• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Converting to a 5 man cab!

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Making progress on the motor as Parts show up...lol bit frustrated that I order the Industrial water pump for my Industrial Ford, only to find that it is 3/4 thicker and unless I remake my alternator bracket it won’t work...so back to the automotive version, I cross referenced FoMoCo C8AE -8505 K to a Gates 42057 so that will be good and now it’s mounted!
60bad3364270f1ba2a14c26e6feb1797.jpg
a85dca52e612ebbee13b0289d2a33f93.jpg
de44eef828e9a46ad5fe421323296c79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
As you can see it’s Ford Blue now! Now I can start on the EFI Kit!!!

553f2ea889b5873bbb27e2ada238b3a5.jpg

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
You are correct! AFI Kit, recommended by this forum! Early BDay present for me!!!
7fcf1a89d385d4fe3b09ce03b33f56b5.jpg

PJL

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=20688562

Here is the thread where I documented the install. There were a few bugs but minor. The coolant temp sensor was installed incorrectly. I removed the T and threaded it right into the block. My coolant guage sensor is now in the block drain. I removed the tank heater that was there. The heater hoses go to the water pump and thermostat housing.

PJL

MBSIEG's LMC throttle linkage was setup like this. C-6 auto. 300 Ford engine. The spring in the linkage compresses which allows you to get into the kickdown.

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_140414584.jpg
    IMG_20191112_140414584.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20191112_140241703.jpg
    IMG_20191112_140241703.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 268

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the FMX but it Looks like I will have to fabricate a new kick down lever for mine, mine is too tight to the throttle body to make it easy to connect, i better get my tranny mounted back to the motor!

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve got a M925......and thinking you suffer the same disease ....”what else works well in the snow besides a 6x6 with super singles”.

Engine looks great! When I sought out a water pump for my SW48 with a Ford 300 industrial, almost fell over on the OEM price....luckily found a used one for less, but HOLY COW....nothing is cheap on the industrial engines.

Bob

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Progress is slow but a few updates...

So the AFI kits ECT (water temp) sensor has to have constant flow on it to read accurately, so I was able to install this 3/8” T (Thanks PJL!!) inline with my heater hose to make everything work since the factory temp sensor is in the thermostat housing.
Next pics are of the bracket I made to hold the ECM off of the Hyd pump bracket as the AFI kits one wouldn’t work where the old mech Fuel pump goes
Then I went to mount my coil but come to find out the Ford guy must of forgot to drill and tap the second hole[emoji849], coil still fits and I was able to get all my plug wires lined up...
I used Moroso Mag tune wires 9003M
They are supposed to be the best....we’ll see!

4c07e71689576fe5c326befcf4f6929d.jpg

652decee2a4ebc841934dbbded4bab82.jpg

0b3095b609315abf7995319602a9a82b.jpg

5d54472dc16c356d4b7d9b53cf49a37c.jpg

3bf16abd22b1e5b184398054f7aec5d5.jpg

Last edited:

PJL

Does your heater have a shut off valve? If so that might affect the flow across the sensor.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Good piont! But no shut off on my heater...just open the windows...lol

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the motor and tranny together now, just need to mount EFI kit sensors and secure up wires, then it’s ready for a cat!
370cd89678c2e7736451a96f1e8ea51d.jpg

c88f98d21f332c23c6c848144a46b62b.jpg

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
The AFI Kit has a few components that mount around the engine, but I like to try and keep everything compartmentalized, so I straightened the old plate that had the starter relay solenoid and voltage regulator, added some angle iron and drilled a bunch of mounting holes and got all the components on the plate. Now to order battery cables and the 6 GA wires for the Alternator. Any suggestions on places to get Cables???
db106990c3c05704cc03bd6b44826be7.jpg

94158031ad068914c43dad9a84cf9c3b.jpg

30db4319f96bde5510216a3454107c6d.jpg

392ef1db30e899e2acfcb266e6bf5970.jpg

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the NAPA auto stores here have bulk cables, ends and the right crimping tool. they make to order.

Snowy Rivers

Very very nice....Getting all the electronics in one easy to reach spot.....perfect.

As far as cables go..... solder on copper ends are the catsass....and they will not leave you scratching your butt when corrosion sets in where you can't see it.

I have fought bad cables many times and crimped joints are a no no on anything mission critical...

Get the copper solder on ends... slip a short length of heat shrink tubing over the cable.

Put the copper end in the vice and add a bit of soldering paste to the cup and work it around.

Strip the cable insulation back and insert into cup.

Heat the assembly with a propane torch and add solder and allow to flow into the wire/cup until the cable has saturated and the solder is at the top lip of the cup.

Let cool.... DO NOT USE ACID CORE OR SILVER.

Use a good lead rosin core solder and life is good.

Slip the heat shrink tube over the cup end of the assembly and wave the torch across it just heating enough to shrink it to form a nice tight fit over the cable and copper end.

This cable will never leave you stranded with a corroded crimp buried where you can't see it.

Crimps are a ticking time bomb on the heavy battery cables.

I have had to deal with this crap in the cold....no fun.

A soldered connection is 100%
The crimps will always start to oxidize in the area the metal is crushed together.

The inner strands eventually loose contact and the entire assembly fails.

Soldering forms a 100% reliable connection....and you can get your custom fit just perfect.

Lay it all up...mark things...solder...good to go

Try and get as fine of stranded wire as possible.

