• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Healthy Soup?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A new ABC7 investigation shows Campbell's "Healthy Request" and "Low Sodium" tomato soups contain the same nutrients and exact same amount of sodium as regular tomato soups, but they cost more. "Eek! Waiter! There's a scam in my soup!"

FINDINGS:
* Both the "LOW SODIUM" and normal tomato soups contain the same amount of sodium, 480mg.
* The "HEALTHY" and regular tomato soups are nutritionally exactly the same.
* Except "HEALTHY" contains 1.5 grams of fat while regular has 0 grams of fat.
* Normal soup costs $.99
* Ostensibly "healthier" costs $1.49

just480.jpg

CAMPBELL'S RESPONSE:
* "Healthy" varieties cost more is because the recipes are different.
* And they're made in smaller batches.
* Fat was added for flavor.
* And to help the body absorb nutrients.
* "Healthy" claim falls within American Heart Association guidelines.
* "25% less sodium" claim is as compared to the average "all varieties" of condensed soup, not just tomato.

CONSUMERIST'S TAKE:
* Classic example of two-tiered pricing, and deceptive marketing.
* It seems we live in a culture where everything is perceived as unhealthy until a marketing message tells us otherwise.
* Always read the fine print, even on your freakin' cans of plain tomato soup.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So what the hell do I do with the 2 CASES of low sodium soup I just bought last month? This shit pisses me off to the max. Might as well eat what I want and what tastes good.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think I read this some place before a long time ago. It is too bad as this is something that could really hurt the company.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the wife made some good homemade chicken corn with carrots,onions and potatoes for supper tonight. I just add some pepper from the grinder and a little Mrs.Dash and it is great and I know it is health for me. It just makes me mad when you buy something that is supposed to be what the docs tell me I must do and it turns out to be a lie!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
If you listen to dietitians you are better off eating what you want. Not long ago eggs where the bad food now whole eggs lower cholesterol go figure. This it the biggest scam of all time, makes climate change out to be a joke by comparison. Your body turns food into bad things due to your personal chemistry which might be very different than someone else. One thing that is for sure eating fat will not increase cholesterol as you body just passes animal fat as waste. My great grandmother ate the fat off of our pork chops and was a life long diabetic, she lived to 105 years old. Moderation and a balanced diet is the key with exercise to living a healthy life period. As for the lenght that depends on you genetics more than anything else, just this uneducated person that has none of the problems that most around me do health wise at my age.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the wife made some good homemade chicken corn with carrots,onions and potatoes for supper tonight. I just add some pepper from the grinder and a little Mrs.Dash and it is great and I know it is health for me. It just makes me mad when you buy something that is supposed to be what the docs tell me I must do and it turns out to be a lie!
Check your physician's portfolio to see which food company he is holding. Follow the money...

I use just enough sat to pull some flavor, then spices and herbs for natural flavor.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I use just enough salt to pull some flavor, then spices and herbs for natural flavor.
Same here Joe, always a bit in the palm of my hand.
Even if the recipe calls for x amount of salt, I don't use that amount.
Whenever I've cooked for a group, they know they'll probably need the salt shaker:biggrin:

Muley, eat what you want but in moderation.
Most of the meal plans at work are AHA, - those foods are worked into 3 meals per day, and let me tell you, some of that stuff is too salty for me.

Joe, you're a soup show off. :yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't had much canned soup since I got married 28 years ago. My Polish wife hardly ever uses anything canned - it is all from scratch.

When I go to a restaurant, as soon as I taste the soup, I know it was from a can, and I don't eat it. Yuck. What is in canned soup that makes it taste so horrid?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I know I avoid eating in most restaurants due to the salt, probably only 2 times a year max. We tend to eat mostly home cooking with fresh ingredients. I do pretty much was PG does also taste then add a bit of salt if needed while when doing Asian using their ingredients no salt at all. My wife is also real sensitive to salty foods so we avoid them for her also. I've never been much though on salty foods ever. I also use a lot of herbs and other spices for flavor as Joe said, most of which I grow myself.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't had much canned soup since I got married 28 years ago. My Polish wife hardly ever uses anything canned - it is all from scratch.

When I go to a restaurant, as soon as I taste the soup, I know it was from a can, and I don't eat it. Yuck. What is in canned soup that makes it taste so horrid?
Fred, I use canned Campbell's soups undiluted in some recipes for the cream base.
Speaking of canned, Wolfgang Puck's soups suck!
Don't ever buy them.
Progresso is good, but for really good tasting canned soups, Amy's have some that aren't bad.
http://www.amys.com/special_diets/sodium.php

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I avoid eating in most restaurants due to the salt, probably only 2 times a year max. We tend to eat mostly home cooking with fresh ingredients. I do pretty much was PG does also taste then add a bit of salt if needed while when doing Asian using their ingredients no salt at all. My wife is also real sensitive to salty foods so we avoid them for her also. I've never been much though on salty foods ever. I also use a lot of herbs and other spices for flavor as Joe said, most of which I grow myself.

A while back Joe, some restaurants were pulling the salt shakers off the tables I suppose to encourage customers to try the menu without it.
Bob Evan's comes to mind. However, they are back on the tables now.

I made a seafood lo mein for dinner that called for salt and soy sauce. Horrors!
Didn't add a single bit of salt, didn't miss it either.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The problem with Progresso is the chemicals leaching from the cans they use. I forget the chemical but it is showing up in higher numbers than usual in a lot of people of late. Other brands don't have the problem and Progresso is fine with some but not others. It seems they used different cans for different products. We rarely eat canned soups but do use canned beans, tomatoes etc often. I think the last canned soup I had was Progresso clam chowder and it was good too.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
A while back Joe, some restaurants were pulling the salt shakers off the tables I suppose to encourage customers to try the menu without it.
Bob Evan's comes to mind. However, they are back on the tables now.

I made a seafood lo mein for dinner that called for salt and soy sauce. Horrors!
Didn't add a single bit of salt, didn't miss it either.

I ate breakfast in a Bob Evan's a while back but didn't notice it. Had French toast and bacon so not much need for salt there. Even the low salt soy sauces have too much salt and I never add more if using 90% of any of the usual Asian condiments.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Even the low salt soy sauces have too much salt and I never add more if using 90% of any of the usual Asian condiments.
Absolutely.
The lo mein called for specific amounts of salt and soy sauce, but I subbed small amounts of hot mustard, brown sugar and sweet chili in there too.
I guess you could say I make things based on recipes, are rarely follow them to the letter, unless it's baking- in which case, you must.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm pretty much the same PG. I find most recipes have too much salt and not enough pepper for my tastes but then I do my own spice blends and never add salt to any of them when I make them.