• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Window Air Conditioners

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of poking a hole in my shop wall and installing a window air conditioner.

A couple questions.
In the 10K BTU range (where I'm looking), there's lots of different mfgrs, models, options... Any particular one better than another?

When running, do they drip on the outside? Is it controlled or does it just drip across the entire opening? Can the dripping be directed?

Depending on the dripping question, is there any other reason I couldn't install the unit between 2 parts of the building? I want to cool the workshop area but the rear (storage) part of the building is pretty open and gets plenty of air. If I could run it in that direction instead of outside, I don't think I have to worry about winters as much.

Thoughts?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Brian,

Can't tell you which one is the best. It is kind of like the appliance industry in where a lot of them are made by the same manufacture.

As for the drainage. Most units now have a condenser fan blade with sling on it. The blade will pick up the water and throw it on the coil and evaporate. Just ask the company your buying it from or check the brochure to see if it has the sling on it.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Murph,

If it has a sling option, do you see any issues keeping the "outside" section of the unit going to another room that's inside?

Brian

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Only issue I see is if that "inside" room has little or no outside air circulation,it's gonna get mighty hot inside and once the temp in the "inside" room gets so high, the A/C is gonna have to work harder.
Mike

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks Murph,

If it has a sling option, do you see any issues keeping the "outside" section of the unit going to another room that's inside?

Brian

Provided it is a fairly large room there should be no problem. I see it done all the time especially in warehouse/office combination's. You will also put extra humidity in the outside room and if the air can't take that on you may start to see some water running out of the unit.

murph

edit; Re-Reading your first post your storage area has a lot of room. I don't see you having any problems. I would go for it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only issue I see is if that "inside" room has little or no outside air circulation,it's gonna get mighty hot inside and once the temp in the "inside" room gets so high, the A/C is gonna have to work harder.
Mike

Mike,
The other room is 32x20 and gets a decent amount of air. Since I wouldn't be using the A/C unless I'm in the workshop, I would just open the door to that back area. The door is about 10' from where I'd put the A/C and has an 8'x8' opening.

OK, If I can find one with the sling option, I'm going inside with it.

urednecku

Site Supporter
In the Jully issue of Consumer Reports, it lists Haier ESA3105 and Frigidaire FAC107P1A (Lowe's) as "best Buys". (They also list GE, Kenmore, Haier, and Frigidaire as "Best large air conditioners. )

Cityboy

Banned
In the Jully issue of Consumer Reports, it lists Haier ESA3105 and Frigidaire FAC107P1A (Lowe's) as "best Buys". (They also list GE, Kenmore, Haier, and Frigidaire as "Best large air conditioners. )

Frigidaire has been experiencing compressor problems recently, so take this under advisement.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Mike,
The other room is 32x20 and gets a decent amount of air. Since I wouldn't be using the A/C unless I'm in the workshop, I would just open the door to that back area. The door is about 10' from where I'd put the A/C and has an 8'x8' opening.

OK, If I can find one with the sling option, I'm going inside with it.

That should work fine. I didn't know what size room you'd be dumping that heat into.
Mike

dzalphakilo

Banned
Frigidaire has been experiencing compressor problems recently, so take this under advisement.

Once I see the name "consumer reports", I throw it out the window.

One year, when consumer reports had ratings out for residential split A/C systems, they rated Rheem number one, and Rhudd last.

It's the same damn company for God's sake!

Had a guy show me last year where consumer reports rated oil furnaces. Same thing, a joke.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

One year, when consumer reports had ratings out for residential split A/C systems, they rated Rheem number one, and Rhudd last.

Had a guy show me last year where consumer reports rated oil furnaces. Same thing, a joke.

Hey DZ do you remember the Amana Hot Water System. I can't remember the name of it but it heated via forced air and had a loop in it to do your domestic hot water. Was a pain in the arse to work on and only was on the market for about 5 years. It was taken off the market because of so many problems. Well Consumer reports had that one as the best to buy over the Lennox Pulse and the Bryant 92%. And they said the Carrier 92% was not even rated which was exactly the same as the Bryant, In fact the two came down the same assembly line.

Cityboy

Banned

That's a scream....I was an "Authorized Ruud Dealer" for years. Both brands are made at the same plant in Milledgeville, Ga.

And BTW....it's pronounced "Rude".

dzalphakilo

Banned
Hey DZ do you remember the Amana Hot Water System. I can't remember the name of it but it heated via forced air and had a loop in it to do your domestic hot water. Was a pain in the arse to work on and only was on the market for about 5 years. It was taken off the market because of so many problems. Well Consumer reports had that one as the best to buy over the Lennox Pulse and the Bryant 92%. And they said the Carrier 92% was not even rated which was exactly the same as the Bryant, In fact the two came down the same assembly line.

