• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sarcasm Font

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We could use italics for sarcasm but do you think everyone would use it when being sarcastic or would some use it for other things besides sarcasm? Same with any font we might choose. It would be a good idea for everyone to make their sarcastic comments different from the rest of their post (different color, different font, bold or italics etc). But we do not have a very conformist community here, and that is a good thing in my book.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
More friggin rules?? Starting to sound like the government!:yum::yum: Non conformist is me!

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I try to avoid confusion by using modified computer code, as follows:

<sarcasm> = Begin sarcasm
</sarcasm> = End sarcasm

Seems to work!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Most sites use a sarcasm emoticon. A wink. Doc, can we get one?
This one?

rolleyes.gif

Called Roll Eyes
I borrow it from time to time from another site.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I am emoticon and body language challenged....... are you guys saying that roll-eyes is sarcasm ?? I thought it was "you've got to be kidding me" or "how dumb can I be?" While those are close to sarcasm, they're not the same.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Are we that stupid? Sarcasm should not be highlighted. If you don't get it, your bulb is just a bit low on wattage. The beauty of sarcasm is recognizing it and enjoying the verbal cartoon.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Are we that stupid? Sarcasm should not be highlighted. If you don't get it, your bulb is just a bit low on wattage. The beauty of sarcasm is recognizing it and enjoying the verbal cartoon.

Well maybe, maybe not. The funny thing was I was being sarcastic in my first post (I thought the ROFLAO emoticon would give that away) but more than one took me seriously. Including you apparently. :yum::yum:

I guess my verbal cartoons don't work so well with a keyboard. LOL!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
1. We need training I tell you.
2. Those who successfully complete the training qualify for tax breaks.
3. Said tax breaks will automatically be replaced in the general budget by an increased levy on Fred's boat fuel!:w00t2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I am emoticon and body language challenged....... are you guys saying that roll-eyes is sarcasm ?? I thought it was "you've got to be kidding me" or "how dumb can I be?" While those are close to sarcasm, they're not the same.

Same here :rolleyes: = Oh brother!.. lol
Someone used it once in a particularly funny post directed at someone right below that persons previous post, the timing was right.. funny as heck!

Kane

I'm with you here, waybomb. If they don't get it, they don't get it.

But. It seems everyone is concerned about trampling the tender feelings of the folks that aren't paying particular attention to the implementation of sarcasm as a debate tool. Then too many folks get all pissy and the thread is derailed.

So, in this age of unnecessary political correctness, it's just better to be safe than sorry. Avoid hurt feelings at the cost of frank literary debate.

:5boobs:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't kow about you guys but I spend a great deeal ofmy time doing business by E-mail. I cannot tell you how difficult thatis as compared to voice over the phone. There simply is no way to translate tone of voice. Sothesame words can invoke different meanings often dependant on the receiver of the message.

That God for the invention of Automatons. :clap:

Without them I could not get my messages across:unsure:

And even fewer ofyou would understand me.:yum:

:flowers: