• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Troy Bilt Hedge Trimmer/Pole Saw/weed wacker?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I hope I didn't just blow $400 on junk, but . . .

I just purchased a Troy Bilt 4-Cycle straight shaft modular weed wacker system with a pole saw attachment and a hedge trimmer attachment.

My property is not very formal, most everything is very natural and free flowing in how we allow things to grow, perhaps rustic would be a decent descritption. But I still need to maintain some things.

I went to my local equipment center and looked at Echo and Stihl pole saws and extended reach hedge trimmers. Rough prices were $400 to $500. Now taking in mind that I don't use this stuff very often I had a hard time swollowing that type of expense for something that I will use maybe 1 day every year.

So I happened into Lowes at lunch to price out some granite counter tops for the lovely Mrs_B and as luck would have it, the kitchen planner was not there. So I wandered around and ended up in the power equipment area.

For $197 they had a 4 cycle Troy Built straight shaft weed wacker with a tool head unit that slips off and can be replaced with other tool heads. (They also had 2 other straight shaft models of Troy Built 2-Cycle units that were $124 and $149)
For $99 they had a pole saw attachment.
For another $99 they had an extended reach hedge trimmer.
They also had several other tool heads I had no interest in so I didn't price them.

Now I have no clue about the quality of Troy Bilt. I know it is a division of MTD, which has spotty quality. Before MTD bought Troy Bilt the brand was known for their high quality tillers, but over the past few years I've not heard the same good things. But I'm hoping that this thing is good enough for what I need and I won't regret it.

Does anyone know if I just screwed up? Anyone have any experience with these types of switch head tools? Ryobi, also known for moderate consumer grade yard tools, has a similar system (sold at Home Depot) for roughly the same price.

Are these types of things going to be good enough for modest duty, once or twice a year work or is it going to be an ongoing source of frustration and will I wish I spent twice the price for the Echo or Stihl brands?:confused:

Here is a link to what I purchased:
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_10142_18652_-1

Last edited:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Re: Troy Built Hedge Trimmer/Pole Saw/weed wacker?

Bob........I bought 2 reconditioned (not really, more like overstock) ryobi trimmers from harbor freight last fall. The interchangeable ones like you looked at at lowes with all the attachment capability. When they came in, they were branded as troy-built, not ryobi, but were identical to the ryobi units I ordered except for the color & decals. HF has the 4 cycle on sale now for $89, but later in the season, you'll probably see them at $79. I got the 2cycle straight shaft ones last fall for $69.99 each. They come with a warranty too. I use the string heads & also the blower attachment the most(kept me from buying a separate gas powered blower to maintain). & I also have the cultivator attachment too although they suck in our clay like soil.If you hav'nt used the one you bought yet, check out the HF website. About all attachment brands I have seen at the box stores will interchange too. I picked up a couple "snapper" brand blower attachments at wally world that clicked right on. Wally world is a good source of trimmers & attachments right now as they're blowing out the summer stuff. I got the blowers in somewhat faded & tattered boxes for $10 each........They usually run $50. The troybuilt/ryobi units are decent for the price......the old one from the house (8 yrs old) got retired to my shop(due to a loud piston slap sound when using the blower at high rpm) but still won't die.............

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom, THANKS. I'll check out Harbor Freight's website and their store, they have a store 2 miles from my office. Everything I bought are still in the unopened boxes in the back of my truck.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bob.......if it's in a sale flyer(mailer) they'll honor it in a store if it's in stock. Try printing out the web page & taking it in with you, or I can mail you the latest flyer........seems like I get 2 of them a week..............