• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Building cabinets the old way ....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I been here in the new home for about 2 weeks. I have started building more cabinets since we moved from 3000 plus feet to about 12-1400 feet .
Since the old house is so old I build all of them in place . That way I can correct for unlevel floors or walls . This place was built in the 1800's and has had 13 additions added through the years !Fixing it up has been a real labor of love and it would have been much cheaper to have torn down the old ranch house and started over .We now have a pretty neat little place . Each morning , I get up and go down to the barn and get some rough lumber that was sawed locally and dried in the small kilm. Everything is a full 1" thick so it goes through my planer to get prepared to become cabinet lumber . Most of it is "Blue Pine" that I appliy a light oak finish to .It brings out the grain and makes for a beautiful look.Then armed with lots of planed lumber to last the day ,I head for my table saws and start ripping it into usable material . There is a lot of satisfaction in hand picking every piece of lumber that is to be used .
To date I have added 6 cabinets and have 2 more yet to build .
I should be able to post some pictures of my work after tomorrow , when the new internet system is hooked up .

I figured out the total cost of all the cabinets in the house and have about $1000 dollars in total cost including the tile counter tops . Pretty damn cheap when compared to what they would have cost me to buy .I figure These same cabinets would have set me back about $20 grand had I contracted them out !!! I'll put these cabinets up against the finest made anywhere for comparison .The nicest part is there is NOT one piece of "Particle Board" In any of it . Its all Local Blue Pine .

PICTURES SOON !

snow dog

If your building cabinets the old way,,, maybe you should un-plug those modern tools and use a little more elbow grease:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I hate drawers !!!! I hate em ...:w00t2: Its always the part I dread about building cabinets . It does not seem to matter how square I build the openings , I always end up readjusting the drawer glides after I have them installed .I spent all day building the last 8 drawers for the new bedroom dresser . I spent 2 hours readjusting the damn drawers . I am now on my 3rd Dr. Rum. :mellow:I am still mad .

One set of the bottom drawers are so big it could be a "slide away bed" . Those things are huge . No idea what she is going to stuff in it .

I have never found a "drawer glide set" that I like and easily installs . Anyone else have any knowledge of good ones ??

With a little luck I may finish the bedroom dresser tomorrow :clap:.

Oh yippee.... The wife just said she wants one more cabinet out in the breezeway . Lucky me ..:mellow::unsure:
I think I will take part of Sunday off ....:shifty: