• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anybody here really know alot about antique furniture and clocks?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We went to Poland again recently. We have to start planning for my MILs end of life, and selling her things.

My wife has an old antique dresser there that she believes is very valuable. It is definitely old, and could use some refurbishing. She also has a number of wall clocks.

Do we have anybody here that knows antiques very well and could provide a professional opinion of worth? If not, does anybody know of somebody I could email all the pix to for assessment? I have pix of the drawer bottoms, joint details, etc.

I'll attach a couple of pix.

Attachments

• 3dec08 022.jpg
    3dec08 022.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 3dec08 021.jpg
    3dec08 021.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 75

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I was hoping to get an idea of worth before I spend good money on a real appraisal.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Fred,

Certainly a challenge. Not really enough information but I'll give you an opinion that I would consider an educated guess. In the mean time, check for stamps, tags, plates, or any markings that could give you some insught as to manufacturer and age. Can/would you open the doors to take some additional pics? The wood looks like a burl or birds eye maple. The clock should be removable and could also have some stamps, engravings or such. This could be helpful too.

Now the difficult part. there are a number of factors that play into the value besides the stuff mentioned above. Condition, which you explained some but needs a more accurate description of. Does the clock work and keep good time? Are there pieces missing? A foot or piece of trim or something else? Where you are, geographical location can have an impact on the value. Different things have different values in different parts of the country. Some times the value is influenced by economic considerations in the area you are trying to sell that something. That's not to say you are trying to sell it but that is always a good reference point. Example, here where I live, that might go for $700. 35 minutes up the road you might get roughly twice that. Also different areas are many times geared toward certain influences. Again, here where I'm at, Primitive and pottery are big and the more ornate/formal things don't command the same dollars they would somewhere else. Then there are the collectors. If you happen to find one who's into that particular style of piece, they'll pay maybe a little more.

I find that a good starting point is to check EBay or some other auction site to see if there is or has been one listed recently. Again, real important is to try to find whatever sort of identification you can to help in the search. Try some of the higher end antique dealer web sites to see if they have one to use as a comparable.

I don't know how helpful this has been but for sure it's tough based on only the two pics you posted.

Last edited:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
OK, I was able to finally get the pics of the cabinet loaded into photobucket. There's also pics of the various clocks and a couple of religious 3D objects. Anybody have a feel if there's worth to any of this and if I should take it to te next step with areal appraiser?

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/waybomb/Antiques/

Are you shipping that here and then selling? Most of that looks like really nice woodworking.

I just found out the violin I payed $10 at a flea market is worth about $800. I would look in to an appraisal. At least, if it is not worth so much, you are only out a little bit. If it is worth a lot, then the appraisal easily pays for itself.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I do not believe antiques can be legally removed from Poland. We've heard conflicting stories.

When my MIL passes, we'll need to either sell these or give them away in Poland. I'd hate to give away something very valuable. My wife believes that the cabinet is highly prized, meaning big money. I do not believe we are that lucky.

I'd love to bring the clocks back here. I would not sell them but would pass them on to my son someday.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
A couple of things. Typically it's "artifacts", Historical items relative to significant events, periods, persons and such in a country's history that can't be taken out of the country. Poland and other Eastern European countries made things for sale all over the world. The items you have would be considered general consumer items and shouldn't be an issue taking with you if you wanted especially because of your family history with the original owners. If they belonged to someone significant in the country's history that might make a difference but you haven't lead me to believe otherwise.an american consulate

An appraisal would only give you the value there and might not be as much because there are more of them around. They could be worth far more here. Check with an American consulate representative. They could give you some insight on how to proceed with little or no interference. The real issue will be the shipping costs