Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum > THIOKOL/LMC/DMC Technical Issues Forum

THIOKOL/LMC/DMC Technical Issues Forum Technical repair issues & questions for Thiokol/DMC/LMC

Old 07-26-2020, 11:25 PM

zspryte is on a distinguished road
Default Valve adjustment for 170 cid engine

I've got a few questions about valves and their adjustment on a Spryte w/Ford 170 engine.

The engine has a little tapping noise at idle when warm. Above about 1000 RPM the tapping can no longer be heard - gone or drowned out. The tapping sounds like its coming form the top of the engine so I suspect the valves. All six spark plugs look the same, black and sooty, so no one cylinder stands out. How do you tell when the value clearance should be adjusted? How often should the clearance be checked?

The engine tag shows it was made in 1966. Various web sites say 1966 and later Ford 170's had hydraulic lifters. Does that sound right?

I found a web site that explains how to adjust the values (https://fordsix.com/archive/www.clas.../ValveAdj.html) - sounds easy enough. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Before I remove the valve cover and deal with the attached coolant hoses, I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for the help -
Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM

andyv916 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valve adjustment for 170 cid engine

Since no one else replied there are other things to check first mechanical and or electric fuel pumps can make that tapping sound also . have you checked idle rpm and timing yet . The 200 calls for a very low idle of 550 i have the same engine in my spryte and my mustang, the spryte i have set for 900 because of altitude and the mustang set at 750 i have it in Sacramento no altitude .I hope you get her running good .
Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,127 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valve adjustment for 170 cid engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspryte View Post
I've got a few questions about valves and their adjustment on a Spryte w/Ford 170 engine.

The engine has a little tapping noise at idle when warm. Above about 1000 RPM the tapping can no longer be heard - gone or drowned out. The tapping sounds like its coming form the top of the engine so I suspect the valves. All six spark plugs look the same, black and sooty, so no one cylinder stands out. How do you tell when the value clearance should be adjusted? How often should the clearance be checked?

The engine tag shows it was made in 1966. Various web sites say 1966 and later Ford 170's had hydraulic lifters. Does that sound right?

I found a web site that explains how to adjust the values (https://fordsix.com/archive/www.clas.../ValveAdj.html) - sounds easy enough. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Before I remove the valve cover and deal with the attached coolant hoses, I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for the help -
Would check the service manual for you're engine, but normally hydraulic lifters are set at 0 lash on the base circle then a little preload 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the adjuster nut. Personally I have the best luck running them at 0 lash. Solid lifters normally .008 to .010 lash on the intake and .012 -.018 on the exhaust. Check your manual for you're engine. Aluminum block push rod engines take a little less because the aluminum block grows more when it heats up than cast iron. While you are in there check the cam lobes on you're flat tappet engine for wear or galling, a cam lobe going flat will ruin the whole engine. When you change the oil I would use an additive for the flat tappet cam. If adjusting does not take care of the noise you may have a bad lifter. The link you posted pretty much sums it up. Its not difficult. One thing I do on things I don't have a lot of experience working on is take pictures as you go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (08-02-2020), zspryte (08-08-2020)