe.

I'll throw Mountain House in there at the same quality as well. Just avoid their Egg's with Bacon as it's pretty bad due to heavy smokey taste.

I hadn't come across Mountain House but will keep that in mind. I always had a problem though with powder or container eggs. Bacon unless it is fresh I not sure I would go for it as I like is crisp.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen that particular brand but in about a month or so I'll be sending in an order for a couple of Wise buckets. I have a couple of 3-day packs but I've never tried any of them. It's good to know that they are actually edible.

I didn't realize that the Wise entrees didn't contain meat? Is that just some entrees or all entrees? I'll see if I can confirm that and then probably do what you did, get some of their meat and veg to bolster the meals a little.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen that particular brand but in about a month or so I'll be sending in an order for a couple of Wise buckets. I have a couple of 3-day packs but I've never tried any of them. It's good to know that they are actually edible.

I didn't realize that the Wise entrees didn't contain meat? Is that just some entrees or all entrees? I'll see if I can confirm that and then probably do what you did, get some of their meat and veg to bolster the meals a little.

None I've seen have meat in them. The entrees, soups etc last 25 years while the meats are 15 years.

Yes the Wise are pretty good and better than any TV dinner I've ever eaten. You really don't notice the lack of meat as it sure has the flavor of it in the dishes. Who ever put these together gave taste and texture a great deal of thought. Just be careful though and read the preparation instructions as they aren't all the same as to cooking time and temps.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've discovered a few differences between the Go Foods and Wise Foods. Go takes boiling and longer than Wise. Wise can be boiled also but quicker cooking time at lower heats. Wise can also be simply put in the correct amount of cold water and will reconstitute fine as cooking just need more time (about double over cooking). Taste wise however they are the same. I actually order another 240 serving box today of the entree/breakfast combination as well as 60 serving of meat, 120 each of vegetables and fruits. That brings me up to a full year for 2 people if needed or 6 months for 4 adults 2 meals a day.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that is prepping Joe! I have a case of MRE's downstairs and there is always enough grub around here to last a long time. With the steers and the greenhouses we can do pretty well for a long time. I need to get a few more fuel cans and put some gasoline aside with stabil and Seafoam and leave it sit. Right now I have 5 cans that I rotate as I use it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here you go Joe. Get yourself one of these.:yum:

Attachments

• prepper nome.jpg
    prepper nome.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 182

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now that is prepping Joe! I have a case of MRE's downstairs and there is always enough grub around here to last a long time. With the steers and the greenhouses we can do pretty well for a long time. I need to get a few more fuel cans and put some gasoline aside with stabil and Seafoam and leave it sit. Right now I have 5 cans that I rotate as I use it.

I live in a city right now surrounded by concrete and metal buildings. The only wild life here are coons, possum, feral cats, occational stray dog and birds. Garden I have going. Until I actually retire (hopefully next year) at which time we are not looking for small farms here and in Tennessee also near my BIL place.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Rest assured, retired and small farm should not be used in the same sentence! But the privacy and quiet are worth the work.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Now this stuff is basically the same as Wise Foods in that most of the entries, breakfasts etc have a shelf life of 25 years. The meats, vegetables and fruits about 15 years.

So I figured I have about a years supply for 2 adults from Wise I decided to give the competition a go, being Go Foods. Now go also has drinks mixes as well as energy shooters which the sample pack also came with. The Wise is good tasting by the way and much better than the usual MRE in taste.

Now I tried one of the 3 food packs that came in the sample pack the Potato Chowder Soap. In all honesty it was a good as many brands of Clam Chowder I've eaten over the years. It was really good and I rate both Go and Wise as equal in taste. The selections are however somewhat different. Now my single rule about tasting these things is as it comes out of the bag and prepared following the instructions. No add ins at all but as their designers made it. It past my rather strong feelings about food quality too.

I've been picking up the 84 serving buckets of Wise off and on for some time now. Those give one breakfast and two entrees for one adult for 28 days. I have never opened them and do not plan too except in an emergency so thanx for the taste test Joe. I picked and purchased Wise solely on the reviews that I read so that is great information.

Costco sells freeze dried as well. Packaged differently than Wise or Go Foods but I plan on picking up their meat only package. Priced good and would be a good addition to the Wise larder.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been picking up the 84 serving buckets of Wise off and on for some time now. Those give one breakfast and two entrees for one adult for 28 days. I have never opened them and do not plan too except in an emergency so thanx for the taste test Joe. I picked and purchased Wise solely on the reviews that I read so that is great information.

Costco sells freeze dried as well. Packaged differently than Wise or Go Foods but I plan on picking up their meat only package. Priced good and would be a good addition to the Wise larder.

I actually got sample packs for 4 of them before I committed to buy anything at all. I've sure eaten MRE and they are tolerable in a pinch but wouldn't want to live on them more than a day or two.

Go Foods I can get locally as well as Wise. Whole Foods and Good Foods here sell the Go Foods while Bud's sells the Wise. When I ordered the sample for Wise (no cost) they sent a price list and contacted me about a week after I got it and had a chance to try it. They gave me prices and free shipping which even Bud's couldn't match. I also got a lot more selection through them as far 240 servings up on the main meals. Buds carries smaller amounts and not meats, vegetable or fruit additions. As for taste both Wise and Go both where good tasting with enough variety to keep one happy for awhile.

I picked up a smaller amount from Go just to give me a few more selections is all as well as some of their drinks which Wise doesn't have. I got the 72 hour pack which contains:

44 total servings of Chicken Cheddar Rice, Southwestern Tortilla Soup, Potato Cheddar Soup, Sweet Corn Chowder, Whey Good Milk, Tropical Fruit Medley, Seasoned Mashed Potatoes, and Natural Oatmeal with flavor packets. One canvas back pack, one box of InstaFire (single use 10-pack), one mini grill, one cooking pot, two masks, two cups, and eating utensils.

It cost me something like $60 with free shipping. I will use it hunting or traveling.