• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

wtb st4 steering wheel and directional sw

western auto

looking to buy original 3 spoke steering wheel and illuminated directional switch for snow trac st4 located in yuma az call/ text 928-919-0657 thanks

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i was told a forklift had the same. i don't know the make. linde forklift has the small wheels,

vintagebike

Should be able to find one of these easily...it has the same steering wheel. I found my signal switch on ebay.de

4621ED46-1914-470D-AB03-E849E796A94E.png

western auto

there are plenty of parted out snow tracs around .... not so many schwim/kubel im sure someone has a wheel, i am looking to replace my god awefull alex mclarty wheel with the early version

Last edited:

western auto

Should be able to find one of these easily...it has the same steering wheel. I found my signal switch on ebay.de

View attachment 127540
thought about pulling the wheel out of my barndoor 23 but i dont think white would suit my needs :smile:..... what was the original intended application for the directional sw , i searched porsche but found nothing , it looks very similar to a vw ambulance fan switch?

vintagebike

Find this on eBay from pb.sales in Macedonia. I will use this one and keep the original for the full restoration someday.

D424CCCA-5B62-4947-BD32-21FAD96D9EA0.jpg

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that spoke spacing would drive me nuts , i am only interested in original parts with correct markings , everything i own is unrestored/ with as many original/nos parts as possible

Do not forget the horn switch/button either, as I paid $100 for mine after several years of hunting.
Maybe that was to much, but after half heartily looking ( before I started using E bay ) I was more than happy to pay that amount. Heck I was sitting at my turning lathe getting ready to machine some brass stock and Delrin into my own version when a phone call to a friend into VW's lead me to a NOS one.

I now realize how nice it is to have a machine with original bits, as it has turn signals, correct switch's for headlamps with a blue light in the center... and an original German hour meter as well. I do not have the original tail lights how ever...

Regards, Kirk

western auto

Do not forget the horn switch/button either, as I paid $100 for mine after several years of hunting.
Maybe that was to much, but after half heartily looking ( before I started using E bay ) I was more than happy to pay that amount. Heck I was sitting at my turning lathe getting ready to machine some brass stock and Delrin into my own version when a phone call to a friend into VW's lead me to a NOS one.

I now realize how nice it is to have a machine with original bits, as it has turn signals, correct switch's for headlamps with a blue light in the center... and an original German hour meter as well. I do not have the original tail lights how ever...

Regards, Kirk
if your looking for split bug tailights those are not too hard to find just a bit expensive , i have a buddy in texas with quite a bit of nos split bug parts.... i completely agree nothing beats having all of the original german pieces working and intact

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if your looking for split bug tailights those are not too hard to find just a bit expensive , i have a buddy in texas with quite a bit of nos split bug parts.... i completely agree nothing beats having all of the original german pieces working and intact

A previous owner added baskets on the sides of my Cab... So I do not have a mounting point for the tail lights in the original location. At some point I will remove the baskets and replace the tubing racks that were originally there..

The Swedes had a hand in these as well as Hella is there along with the German stuff.. But I am sure you knew this as well.

Great little machines, that do rather well in use, and are pretty dependable as long as the owner stays on top of regular service..

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the snow trac steering wheels were surplus kubelwagon wheels if you want one I have extra I can snap some photos of the ones I have in parts rigs I have pm me a cell number and I will text the pics to you

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we had a couple of snowmasters when I was a kid that had a hella tail light assembly like the bv206 those were like 1976 models.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
you might want to keep the first one a solid. that position seems to eat tires on the st's. At one point it was a brass tire to make it damage resistant.

western auto

you might want to keep the first one a solid. that position seems to eat tires on the st's. At one point it was a brass tire to make it damage resistant.
i thought about that.... do you think it will make any difference on ride quality or noise/ vibration

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
hope some two band types reply, I have a big wheel version. But, no I don't think it will be measurable difference.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 3 spoke wheel was used in VW's into the early 50's. They can be found at VW meets.
The Snow Trac Horn Button was Unique, but the VW one fit in it's place. An outfit in California makes a reproduction.
The Two lens/two lamp Hella tail light was used in Europe on a wide variety of trucks, trailers, and early vehicles and can be found in Europe. It's use and production was over many years so lots were made. Both the Kubel and the schwimmwagon used them.
The Turn signal switch is Early VW Bus/Porsche. I see someone already found the replica's.
The 'Tear-drop' side indicators were somewhat unique to snow trac's. As they were a Hella product it is likely they were on some early German Trucks. I've never seen one on anything else.
The above list of vintage VW parts is what got the most attention when I started showing at VW meets in 1994. Well seasoned VW 'hippies' would spot all but the side markers.
The little knobs for the wing windows are also early VW, but enthusiasts never spotted them. Bill Derricks, the founder of the Vintage VW Warehouse had NOS ones. They were used on early VW Buses. When he sold the business he kept them! He, and another VW legend, Gene Burg, were good friends and started the NW Vintage VW Meet.
Westerasmaskiner bought up and used stuff that had been out of production by as much as 20 years.

Lyndon