• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ATV battery recommendation

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My original battery lasted 5 years. No special maitenence. It just worked.
I replaced it less than two years ago with a battery from the dealership where I bought the ATV. But it's aready shot. I've been pull starting since late last fall cause I didn't want to buy a new battery to sit thru wintertime.

I'm looking for a good battery that will last 4 or 5 years like my first one. Any recommendations?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Way back when I was a dealer, you could have a new machine with a battery and and replacement battery with the same part number, the battery that came with the machine would always last longer even with the same fill up and first charging the same. The batteries that they put in the machines must have a closer tolerance or just a little bit better materials. Either that or they just last longer because the machine is newer and everything works just right.:pat:

HarryG

Doc,
I'm still on my original battery for 3 years now but when mine does give up the boat I will go for one of those sealed batteries. Conventional batteries take a real beating from the rough terrian that an ATV puts them through(at least I do):yum:.
I have a few buddies that recommend them. A little pricey but they say worth it. Free shipping too over $50.
Regards, Harry
ATV Batteries

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

I too have had batteries last 5+ years and others that lasted about 2.
The biggest thing I've found is how much the machine is used. The less it's used, it "seems" the shorter the battery life.
One of the battery tenders seems to help.
If/as I recall Yuasa makes a good battery for ATV's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that is the name of the batterey I bought (Yuasa), and it was the same as was in the ATV new. Just like Reddog ssaid. And the ATV is not riden as much ...so I suppose that does play into it.
But other than Harry's link, it doesn't ssound like any brand names being much above the others. Guess I could do just as well buying it at AutoZone instead of the ATV dealers shop.

I've never used a battery tender on the ATV, but I understand you can hook up leads and just plug them in when you want to charge. Is this correct? Don't you need open air around a charging battery?

Harry, we ride pretty slow on our trails. I'm sure it would be considered easy going compared to most ATV's. :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I've never used a battery tender on the ATV, but I understand you can hook up leads and just plug them in when you want to charge. Is this correct? Don't you need open air around a charging battery?
Yes, some of the tenders come with a spare pigtail that you can leave connected to the battery.
At 1/2 amp and the fact most ATV batteries have tubed vents, I've never heard of a problem.