• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Repairing Crack In Fiberglass Bathtub

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
might look ugly but a produgt called splash zone wil fix it right up half of the comercial vessels in western alaska are stuck together with it its the marine equivialant to duct tape also with any of the epoxies or fiberglass if yiu press it into shape with some waxed paper and remove it when it cures it will save you alot of sanding and goves you a smooth finnish

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
might look ugly but a produgt called splash zone wil fix it right up half of the comercial vessels in western alaska are stuck together with it its the marine equivialant to duct tape also with any of the epoxies or fiberglass if yiu press it into shape with some waxed paper and remove it when it cures it will save you alot of sanding and goves you a smooth finnish
Don, I think the QuickSteel did a good job!
What you suggest may well be sort of the same type of product, not sure.
In any case, I am not too worried about the way it looks at the moment, as I have a pretty bathroom and a shower curtain to hide it all.:smile:
Just ticks me off that it happened in the first place.
Thanks for the advice!

Lia

Banned
Well, I fell in the shower a couple of days ago, came down with a bang.
This morning while taking a soak, I heard what sounded like leaking water running under the tub.
To my horror, I saw a crack at the back end of the tub, approx 2 " long and in the shape of a backwards question mark.
I bought a product called QuickSteel and applied it over the crack.
It said it's supposed to fix cracks on boats as well as a lot of other surfaces.
Do you think this will work?
If not, I'll have to replace the whole damned thing won't I?
The leaking also caused the linoleum to turn a slight blue underneath, in that corner of the bathroom.
Arrrrrrrrghh!!

If the stuff you bought is suitable for fixing cracks on boats pirate_girl, then it must be waterproof, and sturdy, so I doubt that it will leak again; particularly since you say that it appears to be very strong. You could just try sanding it down, if the patch is rough, and then painting it with a ceramic, or exterior gloss, as close to the original color as is possible. Radiator paint would also be tough and resistant I would imagine.

In any event, good luck with whatever you do with the problem.