• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electronic Shooting Muffs are worthless for Tractoring

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well only Semi-Worthless.

I've been thinking about buying a pair of expensive shooting muffs that have audio inputs so I can listen to my iPod while using the tractor AND still have the sound deadening of the electronic muffs to kill the engine sounds. So I put on a set of my current electronic muffs to test things . . . mine don't have an AUX in port so I can't use them for listening to an iPod, but I figured it would be a test to see how well the electronic sound deadening works on a tractor.

Simply put, it does NOT work. In fact just the opposite. It enhances the engine noise :sad:

Apparently the shooting muffs work by having a noise level that triggers the microphone and that then shuts off the sound while the noise is too high. The problem is that the noise threshold to trigger the sound deadening is ABOVE the noise level emitted by the tractor. So since the tractor engine noise is below the threshold, it actually amplifies the engine noise. Simply turning off the electronic sensor quiets the noise, but that also would eliminate the ability to listen to an iPod.

Guess I need to re-think this.

mak2

I have not very expensive Peltors that have am/fm and an input jack of IPods etc. I mowed with them for years and love them. I dont know how good they would be for shooting.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any idea what model they are?

I don't need another set of shooting muffs, I'm looking for muffs that will quiet the tractor AND let me listen to an iPod. If they also allow me to hear speech that is an added bonus but not totally necessary.

I found the Elvex De Tune Com-640: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/elvex-detune-communications-earmuffs.html
earplugstore_2123_282400625

It looks promising because it allows the user to detune various frequencies on both the low and high end of the sound spectrum.

mak2

I cant find the price either. My wild guess is about $120 because I cant imagine me spending more than that, but I just dont rememeber.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thnx. On my PC now and Amazon has them for $122.00 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-M2RX7A-Alert-Radio-Headset/dp/B0007KQUJS"]Amazon[/ame].

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For tractoring and listening to an iPod, I always use the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-90541-WorkTunes-Protector/dp/B0013092CS/ref=dp_ob_title_hi"]Peltor Work Tunes[/ame]. Noise reduction works well.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jerry they look pretty good and for the price even better. I just wished they had Blu Tooth. But I can handle the cable at that price. I have a few items in my Cart and just added these.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The PELTOR Work Tunes look better than the AO Work Tunes. They seem to have greater noise reduction (26 versus 22), but neither of them have the electronic noise reduction.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well only Semi-Worthless.

I've been thinking about buying a pair of expensive shooting muffs that have audio inputs so I can listen to my iPod while using the tractor AND still have the sound deadening of the electronic muffs to kill the engine sounds. So I put on a set of my current electronic muffs to test things . . . mine don't have an AUX in port so I can't use them for listening to an iPod, but I figured it would be a test to see how well the electronic sound deadening works on a tractor.

Simply put, it does NOT work. In fact just the opposite. It enhances the engine noise :sad:

Apparently the shooting muffs work by having a noise level that triggers the microphone and that then shuts off the sound while the noise is too high. The problem is that the noise threshold to trigger the sound deadening is ABOVE the noise level emitted by the tractor. So since the tractor engine noise is below the threshold, it actually amplifies the engine noise. Simply turning off the electronic sensor quiets the noise, but that also would eliminate the ability to listen to an iPod.

Guess I need to re-think this.
It is good to find out that none will work.