• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

oils for aircooled motors

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i was talking to a vw machinist the other day while ordering up a new transmission and the subject of oil and oil pressure came up first off his rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm and he did not recomend synthetic oil in air cooled motors as he had seen tests showing synthetic oil moving away from heat wich is a bad thing for air cooled motors which use oil to help cool the engine my recomendations is to use aero shell aircraft oil in aircooled motors and fit te engine with engine oil prheaters like tannus heaters to give you guick lubracation on start up aero shell is specificaly made for aircooled motors wich are put tocether looser and are subjected to a lot more heat extreems.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I don't know about that, synthetic oil is pretty good because it handles heat really well and doesn't break down like conventional motor oil does. I have used the moble one for years in everythingfrom air cooled motor cycles to cars and trucks.

I would get some more data before I took just one guys words for it + or - n it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that was my thaughts to on a vw motor the oil helps to cool as well as lubricate if the oil trys to migrate away from the source of heat than it will not carrythe heat to the oil cooler the oil i'm using now is 15 w50 aero shell it's a semi synthetic i have noticed cht drop a the oil seems to cool down quicker the info i got was from a dunebuggy builder and those guys do have the info on how to keep the air cooled motors cool and running in high heat but this all came up after talking to our local hippie who is also an aircraft mechanic he said he read some where that some thing was taken out of moderen automotive oil that would make it not compatibale with air cooled engines he couldn't remember what it was but he also runs aero shell only i his bug motors.