• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydraulic fluid ~ got the bleeding stopped

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It must just be my luck.

For the past 2 years I've had intermittent problems with the hydraulic fittings on the front of my tractor, typically popping loose during hard work sessions. Today I was working with the FEL and a back blade to move some dirt and smooth things out and everything seemed normal. Until I stopped to refuel. Front of the tractor was soaked with fluid and a puddle was growing in the driveway.

The fitting was pressure nut had loosened and was spitting fluid. Killed the engine and the leak slowed to a drip.

Problem is I was at the house, the tools are at the shop. So I fueled up and drove over to the shop. All the fittings are night tightened.

But I am beginning to wonder, is it a New Holland thing that the fittings seem to come loose or is it just my dumb luck? :ermm:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob I've never had any problems with mine but now that I've said that :pat:

Mine have never popped loose unless maybe I just didn't seat them good the first time. It usually showed up completing the re-install of the loader. I do have very low hours on my NH, but the loader comes off every time I mow, so it's been off quite a few times.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Both of my neighbors had trouble with their leaking as well as other things. One was 14 months old and the other was only 7 months old and they both just traded to other brands. These were not small,inexpensive tractors either.One was 80 horse and the other was over a hundred. One had a loader and one did not. Both had multiple problems and their tractors were down several times waiting on the dealer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...their tractors were down several times waiting on the dealer.
I've never had to have it go to the dealer for this but the quick connects have popped off several times when worked hard. Tonight not only did one of the QCs disconnect but the pressure nut loosened up enough on one of the fittings to cause a good leak. Not sure how much fluid I lost, but the tractor is now parked and I'll be picking up some more fluid before I put it back to work.

jwstewar

I've not had this problem with mine. I bought about the same time you and Jerry did. I'm around 1200 hrs. on mine. Though my QC have started dripping a bit now when they aren't connected. Probably should change them, just haven't started leaking enough yet to make them a priority to change them.:whistling:

I did have one of mine come apart one time, but that was right after I got it and didn't really have it seated properly. I've noticed a couple of times since that I haven't seated them in correctly and fixed it before I started the tractor. Once you do that, it can become a pain in the put because it will build a really high pressure but know where for it to go.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had one pop off but am sure it was because I didn't seat it properly. Now after inserting them I give them a good tug and push up on the release rings to make sure they are all the way in.

As for leaking I had the ones with the cooler hoses that deteriorated every two years. I bought the fix kit for it and have been happy since.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know a couple times I had a QC come undone it was when I was working in the wood and a branch hit the QC. While its an easy place to mount the QCs, and while it makes for convenient attachment, I think there should be a guard to protect them (perhaps an optional guard) for people who work among the trees??? But yesterday I was simply knocking down large piles of dirt and moving them around on my property, no bumping into trees involved in that process. So I don't know why/how the one came loose and I don't know why/how the pressure nut loosened up either.

I do know that a good deal of hydraulic fluid was lost as is evidenced by the large puddle on my driveway and the even larger one at my workshop.

I realize this a a very minor gripe, a 5 minute repair and no big deal. But as I've had the QC hoses pop a few times I just figured I'd ask. Looks like it is just me and the way I abuse my loader.

Last edited by a moderator: