• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Strength of metal

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone know how much weight a peice of 2x2x1/8'' box section can hold at eg 3', 6', 9'?
Thanks for any help

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
Does anyone know how much weight a peice of 2x2x1/8'' box section can hold at eg 3', 6', 9'?
Thanks for any help

Mith,

I should be able to have the calculations for you by this evening. I need to look up some stuff in my books at work.

Most importantly....what material? I am going to assume just mild steel, and not anything special like titanium or stainless steel.

Unfortunately, no internet at the office for today, we are moving to a new office, and I don't think we get hooked up until tomorrow.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave that would be most excellent!
Mild steel yes, not rich enough for titanium :D
Thanks in advance

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,

What books do you use to find this stuff out? I'm curious to learn how you figure this info out. I'm assuming there's some handbooks with charts but don't know what they are.

I'm new to this metal work stuff. How new? Just got a little MIG welder and am still staring at it - a little scared to fire it up (also don't have the time).

Thanks,

PB

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
For the most part, you can find the calulations in a book called "Machinists Handbook". It is under a hundred dollars, but is well worth it considering the amount if info it contains.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Dave,

What books do you use to find this stuff out? I'm curious to learn how you figure this info out. I'm assuming there's some handbooks with charts but don't know what they are.

I'm new to this metal work stuff. How new? Just got a little MIG welder and am still staring at it - a little scared to fire it up (also don't have the time).

Thanks,

PB

Yeah, Dave's right, Machinist's Handbook. I don't have one, but a good friend of mine who is an engineer does. I generally call him. Of course he always asks me the "dumb" stuff like what is the carbon content of the steel etc. I generally answer "tastes like low carbon to me", or something just as stupid (on my part).

PB, fire up that MIG!! I just put on the 4th 11 pound spool last night. I think I like the .030 better than the .035. Unless you're doing all 3/8" or 1/2" stuff, it just seems like the .030 is a bit easier to look like a perfect caulk seam. What MIG you have? Mine is a Millermatic 251. I stick welded for about 30 years before I bought this MIG. I like it! :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo, it's just a Clarke 130 Amp unit. Got it for $299 with cart and all the accessories on Black Friday. Considering I've never welded before and have no heavy projects I figured this would be a good learning project. The welder seemed like a good compromise between a Harbor Freight and a Miller/Lincoln/Hobart.

I want to fire it up but I am swamped with a big work project (procrastinating as I type) and have no spare time. I pretty much have to wait for Sunday mornings while my wife and kids are at church to use the garage so windows of opportunity are few and far between. I have everything ready now but don't want to get immersed in it until I can spend some time on it. Probably not until January.:cry:

Then I'll probably start welding bucket hooks onto everything (Honey, why is there a large hook on the coffee maker?)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
Dave that would be most excellent!
Mild steel yes, not rich enough for titanium :D
Thanks in advance

Mith, I seriously apologize for not getting you this information!!!! :pat:

I got distracted and never got back to you. I hope this is still useful information. Below is a screen shot of the quick spreadsheet I wrote with the values you asked about. I have also included the spreadsheet if you (or anyone) wants to download it and play around a little.

Dave

Attachments

• Loads.jpg
    Loads.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Load Calculator.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 109

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, thanks, that calculator is perfecto!
I got the particular details I needed from an internet site, but it wasnt very good, the calculator is far more useful
Thanks again! :beer: