• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

bought a surveillance cam

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm in the process of installing this. the same is at a tower and it stood up to lots of ice storms. so I figured it would be good on my barn.
https://sunbatech.com/product/601-d25x-poe/
R0010456.jpg

it is going to be a challenge because when I move it to my distant barn 300ft some good shielded cable will have to be laid.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How big of cable needs run? If it's not too big, and you don't need to go more than a few inches, I found an edger works well. That's what I used for the invisible fence for the dog and we laid 1000' in just a few hours.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if my field is ever reseeded and plowed to kill the grass a few inches wouldn't be good. but thanks for the advice.
my barn is surrounded by pasture with power and water run underground to it.
very high in the trees or a couple ft deep is what i'm thinking and my electric fence sometimes causes interference. a router and internet is one other way but I don't know much about that yet.
house is left in the distance and carport is only showing. picture taken from the barn.
R0010425.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It says it's power over ethernet capable.
You have power and water to your barn. Do you by chance have phone wires?
Myself, instead of old/actual phone wires when running phone to buildings, I use CAT-5 ethernet wire. Hoping you did the same or similar.
Don't know if you have animals in that pasture but if not, a few inches deep of CAT-5 wire may take care of everything. If you dig it up in the future, just lay new wire as it's cheap and easily installed at a couple inches deep.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
if I put rj45 wire in it will be 2ft or more deep. I have 25 heifers in the pasture now.
I only have power and water to the barn. no phone.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got some help and connected it up .the 25 power one reads 26 at full zoom. it is just on a post in my yard for bench testing. a small woodpecker at 17 power
bird.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm still learning on this thing. i added a recorder yesterday.
this is while i'm having my morning tea today looking out my window . 7 power and 26 power

eagle%20treecrop.jpg

right side halfway up.
eagletree.jpg

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i moved my cam to the barn roof yesterday .this is the corner of one field and just one heifer. i have many trees so the view is blocked. 1 power and runs up to 26power.
sunba%20field%20view.jpg