• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's for Dinner Tonight?

Umberto

I like the slaw with vinegar and oil with celery seed. I'll post the Betty Crocker recipes later, both of them.

I'm not sure about you all's women, one does't like anchovies and one doesn't like onions. Jeesh! I put onions in about everything I make. :big grin: As far as green pepper is concerned I love stuffed green peppers as well as fresh but sometimes it doesn't agree with me later in the evening.

I'm thinking about take away Chinese tonight. I've had a headache all day and don't feel like cooking tonight.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Umberto, try this recipe some time if you like a sweet slaw. It's from my late MIL, and has been a family favorite for over 50 years...and it's dirt simple to make! I quarter my cabbage, remove the heavy core, then slice very fine using my chef knife. This makes it "stringy," as opposed to chopped or diced, but you can cut it the way that you enjoy. I also grate my carrots so they are fine. Increase recipe proportionately for more cabbage, but too much is never a problem, as you can drain off excess liquid prior to serving. The "sauce" increase in volume and will thin out as the salt sweats the cabbage.

Sweet Cole Slaw
From the Kitchen of Grandma Gibbons​

Ingredients:

1# Shredded cabbage with carrots (fresh sliced or bagged from the store)
1/4C Granulated sugar
1/4C Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (or use 50/50 mix)

2t Cider vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:

Combine sugar, mayo and vinegar in a deep bowl and combine well. Add cabbage, sprinkle with salt & pepper, then mix well so all cabbage is coated. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as needed.

Place in a covered bowl in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Best if made 6-8 hours before serving or even the day before. (I always make one day ahead)

Mix well just before serving to recoat all the cabbage.

Basically that's what I did but used the Betty Crocker recipe. It called for a mix of sour cream and mayo, as well as some dry yellow mustard. It was too bland so added a couple of T. sugar and a couple of Spanish vinegar. I used chopped onion, chopped green pepper and a shredded carrot.

FullSizeRender%202_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You guys got me fired up so I made some cole slaw with dinner tonight. I used JEV's recipe and it came out real good. I did the 50/50 thing with mayo and MW. I think that is the way to go.

Cheers gents.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are having, what we affectionately call "Crap Fiesta" at our house tonight :w00t2:

Basically we do some freezer diving, some pantry clearing and maybe suppliment it with some impulse buys at the grocery store that are in the refrigerator too. Add some crusty bread, some spray cheeze from a can, maybe a bit of chocolate and you have a meal.

Sometimes its really good.

Sometimes its followed up by Pepto-Bismol :sad:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Left church and decided to NOT go out to eat...too cold to be getting in and out of the car.

DW made herself a BLT & chips. I took the last of the meatloaf and coated it with some leftover spaghetti sauce, then steamed some broccoli & cauliflower.

Attachments

• Dinner 032815.jpg
    Dinner 032815.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 152

Umberto

My son wanted Indian food so we ordered takeaway from a place we'd not tried but came highly recommend by our Punjabi plumber.

Indian.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Basically that's what I did but used the Betty Crocker recipe. It called for a mix of sour cream and mayo, as well as some dry yellow mustard. It was too bland so added a couple of T. sugar and a couple of Spanish vinegar. I used chopped onion, chopped green pepper and a shredded carrot.

FullSizeRender%202_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My slaw dressing is like this except for a little zip instead of dried mustard I use yellow mustard and about a half teaspoon of horseradish mustard.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
#2 daughter & our son stopped over to visit and have dinner with us. Had a good visit and a good meal.
dinner-032915-jpg.93170

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes.

Oh, and homemade horseradish sauce :hammer:

Leni

I'm being lazy tonight. TJ's taquitos along with refried beans etc.

By the way I have a recipe for cole slaw with apple in it. Anyone interested? It uses apples and apple cider vinegar along with a touch of sugar and Best Foods mayo.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Fettuccine Carbonara, with much bacon!
I used Bertolli mushroom alfredo sauce, then just added the pasta, and the cooked bacon toward the end.
Voila! lovely dinner in a pinch.

Good thing I didn't give up bacon for Lent... just sayin' :whistling:

Umberto

I look forward to Easter's Amana smoked pork chops, Pirate Girl. I'll buy a fresh bag of hickory for the grill.

Tonight I had a mozzarella, pepper and basil sandwich at the Metropolitan Market and it was excellent.

The Curiosity Cola was very good, too.

FullSizeRender%202_4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Last night was grilled chicken breast, twice baked potatoes and steamed broccoli & cauliflower. Too boring for a pic.

Got the grand kids thru Saturday, so we'll be doing Chic-Fil-A for dinner so they can play after eating.

Bread baking tomorrow for Easter.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
After attending Good Friday services this morning, my best friend and I headed to Fort Wayne, Indiana for a day of shopping.

We went to Tilted Kilt for dinner.
The fish and chips are the bomb.
Would have had a shot of Jameson or Dewar's, but I was driving. :biggrin::yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
The breads are made for Easter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 81

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Today must be baking day here on FF. I just took the rolls for tomorrow out of the oven and buttered the tops.

2015-04-04 17.17.56.jpg

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Frying some chicken as I type. Not sure what I will have with it. Better go check on in before I burn the *BLEEP* out of it. Wish me luck. I'm not much of a cook

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
.....and you pick on me for making too much cole slaw. :yum:QUOTE]
Many would agree with me that 4# of cole slaw for 6 people is a little much.:pat:

Three of the loaves are for brunch at my SIL's home...13 adults, 5 kids. There will be bread left for my SIL's dinner by design. 6 adults, 3 kids.

One loaf for my freezer.

The dinner rolls are for dinner at my niece's home...16 adults, 8 kids.

Don't think it's really overkill.

Very nice dinner rolls. I also like to do the butter topping when they come from the oven.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
.....and you pick on me for making too much cole slaw. :yum:QUOTE]
Many would agree with me that 4# of cole slaw for 6 people is a little much.:pat:

Three of the loaves are for brunch at my SIL's home...13 adults, 5 kids. There will be bread left for my SIL's dinner by design. 6 adults, 3 kids.

One loaf for my freezer.

The dinner rolls are for dinner at my niece's home...16 adults, 8 kids.

Don't think it's really overkill.

Very nice dinner rolls. I also like to do the butter topping when they come from the oven.

LOL, many would agree, including my wife.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I made two burger steaks with a little butter added while still hot in the pan, then a splash of Lea & Perrins.
A salad too of romaine, onion, shaved carrot, and cucumber slices, with Newman's Poppy Seed dressing.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
The breads are made for Easter.

The problem I have when baking bread, is after I pull them from the oven, I just have to rip into one and slather a piece with butter while it's still hot. I'm in heaven just thinking about it.

Umberto

Last night I roasted a standing rib roast using cherry, alder, and mesquite for smoke and it was excellent. I wet aged it for 3 weeks, froze it after Christmas, then thawed it for 4 days in the garage - I have a cold garage. I told my butcher how I age rib roast and all he could do is shake his head.:mellow:

The sides were goat cheese potatoes, a Costco mixed veg salad, and rhubarb/strawberry pie, key lime pie, and Tillamook vanilla ice-cream.

FullSizeRender%202_5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender%206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender%203_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]