• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Privacy on a Cell Phone/Cordless Phone

OregonAlex

On another thread OkeeDon has mentioned that he were amazed how easy it was to monitor peoples cell phone conversations.

Bob then responded, correctly IMHO, to say that was possible because the cell phone that they were using was most likely Analog instead of Digital.

Good thing that most cell phones theses days are moving to Digital technology like GSM.

However, its too bad this is not occuring in the Cordless home phone market.

I just wanted to share with you how hard it was to find a truelly digital spread spectrum CORDLESS phone for my home telephone line which did not interfer with Wireless LAN Technology and had good performance. Phones can be found which are truelly digitial but you have to look really hard and pay close to $100 or more to do so.

The other delima is that higher frequency tend to have lower range, I don't care what the marketer of high frequency phone says. All the choice frequencies are all in the lower range. Higher frequency = less range.

I have tried lots of expensive NEW digital spread spectum cordless phones in the 5.8 Ghz range and have not found a single one that I like. The most common problem I saw was that I could hear other people just fine but they had a hard time hearing me and the range of the phone was very limited when I went outside.

So what I have been doing lately is buying refurbished 900 Mhz Uniden Digital Spread Spectrum Cordless phones around the house. Just wanted to share this time with you. I have found that they can be found on line for around $20.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Absolutely the same experiences I have.

The 900Mhz phones are cheap and have good range.
The 2.4Ghz phones interfear with WiFi technology in your computer network.
The 5.8Ghz phones have far shorter range and cost a bundle.

For any level of secure conversation digital spread spectrum "DSS" is an absolute MUST.

I would also add that if you have wireless video security cameras that your neighbors can pick up those transmissions and view the same images you view.

OregonAlex

B_Skurka said:
Absolutely the same experiences I have.

The 900Mhz phones are cheap and have good range.
The 2.4Ghz phones interfear with WiFi technology in your computer network.
The 5.8Ghz phones have far shorter range and cost a bundle.

For any level of secure conversation digital spread spectrum "DSS" is an absolute MUST.

I would also add that if you have wireless video security cameras that your neighbors can pick up those transmissions and view the same images you view.

The problem is locating someone that still sells the 900Mhz DSS phones. They are getting a bit hard to find.. Also its has been my experience that you have to replace the battery that they come with right away with a new one as the stock one that comes with them have lost its capacity to hold a charge.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
While we are on the subject, 2.4Ghz phones kill my wifi network no matter what setting I use on my wireless router or what brand wireless router I use. So, I bought 5.8Ghz phones. Only afterwards did I discover that not only does their range suck, they also use 2.4Ghz for part of their signal and they, too, screw with my wireless network. The old 900Mhz phones had static when I wondered out very far. What can I use????

My house sits right in the middle of a 12 acre yard. I'd really like to be able to use my cordless phones while out in the yard, and I like the "paging" function of the phones. None of the cordless phones seem to be able to work from my house to inside my barn. So, I have cordless phones in my barn as well. I even tried to bribe my ham radio friend to make me some setup so I'd have decent range and not screw with my wifi network. No go. I'm up for suggestions. Basically, I need about 10 phones in the house, 4 in the pool house, and 2 in my barn. I have a Square D phone block setup in my basement where I can control which phone lines ring to which room. I have 4 land line numbers and 6 cell phone numbers. And, no, I do not have them all memorized! :eek: Any suggestions?

OregonAlex

Dargo,

a 900Mhz DSS will give you the static protection. I think DSS @ 900 was a rare thing to find because it was expensive. I remember spending about 150 dollars on our primary cordless phone (900Mhz DSS Uniden) when it was new in 1997. It was hard to find at the time. It is still the best cordless phone we have bought to date.

-Alex