Do you mean the Amana HTM (heat transfer moduel) glycol system?

I b.s you not, I actually came across one that stopped working last month in a crawl space.

I told the contractor to replace it, no questions asked, and tell the homeowner that if he didn't replace it, he's (the contractor) off the job.

Ever try to move a Pulse furnace? (I was able to get the one out of my basement, however I still have one disconnected sitting in my attic:mrgreen:).

Yeah, and on that oil furnace rating I mentioned about, they had Bryant like four places above the Carrier or perhaps it was the other way around :confused2:

Still making those furnaces up in Canada?

Just like those boilers from Dunkirk that have Carrier and Lennox names on them, or Trane who had Thermopride make their "Vulcan" line (and Burnham owns Thermopride). Don't get me going....:D

dzalphakilo

Banned
That's a scream....I was an "Authorized Ruud Dealer" for years. Both brands are made at the same plant in Milledgeville, Ga.

And BTW....it's pronounced "Rude".

I know... someone had some shirts made up one time for guys that said it was "rude to install a Rhudd" and for the Carrier segment, "it's a pain to work on a Payne", and least we forget about Trane, "it's hard to start a Train".
You should of seen what I had Dave Lennox doing:D (I might add, they are all good equipment lines, just that if you can't make fun of yourself, who can you?)

Beleive me, I was a hoot at some parties (completely sober mind you). Funny enough, no one ever knew where those shirts came from :whistle:

Before anyone goes getting upset, equipment is just equipment. It's comes down to how it's installed. I'm just not Trainwashed:D

Apolgies Brain for getting off topic.

Last edited:

Cityboy

Banned
ruudlogo.gif
There are some things in life you can always rely on
Ruud is one of them.

Since 1889, quality and reliability have been a tradition at Ruud.
The tradition continues today as we introduce innovative products for our customer​

I like the Ruud Dude. He looks cooler than Dave Lennox
icon10.gif

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know if this helps much , but when I was looking for a AC unit to cool the Meat locker at the ranch I found a ton of them on Craigslist . I got a nearly new one with remote control for $50 and it works great . You might check and see what they have in your area :punk:

dzalphakilo

Banned
I don't know if this helps much , but when I was looking for a AC unit to cool the Meat locker at the ranch I found a ton of them on Craigslist . I got a nearly new one with remote control for $50 and it works great . You might check and see what they have in your area :punk:

Can I ask Al, what temp do you keep the meat locker at with a window unit?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Can I ask Al, what temp do you keep the meat locker at with a window unit?
It is set at the lowest manual setting when are are cutting meat in the cutting room . It runs non stop while we are working in there . The finished Elk meat is kept in a much cooler freezer area after it is processed and allowed to freeze hard as a rock . The main locker area is usually in the low 40's for most of the day .
Most nights the ranch is in the 30's or low 40's .We actually open the outside vents at night to conserve energy . The locker is heavily insulated and you will freeze your butt off in there when we start processing .

Last edited:

dzalphakilo

Banned
It is set at the lowest manual setting when are are cutting meat in the cutting room . It runs non stop while we are working in there . The finished Elk meat is kept in a much cooler freezer area after it is processed and allowed to freeze hard as a rock . The main locker area is usually in the low 40's for most of the day .
Most nights the ranch is in the 30's or low 40's .We actrually open the outside vents at night to conserve energy . The locker is heavily insulated and you will freeze your butt off in there when we start processing .

Makes sense.

You gave me a flashback to a guy who wanted to buy a ductless mini split system to install in an old garage that he was going to insulate "real well" to keep produce "fresh" in.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found a couple on Craigslist and made some inquiries to see if they're still available.

The listing I'm liking is the Frigidare FAC107P1A (this year’s model number is FAC107S1A)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

An update.

I was doing a bit more searching on the internet Tuesday night and somewhere, someone said that Lowe's put their units on sale for 1/2 price. Well, the one I was looking at (Frigidare FAC107P1A or S1A) still came up as $416 which is full price.

I then clicked to the thing on the Lowe's site that said to shop at your local store. I pulled up the item and there it was... 1/2 price!!!

So I bugged out of work early yesterday and went to Lowe's. They had both this and last years models sitting there so I obviously grabbed the newer. After pondering for a minute, I loaded another (so I bought 2 of them). I figure if one shop area/bay should have A/C, so should the 2nd bay.

I installed it through the wall into the back part of the building. This one does drip so I'll need to find/buy a drain hose (especially since I mounted it above a door). I'll mount the other unit over the weekend.

Oh, Lowe's has a few things at a decent price this week.
I also picked up:
(2) 42" ceiling fans with light fixture... $15 each.
16' Werner aluminum extension ladder... $59