USE the Marine type battery terminals with the stud and wing nut.. Connect the copper terminals to the studs... Always carry a couple spares in the tool box..
If a battery terminal fails...simply toss it in the dirt and put in a new one... Light coating of white grease on the terminals helps to stop corossion is a plus.
A Glass mat battery like the Optima is a real plus too....they don't eat up battery trays and terminals....also they can be had with top terminals as well as side terminals
Any battery with access covers on top of the cells is a liability and will contribute to failure you don't need/want CORROSION ACID LEAKAGE

Welding cables are the ticket... fine strand...https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...i76-a7t-XnAhWbKDQIHT3YBi8Q9aACegQIDRA0&adurl=

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very very nice....Getting all the electronics in one easy to reach spot.....perfect.

As far as cables go..... solder on copper ends are the catsass....and they will not leave you scratching your butt when corrosion sets in where you can't see it.

I agree whole heartedly with the connection methodology outlined above.

I however want to share a non argumentative approach to the crimp is evil thought.

I have quite a few hours engineering and installing wire harness and power distribution on off road race trucks.

Solder on joints are an art. there is a differing approach to the junction of where the solder does not get. shaking and bending a soldered conductor quickly work hardens the copper and copper becomes brittle very quickly.

we tried crimping and soldering after crimping and still found a crimp only to survive the fatigue better.

so here is the rationalization. ( i feel ) the bigger the cable the better it takes to the soldering only technique. Silver soldering is best due to the high melting point.
the cables have some mass to them and are not prone to wiggle about.

Crimping with a No-lox type product eliminates the corrosion element

the race program did not use branch circuit protection on non critical loads. we undersized conductors and relied on heat to limit current.
there is no point preserving a failing component in a RACE. with an eye on the prize mentality we refined the harnesses to be a light and durable as possible. BMW and AUDI are working on raising voltages in cars to get the wiring smaller and the there is something to be said for that.

there is no end all be all in the wire connections world. but clean secure and properly sized is the key.

Connect how you would like but there is multiple approaches. properly applied all have there merits

alryA

I'll throw in my 2 cents,, which is not really worth that much. :laugh3: Concerning the whole "crimp verse soldering argument. I was assembling the circuit for an all-way blade for use on a UTV and planned to solder for the corrosion/wet/dependability thing. I pulled in the help of a Electrical Engineer who specialized in power circuity and he had just graduated from MI tech. He said he had helped on a satellite project and they had used crimps because they had found those to be more dependable than solder. Ask if you like to see the all-way blade thingy...

Today I crimp.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As I understand from a friend who was chief engineer for Freightliner Trucks, USAF, aircraft builders (Boeing), and their trucks, use only crimp connectors. I used them forty years ago on a vehicle which now has over 600,000 miles on it and no failures. Here's a couple of options for crimping battery cables, the two handle crimping tool is the best way but the hammer and anvil, which is cheaper will do a good job too. The shrink tube shown is super with a silicon type inside which makes for an air tight seal and stiffens the connection where it is most likely to fail; the area where the wire insulation ends and the terminal begins. Sigmaform is the manufacturer of the shrink tube. Find it on the interweb.

Attachments

• Battery cables.jpg
    Battery cables.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 278

Snowy Rivers

Well now....

Many ideas.

My stead fast opinion comes from over 40 years in the automotive, trucking and other machinery building bizz

The crimps are FAST and this makes for ease of assembly...

Corrosion will happen....and is most common at the battery ends.

I have seen it on the block ends of ground cables.

This entire issue seems to be limited to heavy battery cables mostly.

Dampness is a killer....get moisture in the connections and electrolysis can set up in any circuit.
Dissimilar metals....yada yada yada.

Bottom line.

Whatever you are comfortable with.....

Myself, I will continue to use lead solder on the heavy cables...

Main reason is that every strand in the conductor is making 100% connection and corrosion that creates high resistance will not occur.

Snowy Rivers

I agree with Redsqwrl 100%

Light weight wiring that's soldered and allowed to flex certainly can break due to fatigue.

My prime example as to why I still believe what I do.

Years ago were were out in the winter -20 F

One of the rigs would not start....

New batteries
Cables were only 4-5 years old (GM SIDE TERMINAL)
Everything looked super...

Jumped the thing and still no joy.

Much to the alarm of the owner I grabbed a knife and started hacking the RED plastic off the battery cable end.

The cable was one of those dipped type that has the crimped connector totally encased in the polymer.

Deep in the connector was a mass of white corrosion.... Cable end junk.

The side terminal was spotless at the battery.....absolutely perfect.

We cut off the old end and cleaned things up.

Then came a RUBE GOLDBERG MIX AND MATCH of junk several of us had in our tool boxes to get the cable connected to the battery.

Cable was long enough thankfully to allow for the Mickey Mouse.

Had we not had tools and several bunches of junk to sift through that great looking factory cable would/could have been a serious issue....even life threatening.

Points to consider

Automotive
Marine
Snowcat
Heavy equipment

These bad boys operate in pretty nasty environments with water, slush, dirt and GAWD knows what all else getting tossed at the equipment.

Snow water is the softest water on the planet....and it can get into nearly anyplace.

Then add minerals in the dirt that will come over time and the recipe is perfect for corrosion to get a foothold.

The chances of a large heavy battery cable breaking off due to fatigue is likely zip.0

If it's swinging around loose ummmmm .....We don't build stuff that way.:smile:

Rough off road is a special place with it's own rules.

Engineering is fine....real world performance is yet another place altogether.

Just sayin..
Not to argue...but simply point out what I have seen and learned from...

Snowy Rivers

Tricycle cat ????? :th_lmao:

Two tracks up front and one in the rear...LIKE A SPYDER ????

Hmmmmmm

I still like 2 tracks.....Tucker 4 trackers are cool though.....